Wiki Posts
Search

Pit lane sizes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Pit lane sizes

What are some sizes of pit lanes you guys run on? Getting ready to build one that will eventually hold State races at the upper levels. I was told 2 truggys wide but what about the length? 30'? 40'? Im thinking 4'x36 or 40'

Is this too big? Im thinking 36" for each car at 12 cars at a time.

48" wide with a 2x6 on the pit side and a 2x4 wall on the outside to prevent them from getting off. This will give you 39" in the clear to pass people still at their pit stall.

Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

damn, pit lane at my local track on fits one buggy, and barely a truggy...
Old 09-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mdavis1432
What are some sizes of pit lanes you guys run on? Getting ready to build one that will eventually hold State races at the upper levels. I was told 2 truggys wide but what about the length? 30'? 40'? Im thinking 4'x36 or 40'

Is this too big? Im thinking 36" for each car at 12 cars at a time.

48" wide with a 2x6 on the pit side and a 2x4 wall on the outside to prevent them from getting off. This will give you 39" in the clear to pass people still at their pit stall.

Thoughts?
2 truggies wide should be good main thing is room to drive past a truggy sitting the wall. 3 ft per driver is good on the stand but if you can allow more on pit lane it would be nice since a lot of times 2 pit people are allowed per vehicle. I liked the pit lanes at the finals which were normally 48ft and 5ft wide (just a bit too wide).
Old 09-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks RCPRO.

Come on guys you mean to tell me you are in the nitro thread and you dont use pit lanes? POst up what you like and what you dont like about your current one. I would like some fresh ideas. I knows its a pretty basic build but some key features can make it top notch. If you could have the ultimate pit lane what would it include?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdavis1432
If you could have the ultimate pit lane what would it include?
stripper poles...
Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

biger the better at lest big anuff for two truggys to pass
Old 09-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cary
Passing in pit lane wow. You win a race and now you are passing in pit lane. This I gotta see.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I dont think you want it so wide pit guys are going to have problems reaching across to grab cars. Especially if they get hung up on the other side of pit lane. Also might be a bit dangerous trying to reach across with drivers coming down pit lane. Pit lane speeds would increase also, which you dont want
Old 09-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by moto431
I dont think you want it so wide pit guys are going to have problems reaching across to grab cars. Especially if they get hung up on the other side of pit lane. Also might be a bit dangerous trying to reach across with drivers coming down pit lane. Pit lane speeds would increase also, which you dont want
will are pit lane is 50 feet long we have the drive side comes up about a foot or so to rest the cars on will filling them up so they are not in the way at all which is really nice. then they have the other side just a little lower and they a both complety closed of with hard plastic pipe so you dont catch nothing if you cant drive striaght out of the pit wich a lot of people cant seem to do. we have an under self that hold the bottles and starter boxes or what ever you cant fit under the it reach standing levle for fast access. i do agree with the other guy a two car pit lane is almost piont less sine the pit side is a little high fo the car to be filled up on and the guy can blip the thoortle all they want as long it only about 5 inch wide i think that about what is just so no tire rub even on the smallest with cars.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cary
LOL !!!

Originally Posted by Frank L
Passing in pit lane wow. You win a race and now you are passing in pit lane. This I gotta see.
Boo Boo take a video I want to see too !! CWC only pits once in a race when he run's !! LOL !!

Pit lanes would be good at 4' per pit guy and as long as you can make it , maybe 3 to 4ft wide
Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Originally Posted by rc racer 103
LOL !!!

Boo Boo take a video I want to see too !! CWC only pits once in a race when he run's !! LOL !!

Pit lanes would be good at 4' per pit guy and as long as you can make it , maybe 3 to 4ft wide
that should have been big anuff so i can't fall off it trying to get in to it.
but I will try and work on the passing thing

Last edited by cary; 09-14-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vw addict
stripper poles...
you need a mechanic for the season??? ill do it for free and ill even tip the chicks with used glow plugs
Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imrob
will are pit lane is 50 feet long we have the drive side comes up about a foot or so to rest the cars on will filling them up so they are not in the way at all which is really nice. then they have the other side just a little lower and they a both complety closed of with hard plastic pipe so you dont catch nothing if you cant drive striaght out of the pit wich a lot of people cant seem to do. we have an under self that hold the bottles and starter boxes or what ever you cant fit under the it reach standing levle for fast access. i do agree with the other guy a two car pit lane is almost piont less sine the pit side is a little high fo the car to be filled up on and the guy can blip the thoortle all they want as long it only about 5 inch wide i think that about what is just so no tire rub even on the smallest with cars.

Bigger has to be better, nothing worse than small pit lanes or spaces behind pit lane

Id love to see a pic of this pit lane Rob.. Sounds impressive

Dave
Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

as long as the drivers stand and wide enough for 2 truggies.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

As stated earlier, as long as the drivers stand, and 4ft. wide is a good size. Also, here are a few suggestions for the area around the pit lane.

1. Room behind the guys that are pitting the race in progress for the next group of cars.
- I can't stand it when a race is going on, and you've got guys coming in behind you, moving your pit bag, bumping into you, etc. I like the pit lanes that are open under the drivers stand, and have "shelves" for the next round of guys to put their stuff on to get ready.

2. A 2x6, or something under the lip of the pit wall where you can put your starter box & fuel bottle. It's also nice to have holes drilled in it for a glow ignitor, tuning screwdriver, and fuel gun.

3. Put some kind of over head bar across the pit lane,at the top of the entry ramp. Leave just enough clearance for the tallest class of vehicles that race at your track to go under. This will make people slow down entering pits because if they come screaming in too fast and jump, they'll hit the bar. I've seen people get taken down by cars coming into the pits too hot, and jumping off the side.....not pretty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.