R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have a Losi 2.0 Buggy and 2 motors for sale. One is an OS vzb modded by CEO and the other is an X7 from Houston. Both are .21. If you're interested, I have everything listed on eBay. Whatever works for you, just let me know.
Blackjack 26
Aka: Deebo, Poppa Pump / Busted Knuckle Wheelin' / Henchmen Racing
dnebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i like my Losi 810 nitro buggy. for $400 new its a pretty good deal. there are cheaper, like the Thunder Tiger buggy, but it doesnt have the parts support in my area.
Mattpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hot Bodies is coming out with an RTR version of the d-8 . Maybe a good option.
The d8 is a good kit so i would think the RTR would be pretty good also. See if this link works, if not ck. amainhobbies.com

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...GHz-F35-Engine
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:16 AM   #19
Tech Rookie

Hey all, thanks for the imput it's greatly appreciated. I was thinking about the hpi e firestorm nitro. Any reviews or advice would help greatly.

I dont drive faster then I can see,
besides it's all in the reflexes.
cannibal_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #20
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

For bashing, you better go with something bigger... and 4x4

Truggies are excellent bashers and more durable than monster trucks.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 truggy
I honestly believe the truggy is the best basher vehicle out there. You get the durability of 1/8th scale. Its monster truck roots allow it to cruise thru almost anything. .21 size motor with large fuel tank equals longer run times. And if you wanted to go race around track it still handles great unlike alot of other basher vehicles.
Iv been contemplating on the Losi Ten-t Or Ofna Hyper 10TT as a basher. Both are just 1/10 truggys. Both are priced decently $499 for the losi, $330 for the Ofna.
Jammin X1CR FTE, Corraly RDX Phi 09, 3Racing F1-09
Jammin#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

When I bought my first 1/8 nitro u was advised to get the TT EB4 S3, sofar been a great buggy, very tough, parts easily available, plenty of hop up parts.

LRD- Australian distributor of Werks Race Blend 30% fuel. Dedicated solely to the supply of racing products for 1/8 scale nitro Rc. -lazrd.com.au-
Nitro Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Just a headsup with the Losi Ten-T truggy.........the ROSS onboard starter is quite prone to trouble, headaches and failure. The gears in the starter assembly are plastic, prone to breaking. Also, the motor runs off your receiver battery, which drain it fairly fast. However, the rest of it is awesome. The kit is tough, it's 4WD, the engine is very peppy (it's a 0.20 engine, so it's almost overpowered for the size of the kit), and the radio gear that comes with it is quite nice. Thankfully, you can ditch the ROSS starter and put the spinstart backplate on (it comes off the Losi Speed NT, which has the same engine as the Ten-T). That's what I did, and it's been flawless ever since.

Having said all that, doing that setup is extra cost so personally speaking, I think I would choose the Losi 810 buggy over the Ten-T now. It has a pullstart so you won't drain your receiver pack on the onboard starter, and it has the same chassis as the Ten-T, so it's quite durable. Also, Losi now offers a 3-shoe clutch kit for the 810 and Ten-T now, with a bigger flywheel that lets you use a starter box if you want (you can also get a non-starter backplate for the motor if you want to switch to using a starter box).

I have also heard good things about the Team Associated GT2 (though sadly it doesn't appear to have a 2.4 GHz radio) and Traxxas Revo 3.3. HPI also has some nice offerings for under $500 like the Firestorm, and HPI appears to get a lot of praise for some of the toughest plastic on the market.

Now, if your budget extends to under the $1000 mark, there are some great options. Losi's 8ight 2.0 buggy and 8ight-T truggy rtr kits are great bang for the buck (they even come with a starter box), Team Associated's RC8 and RC8T get a lot of good comments, and HPI has a new truggy now, called the Trophy 4.6 (it's got a pullstart and has waterproof electronics). Pheww, options!

My personal recommendations: get a truggy (they are tough, highly tunable, and handle great on the track if you want to start going there), stay away from anything with an onboard starter (adds unwanted extra weight to the kit), and above all else, focus on something that has a 2.4 GHz radio on it (no worrying about interference, changing frequencies/crystals). Personally speaking, if I was looking for something that was good for bashing and maybe a little casual racing, that new HPI Trophy 4.6 truggy looks really tempting, plus HPI is great for parts and product support. Good luck!
Zao18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
Tech Regular

I just noticed Romax's post and link to the HPI D8S. Now THAT looks like one awesome deal! Under $500 for a fully outfitted 1/8th buggy based on the Hotbodies D8......that's hard to ignore. Definitely upgrade to a NiMH hump pack instead of the AA's though.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zao18 View Post
I just noticed Romax's post and link to the HPI D8S. Now THAT looks like one awesome deal! Under $500 for a fully outfitted 1/8th buggy based on the Hotbodies D8......that's hard to ignore. Definitely upgrade to a NiMH hump pack instead of the AA's though.
for what it's worth, Kyosho has a great 1/8th kit as well that A Main is selling for $350 - Kyosho Inferno NEO Race Spec

I'm looking at this and the D8S if the wife will let me move above the Inferno Neo
mikeohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As being a former firestorm owner I can say it would be a decent first nitro. It was actually my second nitro and I enjoyed driving it. I couldn't go everywhere I wanted with it as it was 2wd but it was fun in a gravel pit or out on the street. The front end on them is prone to breakage as there isn't much support for the small bulkhead. I sold the truck to my buddy and he has broke the bulkhead and front shock tower twice (running into parked cars and walls will do that though). I really never had a problem with it other than a broken a arm when I caught it on something at the park one day.

As a former Revo 3.3 owner I don't recommend it as a first nitro, it was kind of a pain to work on and I personally didn't care for it. The HPI Savage line is awesome, they are a little difficult to work on but once you figure them out they become easier to work on. For the most part though the only time you will have to work on them is if something wears out or you do something stupid and happen to break something. I have done lots of stupid stuff with mine and haven't had to fix much other than wearing out drive shafts and cups. You don't have to tune them much either unless the weather changes drasticly or you change fuel brands, just set the needles and drive for the most part.

As far as for buying new, the only vehicle I have ever bought new was my mini revo, everything else was bought used, either on this site, rcuniverse, or ebay. I have yet to buy something that I have had to dump a bunch of money into to get it running aside from ones that I bought in that condition to rebuild, I have had to replace a few parts but no where near the cost of a new one. The most expensive purchase was my Savage XL at $300, it was rtr and all it needed was a needle replaced in the carb.

Hope this helps.

HPI Savage X 4.6, Losi LST XXL, Losi LST2, 1/16 Brushless Revo/Slash, Savage XL 5.9, HPI RS4 MT, Losi Mini LST2, Savage XS
Uhgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #27
Tech Rookie

Talking

Once again thanks all for the wealth of knowledge about this. My mate runs a firestorm (electric) and it's fun to drive. I am getting a nitro to stimulate my other senses as I already have a couple of electric offroaders (blazing star, blitz etc) and want something I can use in all weather conditions. Having a 2.4ghz controller rtr doesn't matter to me as I have a spektrum tx already and I'll just grab another spectrum receiver and telemetry kit for the nitro. Less tx in the boot the better
I'm based in Sydney Aus and my LHS has hpi firestorm nitro rtr's for less than 400 bucks which suits the budget. Btw Does anybody have a cv cage nitro buggy? Another one of the boys has one and says it's the best thing since sliced bread. It comes rtr roughly for the same price as the firestorm so I was looking into it but couldn't find any info.

I dont drive faster then I can see,
besides it's all in the reflexes.
cannibal_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #28
Tech Regular

I would say you'll enjoy the firestorm a lot. My wife has the E-firestorm flux rtr (well technically it's hers, though I drive it more ) and it is highly entertaining. My only complaint is that it is too light, so it's really hard to control on jumps, but I suspect the nitro firestorm won't have that problem since it has a metal chassis (the e-firestorm's is plastic). If you do go with the Firestorm though, see if you can change the battery setup to NiMH hump pack. I noticed on the HPI website that its comes with a AA receiver battery setup. Likely all you'd need to do is buy the appropriate switch to hook up to a hump pack. AA's are useless as a receiver battery.

Let us know what you get!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:46 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeohara View Post
for what it's worth, Kyosho has a great 1/8th kit as well that A Main is selling for $350 - Kyosho Inferno NEO Race Spec

I'm looking at this and the D8S if the wife will let me move above the Inferno Neo
ohhh, i like that. always wanted a 1/8 buggy, that would be perfect. sweet bug without breaking the bank

i like that 1/10 buggy too. didn't even they made a 1/10 nitro 4wd buggy

but why does the 1/10 say 18" long, and the 1/8 says 14" long. wtf?
FormulaOfSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #30
Tech Rookie

Default Rc Hyper 7 nitro

im thinking about getting a hyper 7 rc car for my first nitro i have had an electric mini when i was little it went about 30 mph but now i want some thing about 40-50 mph but don't know what to get i would want a car in the price range of 300-400 i would prefer a nitro to an electric but if it was to be an electric it would have to be brushless

any recommended cars
G1BSON737 is offline   Reply With Quote