Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Starting a Custom Nitro build....Am I crazy? >

Starting a Custom Nitro build....Am I crazy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting a Custom Nitro build....Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Starting a Custom Nitro build....Am I crazy?

How's it going guys? Just to start off, I have been racing RC for about 5 years now, got started at a SMALL on road carpet oval running an AE18t, then moved up to offroad. I now run an AE RC8b, an HPI Blitz (mod), a Losi XXXt-MF1 (mod).
I recently picked up 2 Traxxas Rustler Nitro's (one w/ a Traxxas 2.5, the other with the .15) and a Traxxas Jato (2.5 as well) for $20 total. They all supposedly run, but were torn apart by the previous previous owners, and then given up to the guy I bought them from. Far as I can tell, they are all there. They are the older versions, not the latest, but that doesn't stop me!
I decided to turn the Jato and 1 of the Nitro Rustlers into dirt oval cars (one for me, one for a co-worker), and tear apart the 2nd Rustler and turn it into a Nitro powered, RWD, SOLID AXLE short course truck. I know that RC Driver I believe did a custom RWD Nitro Slash, but I want to do them one better. I want SOLID AXLE!!!!
So, just seeing what the collected expertise of this board thought, as most of the local racers just look at me funny when I mention it, and think I sniffed just a bit too much of the nitro fume.
I want to keep it "1/10th" scale, so roughly the same wheelbase as the Slash or Blitz. The front end will keep the wishbone independent suspension. I am thinking about using 2 of the swingarms from the Kyosho Mad Force MT, as they look PRETTY beefy. I am unsure about the axle, if a Axial SCX10 axle or an HPI wheely king axle would be wide enough. Don't really want to buy one from RC4wd, because even though they are AWESOME, they are expensive.
I will most likely be brazing together a tube frame for the rear, using steel tube and C channel. I know this beast will be heavy, so I will probably trade up for a Traxxas 3.3 or maybe a used .21 or .28 from a local guy.
No pics yet guys, but as soon as I get the trucks dissasembled I will be starting to figure out how to do it.
Also, not sure how to go about doing the transmission/brakes. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help guys, and for your support and encouragement for other guys doing custom builds! It is that support/encouragement that has given me the hope for this build!!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by t3gto
I want SOLID AXLE!!!!
forgive me for asking, but what gave you the idea that solid axle is better? They're typically only used for rock crawling.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, nothing really told me they were better for true racing. But they are more correctly scale, at least with current Baja1000 & Short Course truck designs. This isn't a race vehicle per se, but more of a "scale" Short Course build. If it were to be a "race" vehicle, I would have stuck with an independent rear for sure.
I just like the look of a solid axle w/ pumpkin diff dropping out from under the truck as it flys over jumps. I realize it will make the truck a bit harder to turn in some of the tighter corners, and make designing the rear interesting, what with linkages and panhard bars, etc. But that's part of the fun, I think. At some point after I finish this build, I may attempt a 4wd version, but that's in the future.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions at all? I am open to hearing your thoughts, comments, derision, laughter, support, whatever.
This is going to be a winter project for me, that will hopefully keep me connected to RC. I am not going to be able to race for awhile, and am REALLY hoping I can keep my race trucks, if my finances allow.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Tech Rookie

The swing arms used on the mad/twin force are kinda weak. they have a lot of flex, enough that they allow the dogbones to pop out. Most MF owners mod them with solid links. Id look for another option.