R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Buying 2nd hand Truggy - What to look for?

Hi,

Im noob in this hobby,

I got a great offer on a truggy kit:

h**p://worldwideweb.mudah.my/Kyosho+Inferno+STRR+1+8+Scale+Truggy+Nitro+RC+Car-11793112.htm

Please edit the link to see the pic of the car...

Kyosho ST-RR Truggy Kit,
Hitec Servo (Steering-7955tg),
Spektrum Servo (Throttle Z590),
Reedy NIMH receiver pack battery,
Jammin JP-1 exhaust pipe,
Sirio .21 Kanai engine.
Spektrum DX3.0 2.4GHz radio system and 3 channel receiver.
Team Associated Starter Box with 7.2v NiMh batteries,
quick fill fuel bottle and glow ignitor.

The price in USD is aroumd USD320.... so its kinda great deal....

What to check on 2nd hand truggy?

Im going to test drive the thing this weekend... so all your expert advice are valuable to me..

Rgds
Azfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Tech Adept

First and foremost: Look the kit over and see if you can find any cracked/broken parts and especially keep an eye out for do it yourself fixes... If you see superglue/zip ties/JB Weld holding anything together just walk away... Or you hear the owner say something like I modded this myself run away. Cleaning up the mess of a do it yourselfer is a nightmare and its the stuff you cant see that will cost you a fortune...

Are you going to try it out on a track? If you can watch the current owner drive it. This will give you a general idea as towards how much it was (or wasnt) abused... Also when you first see the kit judge how clean it is. Did the current owner take care of it or drive it and store it covered in dirt and nitro fuel...

Depending on how deep you can dive into it there are a few easy things to check out without tearing it all the way apart...

Take the shocks off and see how free the suspension is, it should be very smooth with no binding at all. Take the springs off the shocks while you have them loose and make sure the shocks still feel smooth. Then spin the tires and see how free the drive-train is. Lastly take a look at the center spur/clutch bell and see how chewed up the gear teeth are... With good mesh they should be in good shape.

When buying a used kit expect to replace all of the outer bearings, the arms/hinge pins and most likely the spur/clutch-bell/clutch shoes.

Kyosho makes awesome kits but the parts are very expensive so make sure to budget in required maintenance to the cost of buying used...

Hopefully this is helpful!
I would like to say Thanks to my sponsors: Team OFNA and Sidewinder Fuel
ghost68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Used is always tricky, but you can get good deals.

Basically, if it's much used, I would be very skeptical. If the chassis is original and isn't much scratched, that can be a small sign.

I think probably the most important thing is that the seller sounds knowledgeable, honest, and credible.

Look for things like very exact details of how often it was used, like "used two races and one practice afternoon".. And be wary of "somewhere north of 5 gallons...".. Etc..

Gotta' be careful. I personally am buying more and more used, as I think you get the best deals there. And again, how the seller sounds and comes across is key.
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Tech Prophet

boy its tricky buying anything used thats a 1/8 scale espially if its a losi eight buggy or truggy inless you buy from a pro driver. I whould know because i had a bad exprience buying a used "losi eight- 1.0 t" from a racer at my track it was a ton of $$$ to rebuild i could of got a brand new 2.0 t back than.

If its a 1/8 scale truggy thats has a good wear rate on the drivetrain/plastics than i whould take the chance and buy it.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to roblupo

The class is dieing and really exp unless your going to big races every time you race it, and then that makes it even more exp. So anything less than a STEAL is what I would look for. Truggy's wear out really fast and can lots of things wrong due to the wieght and speed. So bulk heads, drive train, out drives are pretty much worn after a gallon or two. If the bashed it, hinge pins, arms, and bearing are the next thing. I would only get it if you just wanted something to run till you can get a buggy or SCT. Those are the two hot classes right now.
Low Country R/C, Philhurdraceway.com, Savannah, GA
roblupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Yeah, as for wear, I'd be especially wary of a used Losi. Not that I know from experience, but I've heard too often that they wear fast.. (my LST2's are great though..)

Truggy is not a dying class. Maybe in some places where 1/10 electric toy SC's are more popular to get kids involved... But not everywhere by any means.
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblupo View Post
The class is dieing and really exp unless your going to big races every time you race it, and then that makes it even more exp. So anything less than a STEAL is what I would look for. Truggy's wear out really fast and can lots of things wrong due to the wieght and speed. So bulk heads, drive train, out drives are pretty much worn after a gallon or two. If the bashed it, hinge pins, arms, and bearing are the next thing. I would only get it if you just wanted something to run till you can get a buggy or SCT. Those are the two hot classes right now.

come up to the northeast you will change your mind.
I disagree about the incresed wear on truggys i dont know where people get that from inless its a losi than yes not bashing it just saying.

I been running a RC8TE and the wear is not that bad really acutally looser suspension makes it easier to drive.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Thnx a lot guys for your advice!

Truggy class is dying in malaysia, Theres only 3 drivers in my city.
Buggy still maintains its popularity...

Im just gonna bash it and fun race with rc fans in my city....

Im afraid we probably test the truck onroad....

What about the engine?
Check for compressions?
I dont have high hopes 4 it.... perhaps gonna replace it

Im worried about the chassis...hav u guys seen the photos? Is that too much of a beating?
Replacing it is expensive...darn i hate the price tag on kyosho!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default well

I check the outdrives and axles. If the outdrives are worn and the axles are sloppy chances are the rest of the truck is. Replacing a arms is one thing, but the drivetrain is another.....
Old 10-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

Ditch the previous seller as he dont reply and switch off his phone for a week

So theres another seller selling kit only....
Heres the pic...

What do u think?

Ill be viewing it tomorrow.