Community
Wiki Posts
Search

another noob to nitro

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default another noob to nitro

Just got a rc car today used. tore apart some but has a nitro engin on it. Atleast I think its nitro Ive yet to really look at it. It has a pull start. I will take some pictures of it and post them soon. Does all RC engins have glow plugs?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

nitro engines have glow plugs. unless is gas, then it will have a spark plugs
Old 10-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Adept

well it appears to take a glow plug. there is just a hole in the top. Think I am just going to pull the engin and adopt electric to the car May even put it on a different chassis since this chassis is metal and heavy. IDK I bought the car for cheap for a project to have fun with.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Tech Adept

ok it says xtm 75 on it My guess is that its xtm .75 here are some pics though

Old 10-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

Well, pulled the engin off. pulled the pull start off and the recoil spring is broke so tomorrow ill get out the needle nose and modify that so atleast it recoils some. Any thoughts on the xtm .15 engin?

Last edited by ridinloudprod; 10-25-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (99%+)

good luck at bending the spring a lot of them are tool steel & don't like to be bent of if they do bend then it will only last a few times. probably gonna have to buy a new recoil spring.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

yeah ill get a new pull start in time, string is looking a little rough 2. But just want to make sure I can get this engin to fire and run before i start buying that stuff for it. I would like to know thoughts on this engin xtm .15 How good is it? I see a few threads where people want to put it in there traxxas rigs and that xtm rates it at .85hp or something close to that. which to me seems like alot. a go cart with 5hp and weighs 60 times more with a person on it and does 30 seems like that should make a little rc car FLY!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You might want to go to stiffer shock springs if you install a kart motor.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ridinloudprod
yeah ill get a new pull start in time, string is looking a little rough 2. But just want to make sure I can get this engin to fire and run before i start buying that stuff for it. I would like to know thoughts on this engin xtm .15 How good is it? I see a few threads where people want to put it in there traxxas rigs and that xtm rates it at .85hp or something close to that. which to me seems like alot. a go cart with 5hp and weighs 60 times more with a person on it and does 30 seems like that should make a little rc car FLY!
I think they were selling this engine back in 2000. I don't think it was anything special. Judging by the condition of the vehicle, I'd be surprised if it ran without grenading. Before I'd buy any parts, I'd disassemble the engine to see if it's rusted up inside.

http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/part/146014.asp
Old 10-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (99%+)

does the engine even turn over?? like can you turn the flywheel by hand? also did you get the throttle linkage & parts for it with the truck?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Tech Adept

I dont think its rusted up. it all looks pretty clean. I can see the piston move up and down threw the glow plug hole and its silver. engin turns freely. When I pull on the pullstart I can feel some compression without any fuel or anything so thats good. I dont know If i got the linkage or not if not ill make one.. the guy I bought it from also threw in a traxxas tq controller, traxxas receiver, a couple other receivers, hand full of servos so IDK. Plus I got a couple servos and a extra controller and receiver. I just went to a 2.4 controller system for my rustler that I converted to brushless. so I can use my old controller and receiver from that if needed. I just ordered a quart of fuel a glow plug and a glow plug starter came to $28 shipped for the 3. we will see if I can get this car running. Only bad thing is I dont have a 3 channel controller to go with it. so I am going to try to rig up the throttle servo so when it goes into reverse it lets off the throttle and works the brake.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
I think they were selling this engine back in 2000. I don't think it was anything special. Judging by the condition of the vehicle, I'd be surprised if it ran without grenading. Before I'd buy any parts, I'd disassemble the engine to see if it's rusted up inside.

thanks for the link. the car does need a new spur gear though. I got no idea what the car is though LOL
Old 10-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nitroexpress

Is there any place with information on disembling engines? I might be trading for a used Kyosho 1/8th buggy I think it is a MP 7.5. I have never ran nitro before and don't know what to look at when deciding if I want to trade.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

I ended up ordering a new spur gear last night. and for info. search for the owners manual. the ones Ive seen haven apart views of the engin with part lists
Old 10-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ridinloudprod
I ended up ordering a new spur gear last night. and for info. search for the owners manual. the ones Ive seen haven apart views of the engin with part lists
Page 4

http://www.rctube.eu/download/rc/ins...ine_Manual.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.