R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-18-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default A good cheap nitro for a beginner

Hey I'm just starting in nitro and I'm looking for a cheap all round nitro. I'm not interested in racing it, just as a basher. I don't want to have to mortage the house to get one and dont wanna spend a lot of time fixing it. It doesn't bother me whether it's a buggy, truggy or sct either. Any advise will greatly be appreciated.

I dont drive faster then I can see,
besides it's all in the reflexes.
cannibal_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
Tech Adept

when i was about 13 i got an rc10gt and loved it. there easy to work on and tough, and i just bought a used gt roller off a buddy a month or so ago after not having one for 10 years.

i also think the t-maxx would be good for starting out, never owned one, but seeing all the youtube vids of retarded little kids driving them they gotta be pretty tough

just make sure you buy new. being new will help alot. knowing everything is there, and nothing is broken
FormulaOfSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibal_kelly View Post
Hey I'm just starting in nitro and I'm looking for a cheap all round nitro. I'm not interested in racing it, just as a basher. I don't want to have to mortage the house to get one and dont wanna spend a lot of time fixing it. It doesn't bother me whether it's a buggy, truggy or sct either. Any advise will greatly be appreciated.
If you want an 1/8 scale then the Losi 8ight 2.0 is hard to beat for what you get.. PRicey, but nice options to it.. If 1/10 the I sugget a Traxxas with 3.3 engine, either T-maxx or Revo. Parts are available fomr pretty much every Hobby store in the country.. A HPI Savage would also be a good choice..
Old 10-18-2011, 05:37 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

get almost anything traxxas. They're tough, priced well, and you can get parts everywhere. Like stated above also buy a new one. I bought a used one for my first nitro years back and it was a pain. Go to yout local shop and ask their opinion, and see what they have their instock.
hart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

To be Honest, there is no such thing as a good cheap nitro, what I would do is look on the forums in the for sale section, lots of times you can find a good deal and start from there.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart21 View Post
get almost anything traxxas. They're tough, priced well, and you can get parts everywhere. Like stated above also buy a new one. I bought a used one for my first nitro years back and it was a pain. Go to yout local shop and ask their opinion, and see what they have their instock.
+1

if you want speed I would get the Jato 3.3 and for just bashing around and super tough I would suggest the Revo. I have had both and they are both pretty tough.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Team Associated RC8T RTR.

Or splurge and get the SC8..

Traxxas' are only cheap new out of the box. Then they become expensive as you learn that to make them half-way durable, you have to practically rebuild them using upgrade tuning parts.

A Losi Aftershock or HPI Savage X 4.6 would also be worth a look..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

for just bashing and fun HPI savage is great, it`s alot stronger than any traxxas.
I got an old savage 25, that needed some upgrades to make it better, but I belive the new ones are pretty bulletproof out of the box allrdy.
And for the cheap part you can look at sale forum here, there are some great deals there (especialy if someone is getting out of the hobby)
snaxez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

After a 20 year hiatus, I got back in the hobby with the 3.3 Revo. I loved it.

You'll go through some growing pains learning about nitro and maintenance in general, but the vehicle is awesome and will give you a great experience.

I agree with those that have said to buy NEW. That is key because you "don't know, what you don't know" and might end up with a lemon. You'll chase your butt trying to fix something and get soured on the hobby real quick.

eBay or any hobby store will have parts for the Revo.
305M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibal_kelly View Post
I don't want to have to mortage the house to get one and dont wanna spend a lot of time fixing it.
These two things, unfortunately, are things you will have to deal with if you really want to run nitro. Coming from an electric background, nitro is expensive. $25 a gallon for fuel is pricey, now consider the fact that it is possible to run through fuel pretty quickly when you get out and start bashing and it starts to get pretty expensive. Also, you will have to work on and tune the motor and change clutch bell bearings, airfilters, fuel tubing, and then cleaning the thing is a whole different task that you WILL have to do.

If you want something that you really don't have to mess with and is ready to drive when you want to drive it, just do yourself a favor and get you something electric. It will be much more fun for you in the long run.

/ Nemo Racing USA /Agama / Pro-line Racing / VP Powermaster / RC Shox / Triton RC / Dutch Oven Designs / Paradise Air / TIX RD /
Racerx336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx336 View Post
These two things, unfortunately, are things you will have to deal with if you really want to run nitro. Coming from an electric background, nitro is expensive. $25 a gallon for fuel is pricey, now consider the fact that it is possible to run through fuel pretty quickly when you get out and start bashing and it starts to get pretty expensive. Also, you will have to work on and tune the motor and change clutch bell bearings, airfilters, fuel tubing, and then cleaning the thing is a whole different task that you WILL have to do.

If you want something that you really don't have to mess with and is ready to drive when you want to drive it, just do yourself a favor and get you something electric. It will be much more fun for you in the long run.
i have better luck with nitro than electric. Ive got an old T3 that i decided to go brushless and lipo with, it hauled ass but everytime i drove it something new was wrong, now its crap and im lookin for a new vehicle for my brushless/lipo setup

bought a GT with no motor off my buddy, put an OS .18 in it, tuned it in after break in and havent even touched a needle since. Starts easy everytime and runs awesome. I still love nitro
FormulaOfSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

Just for bashing I would go with the savage. I used to beat the crap out of them and they kept coming back for more
rceefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

x3 on the Savage.

No vehicle is "beater proof"... but if you are reasonable with what you try and do with the vehicle, the Savage is a tough beat... plus most LHS carry or can get HPI parts.
Shawn_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Talking what is a good traxxas to start out with?

i have the traxxas stampeed electric but i blew out all of my moters and don't want to buy any more. what would be a good nitro to start out with? does any one have one they would sell?
traxxas rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Losi TenT Truggy