Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should electric be a different class?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Should electric be a different class?

NO not a troll or stirring up stuff.

I am just pondering, after getting back into 1/8 buggies after a break, if electric should be a different class. Back only 3 yrs ago nobody at my clubs really raced 1/8 elec buggies.

I mean, if they have to do the same chassis etc setup as nitro, but not worry about tuning and fuels and glowplugs etc, it seems to me that it is easier and they have an advantage.

Yes or no?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

They may not have to worry about tuning or glo plugs but they sure do have to worry about a long ass main.... thats why they have their own class round here!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

True - but I was referring to 8min club races not that kinda deal.

I just think it is unfair. BUT regardless of extra maintenance, dirtyness and so on, I'll choose the hard way every time.

Besides - the smell gets ya hooked

Last edited by Mark _australia; 09-08-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I think it's very important to have them in a class of there own. My biggest complaint with running them together is safety.
Most that run brushless take way more chances trying to clear what nitro can't. I've seen several turn-marshalls almost get knocked out because with the sound of nitro, you can't hear the electric sneaking up on you. It can be tough and nobody likes to turn anyone away but it can turn into a safety issue really quick.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Our previous club raced Nitro and electric together when there wasn't enough to make their own class. For the most part it was smooth racing, but the format stayed as set up for nitros. 20 minute main, and electric had to pit twice or make 1 battery change, even though some nitros could go 10 on fuel and only pitted once..

For the most part the electric drivers at that track weren't super fast so they weren't much competation. And those that were couldn't make a full 20 with out a battery change.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Just coming from an electric guy - I dont think the classes should be seperate, at least club racing around here, would further segment the classes, take more time, less participants, ect.

Electric and Nitro are close, and in longer mains electric guys may have to reconsider a slower motor, or different gearing to make up run time from batteries.

Example on my RC8Te, 6500mah packs and 1550 motor, I can get around 25 min, but with an 1700 motor, near 20 min, and 16-18 from a 2000 kv motor.

Slower motors = longer run times.

To me it should be one class, electric needs to adjust speed for battery life, nitro has to pit. After a 20 min main, it should all even out.

Again just my thoughts.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Around me at its nitro cars that need to join E class due to lack of popularity.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i agree with OG RC 10T, as long as it could be made even it would be fine with me. I have had issues when i marshalled and elec and nitro were together bec an elec needed marshalled but i wasnt used to not hearing them lol. but that was my fault and i would just have be more alert. I know i wouldnt want to be the one trying workout rules on how to keep it even tho, lol. no way im opening that can, lol. The main reason it would help is bec for my area turnouts have been low so it would be good in that aspect.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Just depends on turn out at are track they run the 1/8 buggys together they just make us elec buggys stop when they have all the gas cars pit
Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Prophet

it should only be in a diffrent class if there is at least four that show up other than that it has to be with nitro.

i run a "1/8 e truggy" and have to run with the nitro truggys at both tracks i race at and im the only one for now but i like it its more of a challege . As for run time in "20 min mains" yea it sucks having to change the battery two times. But it equals out later into the run or just run like balls to the wall, And love the reaction when i put a whopping on the nitro truggys

and yes on what rc10 said you can lower your gearing what i did was lower my throttle epa to 90%. Just to get more run time what im still learing is going smoother into the throttle out of the corners i think thats the best thing to do for run time.

Plus really on a big track it equals out with the both power plants lap time wise.
Oh yea i do run a 2200kv motor with a 4c lipo.

Pseg: The bowl is about the only place that has more of a 1/8 e electric turnout than nitro 1/8 scale at the tracks i been to.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The correct answer is YES but if a track dosent have enough to make separate classes then what the hell run them together. For the most part they run different classes around here but what gets me is the strictly E guys seem to be the biggest bunch of whinny babies I have ever seen. I thought it was getting bad with the nitro guys until I went to a strictly E race. At a local smaller track even the kids are throwing comments about the stinky loud nitro cars and you know where they get that from...
Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Frank L
The correct answer is YES but if a track dosent have enough to make separate classes then what the hell run them together. For the most part they run different classes around here but what gets me is the strictly E guys seem to be the biggest bunch of whinny babies I have ever seen. I thought it was getting bad with the nitro guys until I went to a strictly E race. At a local smaller track even the kids are throwing comments about the stinky loud nitro cars and you know where they get that from...

most likely the guys who wine about that have never ran nitro and there for they will whine like a baby .

i love the smell no complaining from me just dont like to deal with the extra things that nitro has .
Old 09-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Since the power plants are different, they should be in a different class.

However, at club races or mid sized races, I don't really see what the big deal is to run them together. Same guys seem to win whether they run electric or nitro.

The challenge with electric is that we can't run longer mains (20+ minute mains) without lugging around a huge battery or having to take a 30-45 second pit stop for a battery change.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Since the power plants are different, they should be in a different class.

However, at club races or mid sized races, I don't really see what the big deal is to run them together. Same guys seem to win whether they run electric or nitro.

The challenge with electric is that we can't run longer mains (20+ minute mains) without lugging around a huge battery or having to take a 30-45 second pit stop for a battery change.

yea no kidding i was running a 6500mah lipo pack for 20 min but boy my truck was planted to the ground

I agree with you though for club racing who cares stick them together the best driver wins or the driver who crashes least anyways.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
have to agree with Boo Boo and Mr B....HARD to hear them comming...worse while running with nitro...bunch of cry babies...always holding up the races here...waiting for their batt's to charge...if you want to race electic...buy a bunch of batt's and pre-charge them....then there is...we can't run that long of mains...we will cook our motors and batt's....then they dont marshel....to busy with their buggys....always need to be called out....sorry...growned tired of them real quick....

Last edited by kaptain crash; 09-08-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: oppssss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.