Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
???RC8.2, The CAR, or Losi 8ight??? Can't decide?? >

???RC8.2, The CAR, or Losi 8ight??? Can't decide??

???RC8.2, The CAR, or Losi 8ight??? Can't decide??

Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default ???RC8.2, The CAR, or Losi 8ight??? Can't decide??

So I've been in the market for a new buggy now for awhile. I'v been doing alot of research and nothing has really stood out and helped me make a clear decision.
Im coming from a Jammin X1-CR factory team, Iv had it since its inception awhile back, its done me good but Im losing places to get spare parts.
I do race a RC8T, which makes me think itll b better to get the RC8.2
But Iv like the looks and features of The Car since iv seen it. I havent been able to get to many opinions on it localy so i thought Id try here. Iv also had the Losi 8ight in my mind cuz alot of local fast guys run it. But im skeptical cuz i heard it likes to wear quickly.???
Yes i know in the end its all driving style and personal preference. Id just like To know your opinions and facts on these cars to maybe help sway my decision on way or another.
Thanks any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I figure if you have an AE, get another one for the interchangeability of parts and similar designs to work on. It would make your life easier. Plus the 8.2 just hit the market so it is the "latest and greatest".
Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

I used to run the Losi, and am now running the JQ.
I loved the Losi and the setup didnt need changing to often, which was handy 'cos I found that you needed to change a lot of stuff to make much difference. Part wear was pretty quick, however, it didnt seem to effect the cars handling too much, if fact Id even say that it handled a little better as a loosey!

The JQ is a different kettle of fish. I find it quite hard to set-up and is very sensitive to very minimal changes. A bit of a tweak here, and a little twiddle there and the car will handle completely differently. Part wear is OK. Dont stress about the fragility of the plastics as any car you buy now will have all the updated bits fitted already and they are as strong as any make out there.

From a driving perspective, I found the Losi easier to drive, but Im faster with the JQ.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jammin#2
So I've been in the market for a new buggy now for awhile. I'v been doing alot of research and nothing has really stood out and helped me make a clear decision.
Im coming from a Jammin X1-CR factory team, Iv had it since its inception awhile back, its done me good but Im losing places to get spare parts.
I do race a RC8T, which makes me think itll b better to get the RC8.2
But Iv like the looks and features of The Car since iv seen it. I havent been able to get to many opinions on it localy so i thought Id try here. Iv also had the Losi 8ight in my mind cuz alot of local fast guys run it. But im skeptical cuz i heard it likes to wear quickly.???
Yes i know in the end its all driving style and personal preference. Id just like To know your opinions and facts on these cars to maybe help sway my decision on way or another.
Thanks any and all help is greatly appreciated.
I think you might have answered your own question, If you have ran a x1 you will favor the new rc8.2. With the changes to the car it's a contender forsure now. I would purchase the Ae with you already having the truck and experience with the Jammin. I think you will see allot of people running the new AE soon.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RC8.2! Losi is a good machine too, but i found it twitched to fine tune. Also, Associated use more common design on diff housing and how diff are installed (I make reference of back diff on LOSI 2.0). I don't like how back diff on losi are designed.

So I'm gonna go with AE for me !
Old 10-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Easiest way to look at it (which is a huge stereotype), but:

There are the 'new age' buggies... Durango, Agama, Serpent, XRAY, JQ, Losi, etc.

Then there are the 'tradionalist' buggies... Koyoshi, Associated, HPI/HB, Ofna, Mugen, etc.

The 'tradionalist' buggies aren't inferior in any way. Called that because they are revisions, improvements, and redesigns of previous versions. They're stable platforms that are predictable. Tried and true methods.

The 'new age' buggies are complete redesigns that have their own unique qualities to them. They can be finicky to tune, but super fast if it's nailed right.

Each category tends to copy one another in some way shape or form.

Flood gates: open.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

Never really ever took a step back to look at it that way. I like the way you think.
Thats kinda what i was looking at that you know the RC8 seems more of a trational looking buggy. And the Losi and JQ seem to be new aged. I guess really thats the choice im making new aged or traditional tryed, true, and refined.
Originally Posted by Rsickles
Easiest way to look at it (which is a huge stereotype), but:

There are the 'new age' buggies... Durango, Agama, Serpent, XRAY, JQ, Losi, etc.

Then there are the 'tradionalist' buggies... Koyoshi, Associated, HPI/HB, Ofna, Mugen, etc.

The 'tradionalist' buggies aren't inferior in any way. Called that because they are revisions, improvements, and redesigns of previous versions. They're stable platforms that are predictable. Tried and true methods.

The 'new age' buggies are complete redesigns that have their own unique qualities to them. They can be finicky to tune, but super fast if it's nailed right.

Each category tends to copy one another in some way shape or form.

Flood gates: open.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

I think for me the biggest thing I was looking for was opinions on durability in each buggy. Im a more budget minded racer and i really wanted to hear from each of the different brands drivers how theyre car held up in the long run. Cuz hearing about the Losi wearing out real quick made me a lil skeptical but i just have alot of Losi drivers and support in my area. And the JQ is a newer chassis but seems similar to the losi, just its not lol if that makes sense.
Hearing a few more opinions i am leaning more towards the RC8 but would still love some more feedback.
And i thank you all and appreciate your help.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I personally have had the Jammin (X2), Losi and JQ. I currently have the JQ car in both electric (tekno) and nitro versions. I absolutely love this car. It's a LOT simpler to work on than the Losi and is more durable than the losi (except for the very first batch of JQ cars there have been little breakages in my opinion). The JQ runs Universals for outdrives instead of CVDs (cvds are nice because you can rebuild them but i hate rebuilding them). Any adjustment is very noticeable on the JQ car compared to both Jammin/Losi. That is a good thing and a bad thing. I enjoy looking for the right set up and messing with it to get a little better. I've currently found a setup im very happy with and i'm making minimal changes if any now, but i like the knowledge that if I want to make a change i will be able to feel the change made. The 8.2 is also a very good car. Very stable, and can be very fast. IMO your decision should be between the JQ and 8.2. IF you feel comfortable with the AE go with it, if you wana try something new/different go with the JQ.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

If you are worried about parts wearing out quickly get a xray or mugen they tend to stay "tight" for the whole life of the car. However if you do break a part it will cost a pretty penny to fix it.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nv529
If you are worried about parts wearing out quickly get a xray or mugen they tend to stay "tight" for the whole life of the car. However if you do break a part it will cost a pretty penny to fix it.
Stay?? Did you mean Xray??
Yea the cost factor of the kits themselves and also parts availablity in my area has swayed me away from both of those. I agree both are nice cars, iv drivin an xray of a friend before and really liked it and also how good the build quality seemed.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am not too familiar with the others but I am very familiar with the Losi. Losi's racing vehicles are mysterious . The reason I say that that is because if you have never driven a losi before and you run one you will say the parts wear out quick.

Why? Because they develop slop in them and it would seem that the part is worn out but it is not. Actually it is worn in; this is how Losi designs them. Their cars have a lot of slop. It does not makes sense to racers who have ran other brands because the wheels flop around too much or some of the plastic is way to loose and you want to put a new piece on it that is tight. But after a couple of races it is loose again.

Here is the mysterious part: with all that looseness and slop their rigs drive better! You are not suppose to have tight parts on a Losi. The tires are suppose to jiggle and the plastic is suppose to be lose, it is their design.

If you can allow your mind not to think about the slop and just drive it, then you will see that it works. However if you are consistently trying to take away the slop; then your are fighting the vehicle and its design. In the end it will not work out for you. So, if you think you can handle your parts fitting very loose and not be annoyed by it, then get a Losi. If not, do not get one cause you will hate it.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Well it was my birthday this week so i went buggy crazy lol.
Went with the RC8 then found a used 8ight and got that too. Next paycheck might grab a JQ lol. Cant go wrong when you have all of them lol.