R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Kyosho STRR Evo vs. Serpent 811T (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/553537-kyosho-strr-evo-vs-serpent-811t.html)

hookem34 09-23-2011 04:25 PM

Kyosho STRR Evo vs. Serpent 811T

So.....what are your thoughts(price is a non factor)?

My popcorn bucket is full:cool:

jzemaxx 09-23-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by hookem34 (Post 9695612)
So.....what are your thoughts(price is a non factor)?

My popcorn bucket is full:cool:

Durability....the serpent all the way. Also it super stable and easy to drive. My only complaint on the serpent cars is lack of steering throw. After swapping to an MP9 the S811 has the steering throw of a Peterbilt.

KThatcher 09-23-2011 06:21 PM

Evo! easy choice

RcRacer27mx 09-23-2011 06:23 PM

The new Evo looks like a sweet Truggy! :nod:

J.Sears 09-23-2011 06:27 PM

Yeah kyosho is real nice but you can buy 2 serpents for the price of one EVO. They are very proud of their products that's for sure.

vw addict 09-23-2011 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by hookem34 (Post 9695612)
(price is a non factor)

get a 996 GT3 and have some fun, screw these kids toys!

808gx7r 09-23-2011 07:16 PM

what ever jared tebo is using and im dam sure its not serpent

hookem34 09-23-2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by vw addict (Post 9696097)
get a 996 GT3 and have some fun, screw these kids toys!

I like your style:nod:. I'm partial to my M5 but a 997 GT3 is on my "next" list:cool: Love that car!

Frank L 09-23-2011 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 808gx7r (Post 9696267)
what ever jared tebo is using and im dam sure its not serpent

You could swap Tebos ride with a redcat and he would still dominate. everyone knows it's not the ride... It's the rider. :cool:

I think both are decent choices. Personally I like the serpent and the truggy is hands down the best truck I have driven. The 811t will increase most drivers Lap times right out of the box and then once it's dialed in to your liking it's like hitting that fun little NOS button in your 1:1 tuner. Hang on :cool:

And yea I rolled a RR for a little bit.

hookem34 09-23-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 9696470)
You could swap Tebos ride with a redcat and he would still dominate. everyone knows it's not the ride... It's the rider. :cool:

I think both are decent choices. Personally I like the serpent and the truggy is hands down the best truck I have driven. The 811t will increase most drivers Lap times right out of the box and then once it's dialed in to your liking it's like hitting that fun little NOS button in your 1:1 tuner. Hang on :cool:

Frank I value your opinion. What's your opinion on the major difference in the two?

Frank L 09-23-2011 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by hookem34 (Post 9696495)
Frank I value your opinion. What's your opinion on the major difference in the two?

I'm not sure exactly how the eve will hold up I know the mp9 is on a serious diet in the drivetrain area. That's the only area I would be concerned about with the evo. It all depends on if you are one of those that has to have it right when it comes out. If so go with the evo. I use to be one if those but I was burned pretty hard by it too. So now I wait a little bit and see how they shake out. The 811t is but the 811 that it us based on has been out for awhile. Then again the same could be said for the k car. I think it all boils down to which flag you want to fly. I can tell you that the serpent is a dream to drive. It likes to be driven hard and dosent bite you when you drive very aggressive. On the 1st outing I took a friends advice and drove it like I stole it. I took the tq that day. I told a friend the same thing during his 1st qual and he improved his time by a whole lap in a 7 min qual.

Looks like they gave it a longer chassis, some updated driveline parts, a fancy new body and new shock boots (a lot of racers dont even use shock boots, I do but many don't), new wing mount, adjust collars on the shocks and stronger r/p, my question - Is that enough to warrant a new truggy or is it like the STR to STRR where a chassis, driveline kit and body encompassed the shift? Idk but it kinda looks like the evo is a STRRR in disguise. Real test is on the track in the hands of the average racer. Will the changes translate into a vastly improved, enhanced truck?

Sometimes it's all about how they drive and the serpent allows greatness. Time will tell with the RR Evo.

bigjayjay1 09-23-2011 08:49 PM

The kyosho is a world class kit buts its not as durable as the serpent. The serpent is a awesome truck super planted and its fast. Setup changes respond well and it turns very nicely OMG it has a lot of steering setup is key!!. There are a few Kyoshos at my track they're always replacing arms and drive train parts. Honestly you can't go wrong with neither no kit is perfect but I'm super happy with the serpent line and its made me a more consistent driver.

hookem34 09-23-2011 08:52 PM

That's a glowing endorsement on the Serpent. Frank I know you ran the Mugen 6T for a while. Is the Serpent that much better than the Mugen?

Frank L 09-23-2011 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by hookem34 (Post 9696551)
That's a glowing endorsement on the Serpent. Frank I know you ran the Mugen 6T for a while. Is the Serpent that much better than the Mugen?

The best way I can describe the serpent is the stability and ease of drive of the losi 2.0 and the turning and razor sharpness of the 6t wrapped in one snake. The 6t was good but the snake is great. Now the disclaimer. This is my opinion based on my experience. It shouldn't warrant crazy pms from some foreign country.

A concern exists whit the Evo as to the validity of releasing a new kit. In the past a simple shock change and new color insert warranted a new WC edition then there's the close release of the TKI and TKI2 kits. Kyosho is known for this. There's no question as to the quality of Kyosho it's been tested and proven time and time again, but would you be just as happy with a RR as an Evo?

RePeTe 09-24-2011 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 9696470)

Tebo would not win with a redcat, he couldnt win with an O'donnel. The top cars are all very equal, and same with truggies.

Also, who would want the vehicle that increases your laptimes?