R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   WHAT DO YOU THINK??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/564957-what-do-you-think.html)

jamesdas 11-02-2011 10:38 PM

WHAT DO YOU THINK???

heeey guys, i a looking for a new nitro 1/8th offroad buggy, and i dont know what to buy, i want it to be a rtr , but not soo expensive, i want it to be fast!.. and good quality.. all opinions wouuld be taken into consideration
thanks james

jamesdas 11-03-2011 01:59 AM

anyone ? :/

xxxntwv 11-03-2011 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by jamesdas (Post 9862790)
anyone ? :/

Are you looking to race or bash it.if you are looking for a cheap racer then used is your best option.

jamesdas 11-03-2011 02:55 AM

oh sorry i didnt mention that mate, um mostly basher, with a little bit of racing down at the track :)
thanks james

merdith6 11-03-2011 04:34 AM

Well

Hotbodies has a new rtr buggy that is pretty much a d8. It looks really nice and you can always buy a nice steering servo, and a good race engine down the road...

xxxntwv 11-03-2011 02:59 PM

If you are mostly going to bash it and want something cheap then I recomend the hyper 7.if you think you might race more often then the losi rtr is a nice car.the losi is more expensive but you get nicer equipment with it.

Zao18 11-03-2011 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by merdith6 (Post 9863062)
Hotbodies has a new rtr buggy that is pretty much a d8. It looks really nice and you can always buy a nice steering servo, and a good race engine down the road...

Yea, it's called the HPI D8S. Both it and the HPI Vorza e-buggy are based on the D8, and if the D8S is anything like the Vorza, it will apparently be very durable, so it'd make a great basher. It also has a pullstart on it, which makes it more convenient for bashing (no starter box or spinstart driver). HPI has a reputation for tough, durable plastic.

For pure racing, go with the Losi 8ight RTR. Great radio gear, comes with a starter box, lots of hop-up racing parts available too. It might be a touch fragile for bashing though.

Frank L 11-03-2011 04:32 PM

It all depends on price and if you are going to be competitive on the track. If the track dosent matter then go for the hyper if it does then go for the Losi.

wunderracer 11-03-2011 04:46 PM

My vote is for the Hotbodies D8S rtr, Hotbodies cars are super durable and you can upgrade it easily to a full out racer if you want to do that later on.

Sylvain 11-03-2011 05:04 PM

No problem with the Hot Bodies but I'd like to know, why you want a buggy is you plan to mostly bash? Why not a truggy?

jamesdas 11-03-2011 10:10 PM

thanks guys :).. yeah um mostly bashing with some races hear and there..

and um im not sure ive never had a truggy, so im not u to them..
thannks james

jamesdas 11-03-2011 10:15 PM

thanks guys :).. yeah um mostly bashing with some races hear and there..

and um im not sure ive never had a truggy, so im not u to them..
thannks james

EEL Monster 11-04-2011 12:27 AM

Truggys are better for bashing :nod:
They are less upset by bumps & obstacles with wider track and bigger wheels
Beware of RTR!!!! The kit that you need to upgrade always costs you more in the long run
You'll just end up having to upgrade servos & radio gear in the immediate future and RTR engines are ssslllloooowwww compared to factory tuned race engines
If I were to do it all again, I'd get a Serpent 811 chassis, Savox SC-1258TG servos, Massive Mods MG66 engine & a Spektrum DX3R Pro Race TX/RX
All up, probably somewhere in the vicinity of $1000, but you've got great quality stuff that won't need upgrading any time soon and will be competitive at the races

jamesdas 11-04-2011 07:30 AM

yes, i know what you mean mate,buying a kit probably would be the best bet, but i dont have that much money, cause im only 14.. i only have a couple of hundred. like $600...
thanks james

ghost68 11-04-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by jamesdas (Post 9867943)
yes, i know what you mean mate,buying a kit probably would be the best bet, but i dont have that much money, cause im only 14.. i only have a couple of hundred. like $600...
thanks james

For a Buggy the answer is the Losi 8IGHT RTR. Comes with a great radio (the best radio in any RTR period) and everything you need to have fun on and off the track. The only other options I would consider are the Hyper7 or the Ultra LX2. But keep in mind that the Losi is a race kit that will be fun off the track but be very competitive on the track (even bone stock) whereas the Hyper7 and UltraLX2 are basher kits that wouldn't fare so well in a race. Any of them will be fun to drive.

Someone mentioned getting a Truggy earlier and the 8IGHT-T RTR is right around your budget and as stated above will handle bashing a LOT better.

No matter what you get don't forget to budget in a Glow Igniter, Fuel Bottle and NiMH batteries if you get a car with a starter box.