R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Need Some Help Choosing 1/8 Scale RTR Kit Plus Questions

I've gotten the okay from the wife to get back into the hobby after the first of the year, and I've narrowed the choice down to a total of four 1/8 scale RTR buggy kits, those being:

Kyosho Inferno Neo Race Spec
Hot Bodies D8 Race Spec
Associated RC8 Race Spec
Losi 8ight-2.0

On everything except the Losi, I have the option and breathing room of upgrading the radio (from what I was told by my LHS, the radio in the Losi kit is the best out of the bunch as far as RTR kits go). My previous experience with RC cars and trucks was a RC10T4 Brushless RTR that I ended up selling on here after just about a month with it. Since I've not done any nitro racing before, I have a few questions about it:

1.) How long does a motor break-in normally take? I've seen this mentioned before, and even remember a forum thread dedicated to motor break-ins. Also, I'd like to know how much nitro fuel I need to buy for the break-in process (whether it's a quart or a gallon).

2.) How much run-time should I expect out of a tank of fuel? I know that on most of these cars, there's anywhere between a 75-150cc fuel tank.

3.) Is it worth purchasing the fuel in large quantities? I know places like A-Main sell four gallon jugs of fuel.

A lot of people at my LHS run Losi and they stock the parts for the 8ight, but I wish I could afford something like a Mugen, that way I'd have a fighting chance whenever I go to my other hobby shop a couple hours away and race

Any suggestions and comments are definitely welcome!
mikeohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeohara View Post
I've gotten the okay from the wife to get back into the hobby after the first of the year, and I've narrowed the choice down to a total of four 1/8 scale RTR buggy kits, those being:

Hot Bodies D8 Race Spec
Associated RC8 Race Spec
Losi 8ight-2.0

On everything except the Losi, I have the option and breathing room of upgrading the radio (from what I was told by my LHS, the radio in the Losi kit is the best out of the bunch as far as RTR kits go). My previous experience with RC cars and trucks was a RC10T4 Brushless RTR that I ended up selling on here after just about a month with it. Since I've not done any nitro racing before, I have a few questions about it:

1.) How long does a motor break-in normally take? I've seen this mentioned before, and even remember a forum thread dedicated to motor break-ins. Also, I'd like to know how much nitro fuel I need to buy for the break-in process (whether it's a quart or a gallon).

2.) How much run-time should I expect out of a tank of fuel? I know that on most of these cars, there's anywhere between a 75-150cc fuel tank.

3.) Is it worth purchasing the fuel in large quantities? I know places like A-Main sell four gallon jugs of fuel.

A lot of people at my LHS run Losi and they stock the parts for the 8ight, but I wish I could afford something like a Mugen, that way I'd have a fighting chance whenever I go to my other hobby shop a couple hours away and race

The D8 is not a RTR. All have 125cc tanks (the legal max).
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Here's the Hot Bodies RTR I mentioned Nitro: D8S RTR Preorder
Old 10-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Here's the Hot Bodies RTR I mentioned Nitro: D8S RTR Preorder
You listed as one of your choices the D8 race spec. The D8S, marketed by HPI (with a pull start) is definately not race spec. I forgot that HPI was offering this model. Not to say that it is not a good choice for fun and bashing.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

see answers in red. (Best of my knowledge)
Quote:

Hot Bodies D8 Race Spec
Associated RC8 Race Spec
Losi 8ight-2.0

RTR engines will be broken in after about a quart of fuel. High dollar racing engines take longer.

With a RTR engine you will get about 6-8 minutes of running on a tank of fuel

Buy your fuel at your Local Hobby Shop. Hazmat and shipping fees on fuel make it allot more expensive than driving to your shop

Losi is a good buggy, but they are made to wear out quickly. You will be spending allot of money every few months replacing parts that are worn out

Old 10-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

my bad, I did not know that. I guess that (the Hot Bodies RTR) can be scratched off the list.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:

1. It takes roughly 7-10 tanks of fuel to fully break it in. Yes, there is a thread on this forum that's great for doing break-in ("the engine break in bible"). As for how much to buy, a quart is probably just enough for break-in, but frankly if you really get into driving your car, a quart does not last long at all. Buy the gallon jug.

2. As nitro express said, all the cars you have listed are buggies, which all have a 125cc tank. With a good engine tune, you'll get approx. 10 min a tank....if you're lucky.

3. No clue. I spose it's more a matter of how often you'll be driving your RC. I think the best thing to do at the start is get the 1-gallon jug first, and see how long it lasts you.

The best bang for your buck on that list is probably the Losi 8ight buggy. It comes with a really nice transmitter (it has multi-model capability, so if you decided to build a kit later, you'd only have to pick up a Spektrum receiver, you'd already have a transmitter that would work), also comes with a starter box, and is capable of racing right out of the box, though obviously not nearly as competitively as someone's fully customized racing kit. There are also a lot of hop-up parts available for it later if you wanted.

A couple other RTR kits you may want to check out.....HPI has the D8S and the Trophy 3.5, both buggies. Two things to note though, they are both pull-start and their transmitters are far from fancy (though they are both 2.4 GHz). Also, I am not quite sure if the Trophy is available in North America yet. The D8S is particularly intriguing, since it is based off the Hotbodies D8 buggy kit, and is pretty nicely priced in the mid $400s.

Good luck, I hope you find something nice!
Zao18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Tech Adept

if your just bashing and liable to break often definitely go with whats supported by your local hobby shop!

as down time waiting on ordered parts can discourage a lot of guys away from the hobby

as far as an all round kit i think the Losi is the best total package as it leaves you just a small step away from racing if you wanted to start and its all quality stuff.

i hate pull starts...PERIOD!

roto starts are some what better and a good radio can really make a huge difference to your enjoyment factor

my 2 cents....

Mike
RC King Hobbies - onlinerc.com.au - Pro-Spec Race Bearings
pantera nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

I've narrowed down my choices to the Losi and the Associated kits, but I'm a long way off from deciding. At this point, I pretty much am leaning towards the Losi RTR based off what's being recommended here. I am also exploring other possibilities too.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Tech Regular

If we are talking rtr vs rtr here, I would choose the Losi over the Team Associated, for 2 reasons:

1. The Losi comes with a 2.4 GHz radio system, while the Team Associated only comes with an FM radio.

2. The Losi comes with a bump box, while the Team Associated comes with a handheld spinstart. While definitely better than a pullstart, it's not as nice as having a bump box, especially considering you can use the bump box on other vehicles.
Zao18 is offline   Reply With Quote