Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xray XB808 or Team Associated RC8.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Xray XB808 or Team Associated RC8.2

Which is better in handling, durable and availability of parts Xray Xb808 or Team Associated RC8.2?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Pretty much equal platforms there, both are excellent cars. It all comes down to personal preference.
The plastics on the Xray are a bit better quality and won't develop slop near as fast, but the plastics on the Assosciated are cheap enough to offset that.
Try driving both and see what fits your style better.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Initiate

I have had the 808

A top buggy to drive.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If you are new to driving, I would invest in the 808 as it can take crashes much better than the RC8.2 and give you some learning room without having to worry about something breaking. If not, then try to test drive one to see if you feel at home with it. I got to see the RC8.2 in action this weekend first hand and it is damn good. I use to have the RC8B and moved to the Xray, and I know on the RC8 I would always find myself on ebay buying spare parts every weekend since the car got sloppy really fast.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

2011 808...easy you'll see it when you put them next to each other..and i like feeling that the $600 or so I just spent went on something that looks like it is worth 600 bucks in terms of handeling i guess you'll never know unless you drive both...in terms of quality they are, IMHO, not even in the same class. the 2011 xray is the best quality period. my 2011 808 is my second one now, i had a 2008 and upgraded it to 2009, and that was my "starter" car...and i never broke anything on my 2009, even though alot of people were having bearing issues. on the 2011 kit this is fixed, they went with the conventional ala mp9 drivetrain. they are just built to last. If your worried about parts, let me tell you I live in South Africa and the only useless store that carries xray spares never has them anyway, so i just order, IF i need any from amain hobbies, which is once in a blue moon and mostly because of routine maintenance. i can promise that i go racing without a single spare part in my box...the carbon fibre on the 808 is the best of any buggy and virtually indestructible, same with the plastics. it's pretty much like this...when i go racing/wrecking due to my current sucky driving skills, and a battle between my 808 and the earth ensues, the earth loses everytime
Last clubrace, i made the A-mains for the first time, be it in last place. I was able to get 3rd place after a 45min main just because ALOT of the faster guys in front of me running everything from mugen to JQ to AE to durango ( not bashing, just saying) had car problems somewhere during the race...and i just soldiered on...to finnish first, first you have to finish i guess lol. the 2011 kit also comes with some nice hopup parts as standard in the kit, as wel as the best looking cab forward body available IMO. this is mine just befoore above mentioned event...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...ssues4/BOB.jpg

get one, you wont regret it.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Default xray xb808 or rc8.2

Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob
2011 808...easy you'll see it when you put them next to each other..and i like feeling that the $600 or so I just spent went on something that looks like it is worth 600 bucks in terms of handeling i guess you'll never know unless you drive both...in terms of quality they are, IMHO, not even in the same class. the 2011 xray is the best quality period. my 2011 808 is my second one now, i had a 2008 and upgraded it to 2009, and that was my "starter" car...and i never broke anything on my 2009, even though alot of people were having bearing issues. on the 2011 kit this is fixed, they went with the conventional ala mp9 drivetrain. they are just built to last. If your worried about parts, let me tell you I live in South Africa and the only useless store that carries xray spares never has them anyway, so i just order, IF i need any from amain hobbies, which is once in a blue moon and mostly because of routine maintenance. i can promise that i go racing without a single spare part in my box...the carbon fibre on the 808 is the best of any buggy and virtually indestructible, same with the plastics. it's pretty much like this...when i go racing/wrecking due to my current sucky driving skills, and a battle between my 808 and the earth ensues, the earth loses everytime
Last clubrace, i made the A-mains for the first time, be it in last place. I was able to get 3rd place after a 45min main just because ALOT of the faster guys in front of me running everything from mugen to JQ to AE to durango ( not bashing, just saying) had car problems somewhere during the race...and i just soldiered on...to finnish first, first you have to finish i guess lol. the 2011 kit also comes with some nice hopup parts as standard in the kit, as wel as the best looking cab forward body available IMO. this is mine just befoore above mentioned event...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...ssues4/BOB.jpg

get one, you wont regret it.
What engine are you using? and what kind of battery 5 cell hump?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Geiger
What engine are you using? and what kind of battery 5 cell hump?
At the moment im using a Alpha f850 engine, and in the batery box you'll find a stick/flat- Life pack...but i used to use the normal NiMH flat packs and my 1600 ones fit just fine. my Mylaps RS4 transponder is in there too. when the 2011 kit came out everbody was cringing about the fact that the previous 808 model had transponder mounts on the radio tray like normal and the 2011 seemingly forgot about this, but with the 2011 manual xray recommended that the transponder goes inside the radio box instead of outside and honestly...i like it there..out of the way and protected and it works just dandy. some guy at the track said i cant run it in there as it would not register with the timing gear...guess that was a myth lol. guess what im getting at is there is enough room in there for all the normal stuff most of us have. then i also run Savox 1256TG on steering and 1258TG on throttle..nice and fast..and cheap.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

808 has better quality plastic as in it doesn't wear out as fast. As for hard crashes and breaking stuff you can't go wrong with either one I have owned both (I currently run a AE) AE has worked out their bugs it's a solid buggy. Parts will run you more on the 808 and if you drive on a rough track the AE will handle better both are top notch buggy's hard to choose one...
Old 10-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

With regards to wear, XRAY cars are known to just last and last. The parts are spendy, but unless you intentionally try to destroy the car, you find that you'll need very, very few parts in your spares box.

RC8.2: can't say yet. I think someone in one of the (many) RC8 threads mentioned something to the effect that the plastics have been improved on the latest buggy, but I guess time will tell. Nevertheless, some parts are literally half the price of comparable XRAY parts, so it evens out.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default well

I've had an xray 808 since they came out and I agree the parts last a long time.

Just to be fair though, the axles and cvd pins don't really last that long. especially the center outdrives....and they are expensive...

and the a arms never break or wear out, but they do get bent fairly easily.

Overall though the xray is one of the best buggies ever made. sooo easy to work on an clean.

I have never owned an associated 1/8th scale but after watching the updated car run on the track they look really easy to drive....
Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So Far I've really enjoyed my Xray which is a 2010 modified with the Kyosho mp9 drive shafts. Its the absolute easiest buggy to work on being that the components are spaced out so conveniently. However, I've really been wanted to drive an Associated to get a feel for it. I recently saw the latest buggy while practicing at Vertigo/Ultimate RC and it was mind boggling to watch that buggy handle that rough track. I've always heard the plastics wear on Associated buggies but I think the Xray has got me spoiled with the low maintenance and replacement needs. But I honestly think with all the buzz about the plastics wearing the engineers of Associated have more than likely improved on the durability of the plastics but hey the plastics that you probably would have have to replace are probably prettty affordable anyway. from the looks of the buggy it seems like it comes with a gang of hop ups and metallic parts anyhow. I think you would pretty much have to just drive them both and make a personal decision but man that Associated Looked incredible at the track and my buddy talked to the guy that was rolling it David Joor (avid bearings) and he said that its soooo easy to drive that it takes the element of thought out of the driving aspect of the game. Mind you this guy has driven Xray also and the Xray is incredibly comfortable to drive so I think you just need to test it out dude.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

haha, don't try to compare Joor to anyone else. How many national titles does he hold?
Joor also loved his Xray and did very well with it. He could make a stock Slash look good out there though.
I had the original RC8 and it was a POS, literally. I got rid of it after the rear end fell apart and I had to pick the rear diff up out the middle of the track twice in one night. I put a new diff case on after the first time, 2 tanks later it happened again.
The 8.2 is a lot better though from what I hear. I pit for Joor at a lot of the big races and I can say that buggy really does handle good. Don't know if I'd give up my Xray for it though without some sort of chassis deal.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

My last buggies were 808's. I loved them. Incredibly easy to set up and drive and superb quality. The only downside is the quality comes at a price. The replacement metal Xray parts are very expensive, and the plastic is slightly more expensive than the competition.

I am currently very happy with my RC8's. I am in the process of building the 8.2 and it is a very very nice build. Everything just feels a little higher quality than the 8B, and the new parts make it super easy to drive.

You can't go wrong with either car, you need to look at your LHS and see which has better parts availibility and make your choice based on that.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artis1
Associated Looked incredible at the track and my buddy talked to the guy that was rolling it David Joor (avid bearings)
Hahaha. I was right next to the guy and didn't even know it. Those Associated's have come a long way since they started out. The new version looks pretty solid. I know Marcus said he liked the shock setup, but as you said, the XRAY plastics really spoil you. I've had plenty of crashes with countless cartwheels while getting used to the nitro game and I've yet to break a thing on my 808.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pickle311
haha, don't try to compare Joor to anyone else. How many national titles does he hold?
Joor also loved his Xray and did very well with it. He could make a stock Slash look good out there though.
I had the original RC8 and it was a POS, literally. I got rid of it after the rear end fell apart and I had to pick the rear diff up out the middle of the track twice in one night. I put a new diff case on after the first time, 2 tanks later it happened again.
The 8.2 is a lot better though from what I hear. I pit for Joor at a lot of the big races and I can say that buggy really does handle good. Don't know if I'd give up my Xray for it though without some sort of chassis deal.
Not sure why you had that problem. I have the original RC8 and have had no problems with it. The buggy is rock solid. Even have the tank it came with that is perfectly fine. I swapped it out to see if it made a difference. Which it didn't. Not the best handling but the new stuff fixes that. The XRAY stuff had it's issues over the years and is very good also. I have friends that were sponsored by XRAY. They make a great product.

There are a lot of good buggies out there. Pick which one you like and race it and have fun. They both will get you wins.