R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #31
Tech Elite

It might have to do with supply and demand, but I bet it has to do with increases in shipping and possibly production.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #32
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
From what I have found out today, it is Federal law, not state law, however the state can add to it if they want. Under Federal law it falls under price fixation. The only way it can be different is like you say, you agree to it. I can't see anyone trying this in RC. RC falls under the want list not the need list. Way to much competition in this area of retail.

As for prices going up, the only price increases that we have been made aware of currently has been Traxxas and HPI/HB. These are increases across the board, not just selected items.
I think AE had a small increase as well. I know they recently sent out new MAP pricing which was not accepted with joy. Personally I think price fixing in RC would be a good thing. Ebay kit breakers have just killed the local hobby shops, and the big 3 on-line retailers get 80% of the rest of the business. You know as well as I that its a constant struggle for us little guys to make any money. Your only real hope is to constantly adapt your inventory to reflect what most locals are running, and then you have to have what they need in stock and be the same price as buying it on-line. There is no loyalty in this business either. Your best friend will buy a kit on-line if he can get it for $20 less than you can sell it for
Old 10-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I think AE had a small increase as well. I know they recently sent out new MAP pricing which was not accepted with joy. Personally I think price fixing in RC would be a good thing. Ebay kit breakers have just killed the local hobby shops, and the big 3 on-line retailers get 80% of the rest of the business. You know as well as I that its a constant struggle for us little guys to make any money. Your only real hope is to constantly adapt your inventory to reflect what most locals are running, and then you have to have what they need in stock and be the same price as buying it on-line. There is no loyalty in this business either. Your best friend will buy a kit on-line if he can get it for $20 less than you can sell it for
Yeah Jaxx the hobby Biz is a ruff one very cut throat these giant Hobby companies really hurt the small companies by Volume they also get discount by sale percentages correct?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

One thing I have learned is there is no solid answer to anything anymore.

With distributors, there is a certain amount of rebates if you spend more but that tactic is nothing more than distributor competition. It's hard to spend with just one distributor anymore.

For us, if we just dealt in RC, we would have been out along time ago. We are full-fleged hobby and craft store. It takes it all to make it work for us.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #35
Tech Adept

This one is REALLY easy... Its called inflation...
I would like to say Thanks to my sponsors: Team OFNA and Sidewinder Fuel
ghost68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #36
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
One thing I have learned is there is no solid answer to anything anymore.

With distributors, there is a certain amount of rebates if you spend more but that tactic is nothing more than distributor competition. It's hard to spend with just one distributor anymore.

For us, if we just dealt in RC, we would have been out along time ago. We are full-fleged hobby and craft s
tore. It takes it all to make it work for us.
It's smart that you adapted to survive. Its also a joy to able to make a living at something you love. My furniture store pays my bills. The hobby shop is just a passion and because I got tired of all the local shops never having what I wanted In stock.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Price increases are not just with RC.

In the past few months Motocross bike parts has gone up about 5%.

It has to be something that deals outside of the RC world to. Maybe import costs, or Taxes. Possibly since the american $1 is worth less it is finally starting to show in our hobby expences.

All i know for sure is anything fun and worth doing, be prepaired to pay for it.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #38
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost68 View Post
This one is REALLY easy... Its called inflation...

well the only place where ive noticed it is amainhobbies not anywhere else i buy from for 1/8 rollers/kits. The parts from other websites are cheaper than them although like i said some of the parts from amain are $1 more and some are not

At least the Associated/losis.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default wow

You know I remember complaining about hobby shops not having what I needed until I got a chance to really see what happens in a hobby shop. It's brutal...It's super expensive to carry all the stuff for several cars...and every year half of it gets replaced with a new model....tires change, cars, batteries, radios. Its one of the most unreal situations I've seen....I'm not blaming big hobby shops, or anything else, there really isn't a solution, and it sucks. But prices have always been high for 1/8th scale. heck the original Kyosho inferno was like 900 bucks, not much has changed. at least we have some more inexpensive options these days....Tires are killing me more than anything....at least an engine lasts a good while....but I can roast a set of tires pretty fast....
Old 10-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #40
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
You know I remember complaining about hobby shops not having what I needed until I got a chance to really see what happens in a hobby shop. It's brutal...It's super expensive to carry all the stuff for several cars...and every year half of it gets replaced with a new model....tires change, cars, batteries, radios. Its one of the most unreal situations I've seen....I'm not blaming big hobby shops, or anything else, there really isn't a solution, and it sucks. But prices have always been high for 1/8th scale. heck the original Kyosho inferno was like 900 bucks, not much has changed. at least we have some more inexpensive options these days....Tires are killing me more than anything....at least an engine lasts a good while....but I can roast a set of tires pretty fast....

I have a LHS i do order from them because they never have 1/8 scale parts. so if i need something in a hurry forget it. But if im not i will order from them although they order from tower hobbies so its like $3.00 more than most of them so i just go to other online r/c stores that are cheaper and quick .

And yes 1/8 scale is expensive but it does depend on how the quality is and brand if the quality is not the greastest on the drivetrain or the supension parts it will not be cheap .

Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
I have a LHS i do order from them because they never have 1/8 scale parts. so if i need something in a hurry forget it. But if im not i will order from them although they order from tower hobbies so its like $3.00 more than most of them so i just go to other online r/c stores that are cheaper and quick .

And yes 1/8 scale is expensive but it does depend on how the quality is and brand if the quality is not the greastest on the drivetrain or the supension parts it will not be cheap .
U got that backwards... Parts that break alot are cheaper but thats not the case. Example kyosho drive train is cheap because they wear quick... This has nothing to do with kit pricing though... Thats whole nother topic... This is on kit price flunctuating, not parts price.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #42
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
U got that backwards... Parts that break alot are cheaper but thats not the case. Example kyosho drive train is cheap because they wear quick... This has nothing to do with kit pricing though... Thats whole nother topic... This is on kit price flunctuating, not parts price.

I know i was talking about the 1/8 scale kits and rollers also and saying that most online shops the prices on them have been the same for a long time.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #43
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Seem to be huge discounts on RB engines all over the place..

Makes me wonder if RB is slashing prices for a while to get a bigger foothold or something..

Don't know if that happens with kits though.

And yeah, Amain changes prices a lot. That's not all bad though. One, you can get good prices there. And two, it's good for them. Keeps you looking..

Does Absolutehobbyz do discount codes? New to them..
I agree on the RB Engines part. The RB F11 combo was priced at 305$ and now its 340$ or more at Amain
joydude630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #44
Tech Champion

There's a shop here in Germany with a wicked tempting deal on the RB F11 with pipe for €225.., and it says explicitly on the site: "Special offer til 13.01.12".. WTH is up with that?

There's something very weird going on with RB engines over here. Everything else is maybe getting more expensive, but RB engine prices are going down. I can understand a temporary deal, but why post that the price stands for the next three months?..

I'm even seeing shops on German ebay I've never even heard of selling the F11's for nearly the same low price..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote