R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Trugsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
Ok, so this isn't a which manufacturer is better than the next. Just want this stated.

I am going to be getting back into the hobby after about 7 years away. I last raced 1/10 Nitro on-road, but have falling in love with 1/8th scale off road. I have nothing that has to do with the hobby anymore, not even a single tool. I know I am going to want to race, it's the competitive nature in me, but I am trying to see what is a smarter path for me.

I have made up my mind I am going to run truggy at first. I can get a losi 2.0t rtr which has essentially everything I need to get started, minus a few things. I know ideally this is not the smartest path to go for a competitive racer. Mind you I need everything, and I have never raced 1/8th scale, so to me it is easier to justify spending a little more in the long run, between upgrading and such of a rtr, that to jump in all out for brand new everything in kit for and double my initial investment.

Eventually I plan to run Mugen stuff, with top of the line etc's. but I feel for starting out the RTR Losi 2.0t is my smartest path.

Money IS a factor as with the RTR kit I can essentially get going at the beginning of the year, where as if I piece everything together I am looking at the mid year mark.

What are your opinions, and why. ALSO I have been burnt so many times on this site with buying used stuff that I now refuse to. I will only be purchasing new from a reputable shop.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

I think You Have made a Verry wise educated Decision with the 8T.2rtr.
I also think you'll be suprised How well It actually goes for an RTR and Theres really not too much you need to do to get it to a full race machine.
New Servos are deffenetly a good idea.
also the Alum servo saver.
The V2 rear tower
and a decent engine/Pipe combo But all these you can add at your own pace..
A huge thanks to.
www.motorsaver.com (the absolute best filters and savers on the plannet).
Trugsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default well

I'm sorry man the Losi rtr's are great for someone who has never owned an rc car, but the box is not so good, the servos, the car is getting long in the tooth, the parts wear out faster, the radio is well ok, but you won't want to keep it. the pipe is ok, but you will want something better, the engine is ok, but you get the point....

I say go ahead and cough up the cash and get a Mugen buggy, a Nova p5, an OFNA blue starter box, an airtronics or Futaba radio (the 200 dollar ones)... A hitec 7955 or hobbico c-170 steering servo and that high speed Savox throttle servo...a regular old Nickel metal reciever pack and a turnigy lipo starter box battery...done...That stuff will outlast the Losi gear 5 times over...and save you tons of money cause you only bought it once....a few parts here and there, a new engine from time to time...and most of all you will get used to that radio, and car etc and will get better because you aren't changing things around...

Buy once, and race it....
Old 10-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The Mugen is a great truggy, a step up from Losi in terms of fit and finish but requires more finesse when driving or you'll be replacing broken arms left and right.

You can beat on the Losi rtr all day long and it will very rarely break. Servos will die eventually, and plastic shock caps might snap, but everything else is pretty durable. The truggy actually drives better over time as it gets worn in. I went the same route you're thinking of with the 8B RTR when it first came out. It was my first nitro, and basically learned to drive on it. I crashed alot, bashed alot, servos died and shock caps blew out but nothing else ever broke. Over time I replaced parts with race roller or aftermarket versions to the point that I now have a better than race roller buggy. In the end... was the total cost more expensive than starting out with a pro rig? Maybe so, but the rtr carried me fine throughout my learning curve and as it stands will last me many more seasons.

Just drive it until something breaks and add hop-ups here and there over time. You'll be getting an above average radio too. A below average starter box though.

If you're just starting out or getting back into it, it's the most logical way to go.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #19
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I was in a similar situation over the summer. A friend of mine talked me into getting my first vehicle. I researched for awhile and decided on the 8 t 2.0 rtr.

Overall, I am pleased with the decision. The car, runs well and is super durable. After 3 months of running I have yet to break anything on the car. I did have an extremely difficult time getting the thing running, but that was due to my inexperience with nitro engines. It took me 1 starter belt, and one wheel pulley set in the starter box to complete the break in (and about a month in waiting for parts).

If I had to do it over again, I would probably buy used from the selling section here. As muggydude said, you can find some really clean vehicles for a good price, often race ready. All you need to add is radio/receiver.

Buying from an individual through here does have some risks. But you can minimize them with the proper precautions. Follow muggydude's guidelines and your chances of a bad purchase are way down. Long term active users with lots of positive feedback are what you are after, and insist on pictures. Also, when paying, use paypal, and never send as a gift. Doing so removes any protection that paypal offers you as the buyer.

If you decide to go with the rtr, I doubt you will be disappointed. I just think you can get so much more value buying used.

If you do end up going the rtr route, keep these things in mind.

1. Get a 14.8v lipo for the starter box. They provide more consistent power for the motor and make starting much easier. You can get cheap ones online at hobbyking.

2. Make sure to preheat the engine/head prior to starting during break in. The stock engine is very tight. Getting the piston stuck tdc is common. But preheating the engine helps.

3. Order a spare starter belt (LOSA99424) for sure, and maybe the pulley set (LOSA99423). These wear quick during break in. I had to replace both, but again I had more problems with starting than I should of. If you are comfortable breaking in and tuning a nitro engine, you will probably be fine with just the belt.

4. The manual for the 8 and the 454 engine both state 2.5 turns are the factory settings for carb needles. In reality, mine were 3.5 lsn and 5.5 hsn (count yours before changing them, I have heard people with different settings on their cars from the factory). Both were insanely rich (causing my initial starting problems). But the 2.5 the manual says is too lean for break in. I had to lean both needles to do the break in.
Milk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Keep things in perspective. It's like everything else. There's always something better out there for more money. Sure a new Pro kit with a Novarossi and matching pipe and high-end servos and top-end box and three sets of spare tires and maybe a backup engine and hell even a second kit for parts are all great to have. But you have to decide on a comfort zone for you. If you're just getting into racing, the 8T 2.0 RTR is a good start. Get some better servos and off you go.

If you think you're really gonna get into racing and do it full-on for a season and have the budget, then maybe consider a kit with more high-end goodies.

As for the engine, run-time is overrated for club-type racers, especially beginners IMO. First you just want it to run right and be able to finish your races. The 454 will give you all the power you ever need - too much really.. And OK you'll get 8 minutes of run-time instead of 10. Which doesn't matter a whole lot for a five or seven minute qualifier or 15-minute semi..(which is what they often run here...)

You also don't really need lipos for getting started.
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Danny B

The best advice I got when I dove in to 1/8, If you buy Junk, you buy Twice.

You are doing the right think really researching before buying and as most have stated the Losi RTR is a decent starting point.

IMO, I would strongly consider starting out with a buggy. Truggies will teach you have lot of bad driving habits that can be hard to break if you switch to buggy later on or add it to run both classes.

Don't know where you are from but Buggies will out number truggies at most tracks 3:1

Since you have previous RC experience, I would save up to get RACE quality equipment from the git go. I would also highly recommend getting a kit, a lot of valuable experience to be had by putting the whole vehicle together yourself.

Welcome back and trust me you'll be addicted again in no time regardless of what you end up buying!
Danny B R/C Products,
LRT Raceway, Evansdale, IA
Danny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #22
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Also if you end up going the rtr route. Sign up for an account on amainhobbies. The price is cheaper for members ($709 vs $800). And they offer coupon codes for discounts. $50 off $500 or $75 off $750 purchases.

You would have to add a few things to get the $750 discount. But you will probably need a few things anyway (charger, tools, fuel bottle etc).
Milk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you want a mugen, suck it up and get the mugen.

If money is a concern you gonna spend a thousand dollars more between the two.

I say suck it up, and build a nice mugen. You dont need $500 engines and $150 servos.
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geejay View Post
If you want a mugen, suck it up and get the mugen.

If money is a concern you gonna spend a thousand dollars more between the two.

I say suck it up, and build a nice mugen. You dont need $500 engines and $150 servos.
+100000 RTR means "ready to replace" or "ready to repair". Buy it once and be done.
rfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfleck View Post
+100000 RTR means "ready to replace" or "ready to repair". Buy it once and be done.
not always... i've seen quite a few guys buying the RTR losi then just replacing parts when they break or wear out with the race roller parts.
but servos most defently need replacing.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #26
Tech Elite

If you want to run a Mugen, don't get the Losi. You are basically throwing away $$$$

I would recommend you get a Caster Racing RTR since they are at least similar, but once again, waste of money since you want a Mugen. However, you might think about getting Caster arms to circumvent the weak Mugen arms issue in truggy. (I can't believe I am saying that, but it is true)
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

i guess the RB one too. as some guys seem to be doing very well with it.

dont know how quality stands with it.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for all of the Informative replies.

I am starting to lean more towards buggy, as it seems that it would suit my on-road driving style a little more. I do plan on getting back into racing atleast once a month, but my main concern is getting everything spending the initial investment and not liking it as much as I had hoped. Then losing money hand over fist to sell things. I understand I would lose money either way. These are just my logics into justifying spending money.

I am always browsing the for sale sections and looking at stuff for sale. It is just hard for me to bring myself to buying something used, from someone whom I don't know. Just because people that race with him say he is a top notch guy who takes care of his stuff doesn't mean that is the case.

I have though with that said become a little more open to the whole used marketplace idea, and have a few guys that i know that are selling some stuff, in which I know they are very meticulous like me.

I am mainly like i stated looking for the entry level, I understand in the long run I would spend more money, but I am not a pro racer, nor do I expect my first visit to the track to yield a first place finish. As long as I am competitive enough to keep up, and give myself the opportunity to run up front eventually than thats all I can ask for.
Captcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default haha

"As long as I am competitive enough to keep up, and give myself the opportunity to run up front eventually than thats all I can ask for."

If your buggy falls apart you will not be competitive....nor run up front...New racers need a beefy race buggy more than the pro drivers...
Old 10-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #30
Tech Champion

This could go on forever. The RTR Losi truggy is a great place to start. Just get the kit and nothing else and go run it and have fun and replace something if something needs being replaced. And ask for some servos for X-mas.

I don't know about where you live, but I think in a lot of places buggy-racing is more uptight, whereas truggy is a bit more relaxed. I personally like driving buggies more, because they're more agile, nimble, and quicker, but I loathe the uptightness of racing. At the end of the day it's a hobby, which entails a tremendous waste(face it, you're not saving for your kids' education or donating to a worthy charitable cause..) of money, however seriously you want to take it. So to the OP, don't overanalyze it, just go with your gut and have some fun..

Truggies look cooler too.
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote