Wiki Posts
Search

My debate..Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default My debate..Please help.

Ok, so this isn't a which manufacturer is better than the next. Just want this stated.

I am going to be getting back into the hobby after about 7 years away. I last raced 1/10 Nitro on-road, but have falling in love with 1/8th scale off road. I have nothing that has to do with the hobby anymore, not even a single tool. I know I am going to want to race, it's the competitive nature in me, but I am trying to see what is a smarter path for me.

I have made up my mind I am going to run truggy at first. I can get a losi 2.0t rtr which has essentially everything I need to get started, minus a few things. I know ideally this is not the smartest path to go for a competitive racer. Mind you I need everything, and I have never raced 1/8th scale, so to me it is easier to justify spending a little more in the long run, between upgrading and such of a rtr, that to jump in all out for brand new everything in kit for and double my initial investment.

Eventually I plan to run Mugen stuff, with top of the line etc's. but I feel for starting out the RTR Losi 2.0t is my smartest path.

Money IS a factor as with the RTR kit I can essentially get going at the beginning of the year, where as if I piece everything together I am looking at the mid year mark.

What are your opinions, and why. ALSO I have been burnt so many times on this site with buying used stuff that I now refuse to. I will only be purchasing new from a reputable shop.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon
Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Captcha
Ok, so this isn't a which manufacturer is better than the next. Just want this stated.

I am going to be getting back into the hobby after about 7 years away. I last raced 1/10 Nitro on-road, but have falling in love with 1/8th scale off road. I have nothing that has to do with the hobby anymore, not even a single tool. I know I am going to want to race, it's the competitive nature in me, but I am trying to see what is a smarter path for me.

I have made up my mind I am going to run truggy at first. I can get a losi 2.0t rtr which has essentially everything I need to get started, minus a few things. I know ideally this is not the smartest path to go for a competitive racer. Mind you I need everything, and I have never raced 1/8th scale, so to me it is easier to justify spending a little more in the long run, between upgrading and such of a rtr, that to jump in all out for brand new everything in kit for and double my initial investment.

Eventually I plan to run Mugen stuff, with top of the line etc's. but I feel for starting out the RTR Losi 2.0t is my smartest path.

Money IS a factor as with the RTR kit I can essentially get going at the beginning of the year, where as if I piece everything together I am looking at the mid year mark.

What are your opinions, and why. ALSO I have been burnt so many times on this site with buying used stuff that I now refuse to. I will only be purchasing new from a reputable shop.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

0 feedback and not many posts? how have you been burnt here so many times?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

My last name I forgot my logon information to as I was away for numerous years so I made a new account.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

losi RTR race packages are the best Race RTR set you can buy.

never buy second hand... theres normally always a certain reason they are selling thier items. Even good friends will try get rid of their junk that way.

servos and the plastic caps are the only must change ASAP but will last OK for a few months.

you wont be dissapointed with the Losi RTR's.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Suspended

My last name I forgot my logon information to as I was away for numerous years so I made a new account.
got ya......makes sence! the rtr losi 2.0t setup is a great place to start. i started that way 2 years ago and did very well with it, just sold mine last week here. also has a great support group!!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Again I know it's not the ideal racing setup I already plan on purchasing servos with the rtr when I purchase. As well as aluminum shock caps.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

savox or hitec's... anything else is not worth it...
Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Suspended

Again I know it's not the ideal racing setup I already plan on purchasing servos with the rtr when I purchase. As well as aluminum shock caps.
i have been thinking about getting my daughter in to rc, (of course nitro) and have wondered myself on the rtr or kit for her. i know the servos will take a crap and plastic shock cap will break also, i have extra engines and pipes and 4 ofna boxes, so im guessing the kit in my opinion. if you are going to get new servos and shock caps off the get go, that will be about 250.00, but with the rtr you get the rx/tx, so its kinda a hard decision to make really. for you might be a better idea to get the rtr version and upgrade as you go.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Are you sure you want to run truggy? I know that tires are more and because of the weight of the truggy parts tend to wear faster then the buggy counter part and they burn more fuel for the same amount of run time. Just wanted to through those points out to you. The buggy may be a better option IMHO. But welcome back to racing.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

1 post????

Haha I buy all of my 1/8th scale stuff used. I save so much money it's not even funny- seriously. I do buy stuff like engines, and electric motors new. But I buy pretty much everything else on here. All you have to do is A: only buy from someone who has some good feedback on here (I like 10+) and have pictures. I don't buy any big stuff unless it's from someone who is pretty active on here and has a lot of feedback. My .02

The RTR needs: New servos, and if you ever really want to be competitive, a new engine. The 454 is a MT engine!

you can get a good used race roller for $300, two decent servos for as low as $120, and a radio for anywhere from $100-300 depending on what you want.

A lot of times you can get a full race package with engine, servos, radio, engine, etc for really good prices, probably for the same amount or less than a new rtr. Just make sure they have a lot of feedback.

People sell stuff because everybody always wants something new, or wants to change brands, or loses interest, or changes scales, etc.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

I understand the logic behind buying the race rollers, but I know with new NOTHING HAS to be replaced, just a want to replace basis. Where I could follow your guidelines to buying used, and still have to replace worn out parts, which in turn does me no benefit.

As far as the truggy vs buggy goes, I said I am wanting to go truggy first, but in all fairness I haven't 100% nailed that coffin shut. It's still something I toss around. I understand I will need to replace stuff to get the rtr competitive, but I just see so much more value in it for me starting off, that I do with a kit. I am the type of person that likes new things.

2.0 T RTR = 700-800$ USD depending.
Comes with everything I need minus a few things.

Add in 2x Hitec servos (125-150$ each)
and aluminum shock caps 17.99$ each

I am right about 1100$ total start up.

Now take it into retrospect.

Kit 450-600$ depending on manufacturer and such.
Good mil 250-500$ depending.
Good pipe 75-125$
Radio setup 250-400$
Bump box 60-100$
Servos 125-150$ x2
MISC. 200-300$

On the low end I am at 1500'ISH. and on the high end I am well over 2 grand.

I am not buying a RTR and expecting it to be more than what it is, a learning machine, and something to outgrow. But I also don't want to buy a complete kit, spend the time researching and buying the parts I want only to find out, I don't like 1/8th scale offroad.

The start of this thread was more or less to see if people like inferno, who started off with a rtr and worked up, what their take was on it.

I do appreciate any and all answers so far.

ALSO I am not saying that money is hard pressed on my end, but I just don't see spending money freely to try and keep up with the jones'.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

For example, I would consider this a safe buy. Guy has been around for 3 years, decent amount of feedback, not bad posts either.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...8-t-2-0-a.html

This isn't bad either: http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...mart-diff.html

Awesome deal from very reputable member:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-0-truggy.html

This one is already sold, but it's a fabulous deal for a really good truck, 10 times better in the long, and even short run than the rtr (remmeber you need two new servos for it)

For example, I would consider this a safe buy. Guy has been around for 3 years, decent amount of feedback, not bad posts either.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...8-t-2-0-a.html

This isn't bad either: http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...mart-diff.html

Awesome deal from very reputable member:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-0-truggy.html

This one is already sold, but it's a fabulous deal for a really good truck, 10 times better in the long, and even short run than the rtr (remmeber you need two new servos for it)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...aps-parts.html

You should be quite assured buying from a member like that, who has that many posts and feedback. Look around for deals on the site.

Not to say the Roller isn't a good way to start, but with a little research you can do a lot better for the same price, or even less. If you're worried about replacing parts, look at the pics, description, and the marks on the chassis for wear.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

You can race the 454 engine for starters. The only thing you REALLY need to get startet with an 8T 2.0 RTR is some better servos. Savox - 1258 on gas brake and 1256(or a second 1258) on steering - are good value-for-money.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

How about getting the RTR and selling the pipe, motor and servos right away. Buy a good mill, pipe and servos. How does that add up for you?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 128 (99%+)

I like your idea. The Losi truck is a solid truck and may even be better over all than the Mugen, but I like the Mugen a lot too. But for what you get in the Losi RTR nothing compairs. Sure you don't get the flex chassis, the cool towers, TiNi coated pins....chances are you will never miss them. You save by getting a starter box and radio, they aren't the best, but they work well. In my opinion I would look at just a couple options went you buy. I agree with the shock caps for sure, I would also add the Aluminium rear diff inserts, and an aluminium servo horn. As far as servos, I think I would move the steering servo to the T/B and pick up a Hobbico CS-170 for the steering and call it good if money is an issue. It isn't ideal, but you can add another CS-170 when funds allow. Since you've been out of the "loop" for a while the Hobbico CS-170 is basically a Hitec 7995. That being said, since you where in the hobby 7 years ago Hitec has came along way with their servos. Back then you wouldn't think about a Hitec servo and everyone ran airtronics, now days no one runs airtronics and hitecs are every where. One guy suggested the Savox servos, so far I've been very pleased with mine, and if you plan on buying two at the same time they would be my first choice. Two of their hivoltage 1268's with a lipo battery would be awesome, however that adds to the budget.

Best of luck and as long as you get back to the track and are having fun there is no bad choice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.