Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what 1/8th scale nitro buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default what 1/8th scale nitro buggy?

Hey everyone new to the forum but not new to R/C cars.

I used to race 1/10th scale electric at my junior high YEARS ago. Had a Tamiya TL01 and a traxxis bandit. Sold my stuff 6 years ago.

My brother in law used to race 1/8th scale nitro buggy and stadium trucks. He still has his cars and last week we decided to get them running. I know the buggy is the mp777 dont remember what the ST is but its also kyosho. We got the ST running but the buggy still hasn't been put back together yet.

I am now looking into getting a 1/8th scale nitro. I like the stadium truck but he swears the buggy is more fun to race with.

I don't have much money to throw at a RC car, I'd like to stay around 400. What are some options you guys would suggest?

It's been so long since I have even looked at RC cars. So many new companies and new technology.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Any info would be great.

It seems as if ofna offers a few in my budget.

I ultimately want something that doesn't break the bank right away but I can upgrade to be competitive if I start racing it.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

therer are so many good cars out there... i would go to your local track and see what is all run there.. find a brand that you can get parts trackside when you break.. serpent, associated, losi, mugen, xray and kyosho would be the front runners... look thru the for sale section for some really good deals on all makes and models of 1/8th scale buggies.. jeremy
Old 10-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Your looking at the right time of the year, since outdoor season is ending you can get some really good deals on used items. Example my buddy just sold a kyosho mp9 tk2 for 400, less then half price.
I would look at Associated or Losi, if they are at you local track or hobby shop. you can get an associated 8b with the worlds parts for pretty cheap now since the 8.2 just came out. The parts are available and pretty cheap. I know associated arms are $11 a pair.
while a new car is nice. You could get a used car for a decent price, get a used engine a couple gallons old is still pretty safe if its only low on compression you can get it pinched by ray at rayaracing.com for $20. At that point you could get a used radio for pretty cheap. I would buy new servos so that you can get a warranty. And yes buggy is probably the best to race as the class is strong and has remained strong over the last several years.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply's guys.

One thing that is scaring me away from used is, who knows how it was treated. I could buy a used car for half the price and then week later need to dump the other half into it.

Locals run kyosho and losi mainly.

Dont know what is with chicago area people but they go all out on anything with an engine lol
Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

losi 8ight,associated rc8 the agama buggy and the xray and kyosho buggys are all good options. just depends on how much you want to spend. you can find the older addition rc8's pretty cheap new in box still
Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Know anywhere that I can look at the older edition and the cheaper price? I've checked around a few websites and never saw that.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by steveo9043
Know anywhere that I can look at the older edition and the cheaper price? I've checked around a few websites and never saw that.
The Hot Bodies D8 is a good option. We started and learned with it (really meant to say crashed alot with it) and held up very well. Have since gone to the D8 Hara Edition. We are very happy with the Hot Bodies. There are a few older versions of the D8 out there that could be bought for a deal new. Even with the deal you would be over 400.00 considering you have to get a motor..As others have said going used is probably the way to go and a used D8 could be in your price range.