R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Losi L8ight tire selection

What kind of tire selection for L8ight? Most people at the local track run buggy chassis. Can you not run buggy tires on L8ight???
Landmines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

They are the same size 17mm, but to run as a late model you will want the Losi dlm, dlm2, or ofna street tires, or if you are running on hard packed clay, check out rc4less foams. I have never seen lm's run a buggy tire tread. Ask the guys at the track what works for them. Your local track might be a spec tire, and if that's the case they will most likely be losi dlm2's. Get a couple full sets. You can get them on a-main. I think they are $26 a set of two and are premounts. That's all you will need for the year. Hope this helped.
plumbcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Tech Regular

We convert a buggy chassis (mounts, losi body, etc) and run whatever 1/8 buggy tire we want e.g. calibers, hole shots, etc.. Lots of tracks do it.

The track is hard packed clay but has a high sand content resulting in loose dust on the surface. There's some slight humps in the track on half. I think the racing line is around 260-275'.

No one here runs an L8ight..maybe one Ofna LM. All are buggy based late models.

I don't know much about the tires for the L8ight because anything out of the scope of buggy tire is beyond me for dirt oval here. I wanted to try L8ight. Which L8ight if any..tire would work on the track described.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Try these. I highly recommend the dlm2.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ellow-Wheels-2

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...White-Wheels-2

These two will be the tires that most run, and will give you that late model style of driving. For what you described don't bother with the foam tires. Those are for an extremely high bite, solid clay track, or concrete/paved. The dlm2 has been the main tire that the l8ights run on for a couple years, and are the only tire you can run in most parts of the Midwest. Some places allow others like the first link or the ofna street tire. You will notice a huge difference with either. The dlm2 last a long time as well, even on your high sand content track. With the length of your track you should be running at least a 16/48 gear ratio. .21's are your friend with the l8. Remember, you don't need the most power full motor either. Most of the time, the more motor = the more tire spin, and the more the tires spin the looser the car will be. Diffs fluid is also a huge change from a buggy setup. I run 125k in the front, a spool in the center, and 10k in the rear. If you need any more help just let me know,either on here or by pm. Also check out dirtoval.com there is a lot of information you can absorb over there. Have fun, turn left!
plumbcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Outstanding information..that helped me a ton. Thanks!!!