R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Losi L8ight engine mount problems Help??

On a L8ight has anyone run into problems with the clutch bell not extending long enough to align with the Spur gear? I have two O.S. motors here and the bell gear is at least 2mm too short from making full contact with the spur gear. The bell gear is flush with the end of the engine shaft too. No shims on the end. I never seen anything like this. This L8ight is all original including mounts. I can reach half the width of the spur gear with the tip of the bell gear but need about 2mm to make full contact. There must be a issue with the mounts because it appears the crankshaft itself is not long enough. Got any ideas?
Landmines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have the same situation. Its never been an issue for me. I just make sure my mesh is perfect. I am running a team Orion mte with a werks clutch and protek clutch bell. My mounts are the Losi quick change mounts. I have shimed behind the clutch bell and moved it a little forward but never far enough to expose the shoes. See pic. Hope this eases your mind some.
Attached Thumbnails
Losi L8ight engine mount problems Help??-20111103_161123.jpg  
plumbcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Okie dokie..works for me. I studying that thing for an hour before posting so I wouldn't look like I was losing it here. I use the M2C clutch. Either way, if the bell is at the tip of the shaft that's all you can do.

I see Fioroni makes an adjustable mount that can move back/forth for $78. I think I'll deal with this. I think the spur would take a while to wear and bells are cheap.

Thanks, that did give me peace of mind. I plan on debuting this Saturday.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

had this issue when i ran Losi because i run M2C clutch... all you need is the Kingsheadz one piece mount or losi one and you will be set, flip the top part around the opposite way and the CB is in the middle of the spur.

i used: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ge-Motor-Mount

this one works the same: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...GHT-8IGHT-T-20
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Thanks for the links. I'm going to run it like it is..for a while anyway.

M2C clutches wouldn't have anything to do with it. Like I said, if you have the bell shimmed to the tip of the shaft the motor itself needs to move forward because the shaft won't reach.

I don't like 2 pc. mounts but these a fairly stout. They should have given more leeway when designing L8ight. I guess Losi motors bolt holes are a few mm different.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

add shims before the collet this will move the whole assembly forward.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I found a way to extend it 1mm which makes me feel safer. I had to shim the bell out past the tip of the shaft 1mm. The bearing literally hangs over 1mm. I used a counter sunk washer that came with a shim kit a while back. I can let the bearing hang past the shaft yet the counter sink washer can still tighten against the end of shaft and I still have end play that's needed. Luckily, Ofna clutch bells is wide so the shoes don't hang out. I don't think 1mm on the bearing will hurt.

Attached a pic of the washer.
As to bigjayjay1 reply..the clutch has nothing to do with it. If you mount up a motor without the clutch assembly and see that the end of the engine shaft does not reach spur gear..shimming does nothing. There's no shaft left.

The mounts are simply not drilled/tapped in a neutral position.
Attached Thumbnails
Losi L8ight engine mount problems Help??-img_20111103_185800.jpg   Losi L8ight engine mount problems Help??-img_20111103_185816.jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbcrazy View Post
I have the same situation. Its never been an issue for me. I just make sure my mesh is perfect. I am running a team Orion mte with a werks clutch and protek clutch bell. My mounts are the Losi quick change mounts. I have shimed behind the clutch bell and moved it a little forward but never far enough to expose the shoes. See pic. Hope this eases your mind some.
Uhm, if you used the losi clutch bell and flywheel there shouldnt be a problem!
RcRacingAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcRacingAllDay View Post
Uhm, if you used the losi clutch bell and flywheel there shouldnt be a problem!
I really don't have a problem with my setup. I like the werks clutch setup far more than the Losi, I also like the protek clutch bells over the Losi. I guess that's why we are able to change things on the cars and not run only what comes in the box. Thanks for your input.
plumbcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Your first post and that's what you say?

I agree with plumbcrazy.
I've got some of the best clutches and I ain't about to start using kit clutches when I have a m2c or werks if I can absolutely help it. Mine is going to be fine.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmines View Post
Your first post and that's what you say?

I agree with plumbcrazy.
I've got some of the best clutches and I ain't about to start using kit clutches when I have a m2c or werks if I can absolutely help it. Mine is going to be fine.

Maybe if you knew who i was then you would understand because i have many years of experience and you would know this if you weren't a noob.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Maybe if you knew who i was then you would understand because i have many years of experience and you would know this if you weren't a noob.

Maybe if you didn't hide behind a User name and tell us " Who you are "
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
You mad bro.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
I just caught your post.
I could care less who you are that's for sure and care less how well a Losi clutch fits. I don't want to use Losi!! WTF does it matter? It's the first Losi I've owned and a was a good question. Isn't this that right place to be asking? Hardly classifies me as a noob. Go kick rocks somewhere else. No body has time for a smart***.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Come to think about it..probably a kid. He creates a account just to respond to "this post only" so his real identity is not revealed. Then ask "are you mad". Doesn't sound like much experience in anything. Silly