Wiki Posts
Search

Question on Tire wear vs Camber

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Question on Tire wear vs Camber

Drove my car pretty hard this weekend, Setup the camber on the Hudy station, -4.5 rear and -3.5 Front. When I look at my tires, I see the Rear tires wore out in the middle slightly favoring the outside of the tire versus the inside, the front tires wore out straight down the middle. I feel the car was hooking up good, but I feel it was possibly a driving error from traction rolling, and the camber gauge would have probably said -3, -2 versus the hudy. Does that mean I need to add some slight negative camber, maybe move to 5.0 rear and 4.0 front on the Hudy to get optimal tire wear?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That is some pretty dramitic negative camber numbers. I normally use 0 to -2.5 at most. Your front might be OK if the centers wore out, but your rears sound to have to much. You want your tire to ware evenly. To much negatve can be bad as well for handling.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcion
Drove my car pretty hard this weekend, Setup the camber on the Hudy station, -4.5 rear and -3.5 Front. When I look at my tires, I see the Rear tires wore out in the middle slightly favoring the outside of the tire versus the inside, the front tires wore out straight down the middle. I feel the car was hooking up good, but I feel it was possibly a driving error from traction rolling, and the camber gauge would have probably said -3, -2 versus the hudy. Does that mean I need to add some slight negative camber, maybe move to 5.0 rear and 4.0 front on the Hudy to get optimal tire wear?
It's normal that tires will wear in one area more than another; they aren't necessarily meant to wear evenly, as this would indicate too big of a contact patch (surface dependant, of course), resulting in unnecessary resistance and lower speeds. When your wheels have negative camber, because tires have a crown, it narrows your track, whereas positive camber has the adverse effect. It's generally preferable to run the rear wheels with very little camber and a little more in the front, but in the end whatever setup gets you fast laps is the hot ticket.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default eeeeh

I like to run the front with less negative camber than the rear. usually I never mess with that adjustment. about -1 in the front, and -2 in the rear...
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

What track are you running at? Aren't you from Texas?

With that much camber, it sounds like you are running on a high bite track. If that's the case and your tires are wearing close to the middle, that leads me to believe a few things are taking place. Mainly, it sounds like too much body roll.
This could be caused by the suspension being too soft for the track, sway bars too soft, ride height too high are the first things that come to mind.
For the track I think you are running at, I use a very stiff and low suspension setup and don't have to run more that -2 camber.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:06 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Unless your extremely smooth on the throttle all tires(1/8 scale offroad)
are going to wear the center out. Its centrifigul force causing them to expand and run on just the center tread during acceleration. If the fronts are wearing badly down the center or losing pins try a higher weight center diff oil.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JsK
Unless your extremely smooth on the throttle all tires(1/8 scale offroad)
are going to wear the center out. Its centrifigul force causing them to expand and run on just the center tread during acceleration.
I will say a lot of my side pins do wear some - from sliding the buggy around. Of course it all depends on setup, tires, track, and driving style. But I agree: centers wear the fastest.

To op: Are you running -4.5/-3.5 on the Xray or D8? That's A LOT of camber.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

When I setup using the Hudy, my camber is about 2 degrees more than when using an RPM camber gauge. For example -5 with Hudy equals -3 using the camber gauge.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rfleck
When I setup using the Hudy, my camber is about 2 degrees more than when using an RPM camber gauge. For example -5 with Hudy equals -3 using the camber gauge.
That is what I see too. Knew I wasnt crazy haha. So i think im going -5 rear -4 front, high speed turns this weekend. Dont wanna traction roll.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcion
That is what I see too. Knew I wasnt crazy haha. So i think im going -5 rear -4 front, high speed turns this weekend. Dont wanna traction roll.
I see the same thing......I've been trying to figure it out, I think it may be from all the weight of the car being on the slim gauges and it pushes it out more at the bottom versus what a tire would do therefore making it have more negative camber while the gauges are attached.

Anyone else have any thoughts???
Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

roll center, drop the inner camber link in the rear.