Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBX6, X808 or MPI9 TKI2 WC

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

Default MBX6, X808 or MPI9 TKI2 WC

Hi all, I've debating for quite few weeks on which buggy should I buy, and I can not get to a conclusion; so I decide to ask for help.

I'm going to replace my buggy (Hyper 8 Pro), I really like the buggy but the parts locally (NY) are very hard to find, everything have to be online.

Anyway I've been reviewing the
MBX6 Mspec, So far very nice for the value and is asembled by the factory big plus.

X808 2011 A lot of promo, seems to be a very solid machine but I've been hearing a couple of problems with the Divs

MP9 TKI2 WC Kind of high Price but It come with all the hop ups and optional parts on the package so you are going to have a very solid machine. And well so many championships is hard to ignore.

I never drove any of them, everything that I've been seeing is by video and promo from the different websites. I will really appreciate receive some eal feedback from the racers who own this machines.

Thanks ALL!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

you cant go wrong with the mbx6 or the tki2.. 808 parts will be hard to find locally in NY compared to mugen or kyosho, especially in the pits. Mugen will be the easiest to get parts for and the cost will be a lot less. in my opinion those are the best 2 cars on the current market.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

all these buggys are awesome obviously the stand out is the kyosho as its price is more than the others but you have to look at the what each buggy comes with the mp9 has all the bells and whistles and is the current world champ, the mugen is the least expensive and will perform as well as the others out of the box you will need to look at reshimming the diffs after a run or two and an mspec you already have prebuilt diffs and shocks so you may or may not have fluids that suit your style or track? the 808 2011 spec car which I drive is virtually bulletproof after driving this since 2008 the only thing that has gone wrong after countless crashes is a front shock shaft and thats it no arm breaks or anything the diffs in the 2011 car are now solid you have many upgrade options on this buggy. as for parts all 3 are readily available on the internet eg ebay. anyone of these will do most guys dont keep there buggys more than two years before they upgrade so there is really no stand out buggy here just go with what you feel will suit you and have fun with it.
good luck

Last edited by aussies1129; 09-05-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can't go wrong with any of them, except the M-spec, do your self a favour and get the MBX6 Kit, I have seen all of the pre assemble kits from all the manufactures having issues. Build it your self. I had the MBX6 (2008) and did not fit me at all, (had the MBX5r before it and loved it), never owned an xray, I have had my MP9 since 09, upgraded it as the new releases come out, and i like it a lot, very tuneable chassi, and the car responds very well to chassi changes.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i've had an MBX6, an XRAY 808, and currently have an MP9 as well as a Durango, so I can give you a little firsthand feedback.

MBX6: awesome car, you can really overdrive it and depending on your setup, tends to be very forgiving, while still being nimble. Tends to exhibit a loose rear end, so take that into consideration with regards to your driving style. Front arms tend to be a wee bit fragile, but otherwise very robust.

808: depending on setup, exhibits Losi-style nervousness more often than not. If you're a very technical driver you may be able to get good lap times out of it, if you like to overdrive your car, you will not. Very solid machine, not prone to breakage, but you gotta watch those drive-line bearings! Prices on spares are a bit Parts availability can also be an issue.

MP9: doesn't look like much, but boy can she dance! Tends to be very sensitive to setup, but performs way better than I could have thought possible, jumps extremely well too. Just like the MOOG, parts are plentiful, good parts cost to value ratio also. Might be a wee bit more fragile than the first two, but shouldn't be an issue unless you plan to use the car as a lawn dart
Old 09-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Adept

Wow thanks for all your responses.
Please keep posting this is going to be a very hard decision.
Right now I'm between Mugen and Kyosho.
Thanks a lot your feedbacks are helping a lot.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by captain america
Might be a wee bit more fragile than the first two, but shouldn't be an issue unless you plan to use the car as a lawn dart
This was amazing LOL.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (64%+)

well it be the first time that i will be driving my mugen mbx6t m spec and i am looking to drive it if it handle great like ppl say then i be buying a mbx6 buggy as well
Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
i've had an MBX6, an XRAY 808, and currently have an MP9 as well as a Durango, so I can give you a little firsthand feedback.

MBX6: awesome car, you can really overdrive it and depending on your setup, tends to be very forgiving, while still being nimble. Tends to exhibit a loose rear end, so take that into consideration with regards to your driving style. Front arms tend to be a wee bit fragile, but otherwise very robust.

808: depending on setup, exhibits Losi-style nervousness more often than not. If you're a very technical driver you may be able to get good lap times out of it, if you like to overdrive your car, you will not. Very solid machine, not prone to breakage, but you gotta watch those drive-line bearings! Prices on spares are a bit Parts availability can also be an issue.

MP9: doesn't look like much, but boy can she dance! Tends to be very sensitive to setup, but performs way better than I could have thought possible, jumps extremely well too. Just like the MOOG, parts are plentiful, good parts cost to value ratio also. Might be a wee bit more fragile than the first two, but shouldn't be an issue unless you plan to use the car as a lawn dart
808 Driveline Bearings, maybe pre 2011, but that is no longer an issue. Have 4 races on same bearings with 2011 edition as it uses traditional bearing driveline setup as MP9. The 2011 is very stable, don't know what year you had, but 2011 is a different animal.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcion
808 Driveline Bearings, maybe pre 2011, but that is no longer an issue. Have 4 races on same bearings with 2011 edition as it uses traditional bearing driveline setup as MP9. The 2011 is very stable, don't know what year you had, but 2011 is a different animal.
Correct, I had the 2008 car; I'm glad to see that they finally fixed that issue for their latest iteration.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mcion
Hi Mcion.

Could you elaborate a little bit more of the benefits in the xray 808.
I reall y would like to know since I do not know nobody who own one.

Thanks !!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation I'm in the same boat....I am leaning towards the Kyosho...

I'm just not sure the extra cost is justified I am even considering JQ and Serpent, and Associated....Too many choices!! LOL
Old 09-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Here I come. I have owned a xray and run mugen now and know a friend with the wc tki 2(who is fast not a thrasher). The xray is SOLID and never breaks. The 11 has no diff issues. The mugen also awsome and solid but not as durable as xray. Xray has the best plastics quality out and its can't be argued. The Kyosho is nice but needs alot of maitnence to stay fast. They have the worst metal strength out and plastics wear quick. My buddy has snapped drive lines(dog bones mostly rear) almost every other race and they break arms pretty easy comapired to mugen or xray. Now rumor is kyosho is planning on revising there new metals to make them like the older mp7 o orginal 9 but hasn't beem done. If you have money and time to rebuild and replace parts often the kyosho is great but the metal quality just isn't real great. The best thing to do is get best local support and hoppy support car. Odds are thats losi, mugen, ae.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I have had the 6 and now have the 11 808.

The 11 808 has no diff issues.

I haven't had the mp 9 but according to locals in my area, it wears a bit faster and maybe a little more fragile. If cost and parts are not an issue, all three are excellent choices IMO.

The 6 is probably the lowest cost of ownership, but I prefer the 808. The 808 rewards smooth driving and has a ton of adjustability.

If you can diving a few friends rides which you know have a good setup it may help with your decision. Pick one and have fun!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 808

Id thought Id jump in on the 808. I have has a few buggys and the 2010 model 808. It has some issues with bearings and shock ends, and to be honest i was over replacing the bearings and breaking shock ends (thought i bought a lemon). I was totally suprised when i put my new 2011 xray together. The drivetrain is now fixed, Shock ends fixed, new shell. Plus the quality is still the same on the drive train. I got a full year out of the drivetrain and didnt replace a thing. Im keeping last years as a donar because its still in great condition. It also comes with some great upgrades that would cost a mint if you bought them separately. Im not standing on the soapbox saying its the best buggy ever made, but its nice to know they listen and fix any drama rather than leave it and make you buy upgrades. The only thing i would recomend us stiffer springs (but thats personal taste)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.