Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Getting back into nitro truggies...Losi 8ight T 2.0 RTR >

Getting back into nitro truggies...Losi 8ight T 2.0 RTR

Getting back into nitro truggies...Losi 8ight T 2.0 RTR

Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Getting back into nitro truggies...Losi 8ight T 2.0 RTR

As the title says I'm getting back into nitro truggies and was looking for help, tips, advice, and whatever else you would like to share. A few years ago I raced my Revo with OS VZB .21, also raced my XT8 truggy with OS .28XZ and it was a blast. Then I got out of it for a few years and now I'm looking to jump back in...

Looking at buying a new Losi 8ight T 2.0 RTR setup...From what I've read this is essentially the same truggy as the race roller so I'm not really missing out on anything by going with the RTR...I'm looking at picking up a new OS .28XZ to power the 8ight T and was wondering if that's easy to do? Can I just swap the flywheel/clutch setup from the 454 that comes on the 8ight RTR? Will the OS .28XZ bolt up to the standard engine mount or do I need a special engine mount? Anyone have insight as to this motor setup on a 8ight T 2.0...would it be any easy motor swap? I have no doubt the standard JR servos and spektrum radio system would be up to the task with the OS motor...Thank you
Old 09-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are actually a few differences between the race roller and the RTR roller.. The biggest one would be the chasis itself! The race roller has the flex chasis which makes it handle a lot better... Instead an O.S. 28 you may want to look into the O.S. 25xz (preferably a modded one from ClockWorkRacing)...Get the Losi quick change engine mount and any of those engine will bolt right up.... Also, with the 28 or the 25 I would recommend the M2C clutch set up!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

BTW, if you do decide to go with the Race Roller (which is definitely the way to go), there are a few right here in the "For Sale" section that are priced right.. Heres one for $400 http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ks-b5-nib.html ...He's seems really motivated to sell too. I dont think he'd turn down $375 which is a smokin deal on a NIB Race Roller!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by abqNitro
There are actually a few differences between the race roller and the RTR roller.. The biggest one would be the chasis itself! The race roller has the flex chasis which makes it handle a lot better... Instead an O.S. 28 you may want to look into the O.S. 25xz (preferably a modded one from ClockWorkRacing)...Get the Losi quick change engine mount and any of those engine will bolt right up.... Also, with the 28 or the 25 I would recommend the M2C clutch set up!
Thanks a lot for your help...I saw that roller in the classifieds but it's actually sold if you look on pg 2. Maybe I'll wait a bit and see if another new roller pops up in the classifieds. That's the way to go.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Yea man this is such a large community that if you watch the classifieds for a couple of weeks in a row, just being patient, a few of them will pop up at some really good prices... BTW, heres a vid of my 8T 2.0 with a Clocked O.S. 25xz so that you can kinda get an idea of the power/powerband on one.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot6Yf5WdHCs Its not the greatest video, 50mph winds and what not, but you'll get the point
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Adept

If you already have everything (starter box, engine, servos, radio etc...) then the roller is definitely the way to go... On the other hand if you don't have everything then the RTR is just fine especially if you are just getting back into it... The only real difference is that the chassis/shock towers are stamped instead of milled and its not a night and day difference between the TFT and RTR chassis's... I say get the RTR and use it up... Get some aluminum shock caps, replace broken parts with roller parts and call it a day...

As far as the engine goes... A big block is a big block and it should just drop in as a replacement. Just as a heads up tho, you do not need a .28 in a truggy these days. Most .21's are up to the task no problem especially if you stick to the major brands like OS, Werks and Orion. You are just giving up runtime (and dumping money down the drain) with a .28

The standard servos are NOT up to the task, especially for the steering. I would personally recommend either Savox or Airtronics with the Losi radio tray (in that order) and don't buy hitec servos if you want them to last...

Last edit...

The Losi 454 that comes with the RTR is no slouch... Sure its a gas hog being a .28 but its still competitive for a couple gallons easy...

Last edited by ghost68; 09-07-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ghost68
The only real difference is that the chassis/shock towers are stamped instead of milled and its not a night and day difference between the TFT and RTR chassis's..
IDK about night and day difference, but the difference between a properly set up RR as compared to a properly set up RTR is without a doubt noticable! The flex chasis makes it handle better on bumps and jumps, better in and out of the turns, and also seems to put the power to the ground better too... Heck, even on the 8T 1.0 that I used to have, once I went from the RTR chasis to the Flex Chasis I noticed a big difference on the way my truggy handled just during the first lap.....
Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Great info...Well I posted up an ad in the WTB section to see if I can get a real nice race roller...possibly even with some servos. I don't have the starter box, glow igniter, or any of that...sold it all a few years ago. I'll be starting from scratch, but luckily I still have most of the tools and little things I need. If I can't find what I want in a race roller I'll probably go RTR and replace parts as needed with race roller parts. I know the first thing I'd need to change on the RTR is the steering servo...I wonder if that .21 vzb vspec would get the job done on this truggy? I had one on my Revo and it was an animal with that motor...Wow I can't even post a pic of my XT8 because it says I can't post url's until a certain amount of posts. haha
Old 09-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

I would very strongly suggest that you don't ever buy a used kit... I can't count the number of guys that come out to my home track with a kit they just bought from craigslist or the forums here that have all kinds of problems... By the time they get a kit up in running order they have spent way more than if they had just bought the kit new... I'm not saying that they are all bad but if you are trying to save money you are barking up the wrong tree... The RTR is a GREAT value if you don't already have the starter box and radio...

If you are insisting on getting a roller and building everything from scratch this would be my ideal build (I raced an 8ight-t all last year)

8ight-t Race Roller
V2 Rear Shock Tower
Aluminum Servo saver/horn
Werks B5 / 2058 pipe
Savox 1256/1258 (Steering/Throttle)
OFNA Blue Truggy Starter Box / 4s lipo

Everyone here is going to have their own opinion on what engine to get and what servos to run... I started out with a RTR and over the course of the season converted it to a race roller... My experience showed me that there are a ton of good options out there but the B5/2058 was the best power/runtime/budget combo out there... Savox servos are great and the company stands behind their stuff. Don't go crazy with hop ups as you don't need anything but the rear tower and servo saver/servo horn everything else just adds weight... The biggest lesson I learned last year tho: Buy all of your spare parts on ebay...

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Initiate

I would very strongly suggest that you don't ever buy a used kit... I can't count the number of guys that come out to my home track with a kit they just bought from craigslist or the forums here that have all kinds of problems... By the time they get a kit up in running order they have spent way more than if they had just bought the kit new... I'm not saying that they are all bad but if you are trying to save money you are barking up the wrong tree... The RTR is a GREAT value if you don't already have the starter box and radio...

If you are insisting on getting a roller and building everything from scratch this would be my ideal build (I raced an 8ight-t all last year)

8ight-t Race Roller
V2 Rear Shock Tower
Aluminum Servo saver/horn
Werks B5 / 2058 pipe
Savox 1256/1258 (Steering/Throttle)
OFNA Blue Truggy Starter Box / 4s lipo

Everyone here is going to have their own opinion on what engine to get and what servos to run... I started out with a RTR and over the course of the season converted it to a race roller... My experience showed me that there are a ton of good options out there but the B5/2058 was the best power/runtime/budget combo out there... Savox servos are great and the company stands behind their stuff. Don't go crazy with hop ups as you don't need anything but the rear tower and servo saver/servo horn everything else just adds weight... The biggest lesson I learned last year tho: Buy all of your spare parts on ebay...

Good luck!
Yea I'm thinking I'll go with the new RTR 8ight T...I can get one for $650 which is great...From what I've seen it includes a pretty decent starter box as well so hopefully that's up to the task....and of course it includes the radio system which will save some more money. It's a great value.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

No worries I think you will be more than happy... If you need any help or have any questions let me know...
Old 09-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Initiate

No worries I think you will be more than happy... If you need any help or have any questions let me know...
Appreciate the help.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm going to go with the vzb vspec .21...Should be plenty of punch and they got a deal for $225 on tower hobbies. Should be more efficient than the .28 mill. How much $ could I get for the 454 mill that comes in the RTR in the classifieds?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Adept

Probably $50-75... I would break it in and keep it as a spare...
Old 09-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Probably $50-75... I would break it in and keep it as a spare...
Ah you're low ballin me already...lol...Ok for $50 I'll keep it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.