R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
Tech Addict

i would chose the 8 time world champ...
has xray won once?(ROAR or ifmar??).

The mp9 should outlast the other two wear wise.
IDC what anyone else says, kyosho is known for quality.
yes Xray and mugen are dam good quality too but the mp9 is a league of its own.

when i owned a xray, i never had diff issues but did have really bad issues with the arms bowing very fast. the drive pins on the shaft wore fast.

good how all those drivers over the last year that left kyosho are hurrying back because they know its the winning formula.

anther option is the poor mans mp9, Rc8.2...very very mp9 like.

i will get flamed by Xrays fanclub, but i have tryed xray and its nothing like my mp9.

i think the three best cars at the moment are the Mbx6, Rc8.2 and the Mp9.

IMHO of course...
Driving the best quality cars in the market.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfleck View Post
I have had the 6 and now have the 11 808.

The 808 rewards smooth driving
This is something that can't be emphasized enough. I found it to be a bit tiring to drive mentally, because you have to have a bit more of an on-road approach to get the best out of it. With the 808, slower is faster and if I tried to drive it instinctively (a bit more loosely) it would bite me. Materials quality is superb though.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Very interesting thread so far. I'm kinda in the same boat about what my next car will be. I have have had lots of cars in the past from most major brands. After a couple year hiatus I had a '10 spec 808 given to me. My last car before I quite was an mbx6. I have been trying to drive as many cars as I can recently as my Xray is getting pretty tired. Here's my take....

Xray...tough as nails, can be very fast but tends to get nervous especially in square edged stuff. Jumps extremely well. Parts hard to come by as I'm about the only Xray guy in the state. Keep dreaming of other cars but seriously considering giving this to my son for next year and getting me a current model.

Mugen...have owned one in '08 and have driven a few recently with all different setups. I like it ok. I generally like how it handles but seems the one thing consistent out of all the ones I've driven is they land a little weird, they don't settle. Great quality.

AE...Turns good. Tough. Cheap enough parts to maintain. Doesn't jump as good as the others but seems way more stable.

All that said, I still can't decide what one to buy for next season. Tons of Mugen's in the area but that's one reason I don't want one, I don't really like riding the bandwagon. But being the lone Xray I really need to be self sufficient and can't share setup idea's with other local guys.

Some local guys run the MP9 and it looks good and they don't have anything bad to say about it. Even more have had the MP9 and have gotten rid of them for Mugen's as they kept breaking the Kyosho's in one form or another.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.......wonder how the JQ, Agama or Durango rank with the others'....
suprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808gx7r View Post
i would chose the 8 time world champ...
has xray won once?(ROAR or ifmar??)....
This isn't because of the car. This is team size and drivers. Xray and Mugen are more larger in Europe region but Xray stricktly is a very narrow team with no super quick big named guys. Losi, AE, and Kyosho on other hand have big teams with all the good drivers because of pay checks/ manufacture income. It has nothing to do with car on the track other then set up and staying in 1 piece. HB has a worlds win on first outing before release. Are you saying that car is the best also? Then why is it so cheap and everyone don't drive it? Car is only a fraction of the deal, its all driver....

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
This isn't because of the car. This is team size and drivers. Xray and Mugen are more larger in Europe region but Xray stricktly is a very narrow team with no super quick big named guys. Losi, AE, and Kyosho on other hand have big teams with all the good drivers because of pay checks/ manufacture income. It has nothing to do with car on the track other then set up and staying in 1 piece. HB has a worlds win on first outing before release. Are you saying that car is the best also? Then why is it so cheap and everyone don't drive it? Car is only a fraction of the deal, its all driver....
+1, completely agree ... worlds and what pros run doesnt mean crap. there is hardly anyone that can drive like them, i dont understand why people base their decisions off that and their setups off the pros, when you can NOT drive like them.... some buggies work better for others than the next guy. its all personal preference. drive the buggies and see which one fits YOU best.
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Quote:
fair enough but however why did AE change to mp9 geometry on towers? arrording to ALOT of rc8 drivers that it made a light and day differnce.

i've driven mugen, Xray, losi and kyosho and agama(havnt really driven it enough to comment)
i could drive the losi very fast with my aggressive driving style however i could never find a setup for a bumpy track(rocks everywhere) i guess you could say goat track() and handle the jumps, it got all out of shape after jumps which slowed me down.

but when i went to the kyosho with the wide layout, i already had the bumps sorted with the wide layout, first lap i was as fast as my fastest lap with the losi.

i never ever found a setup that would work on the track with the xray, it just bounced everywhere constantly and bottomd out very easy even with heavy oil.(someone said kyosho shocks would be better but never got around to it)

i loved the mugen too(would drive one again) as it was good but i just kept braking arms.

as for not the car, who can explain boots and Reno?

i used to believe the all driver thing but im leaning alot towards the 30% car-70% driver or mybe 40% - 60%.
Driving the best quality cars in the market.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
+1 I really think xray should get some big name drivers on board they win alot of big races in europe but you dont see much in the u.s etc
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
+1 I really think xray should get some big name drivers on board they win alot of big races in europe but you dont see much in the u.s etc
Hell, if the quality and price stays about the same, i could care less what drivers they have. I rather have a durable car, that I don't have to worry about having a DNF with. Knowing your car wont break provides a lot of confidence, well me at least. I will admit though, the only other car I would get would be an MP9
Old 09-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #24
am
Tech Master

I would turn it araound and say it is all abaout the equipment on the top level of drivers.

Since Savoia is mentioned, he was a very fast junior with the Crono cars in France. Became 3 times Euro champ with Mugen, got a Durango end evryting falls to crap.

Same with Battle when he got the Associated, he was still fast but when he got the Mugen, he won the Euros.
It is only two drivers in the world that was fast with the RC8 before the release of the updated suspension..... and thats the Ryans.

Tebo is anotherone that have proved the same, with the O`donnell, just was not as fast with it.

I would say that if you gave the Pro dirvers a half a year with f. eksample a Kyosho mp9, they would have almoast identical laptimes onb the same track at the same day.

For me and my drivingstyle the Mugen is the best car outthere right now. It fits a very wide range drivingstyles, works very forgiving and if you not racing on asfalt tracks...... it is the best car over the bumps and rutted tracks.
am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:20 AM   #25
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by am View Post
I would turn it araound and say it is all abaout the equipment on the top level of drivers.

Since Savoia is mentioned, he was a very fast junior with the Crono cars in France. Became 3 times Euro champ with Mugen, got a Durango end evryting falls to crap.

Same with Battle when he got the Associated, he was still fast but when he got the Mugen, he won the Euros.
It is only two drivers in the world that was fast with the RC8 before the release of the updated suspension..... and thats the Ryans.

Tebo is anotherone that have proved the same, with the O`donnell, just was not as fast with it.

I would say that if you gave the Pro dirvers a half a year with f. eksample a Kyosho mp9, they would have almoast identical laptimes onb the same track at the same day.

For me and my drivingstyle the Mugen is the best car outthere right now. It fits a very wide range drivingstyles, works very forgiving and if you not racing on asfalt tracks...... it is the best car over the bumps and rutted tracks.
As you can see I am a Kyosho MP9 owner, in fact five of them but we have a Durango driver over here in Australia that has TQed and won just about every major race meeting lately including FEMCA Buggy and Truggy and various State and National titles. And the Durango has not let him down

His name is Kyle and if you put him up against Savoya and his Mugen he would beat him no problems at all.

No I'm not a Durango fan but they like most of the other brands out there can do well if setup correctly.

I think Savoya is having a MAJOR form slump ATM and I think he will be back with a vengeance, and I hope he doesn't blame Durango for it.
Nitro X Fuels
smelly62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:46 AM   #26
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (64%+)

mate kyle won the truggy with a losi not his durgo brand
zenbonzakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbonzakura View Post
mate kyle won the truggy with a losi not his durgo brand
And where does it say he didn't??
Nitro X Fuels
Old 09-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #28
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (64%+)

if you didt watch or seen it it was a losi 2.0 not his brand he races have a ot in the what he drove
zenbonzakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #29
am
Tech Master

I respect your opinion, but i still beg to be in a different opinion. Kyle i a huge talent and is not unheard of in the RC world of nitro offroad. But he still got 4th ( wasent it) at the worlds with a Mugen not a Durango, but that is not my point.

Ryen Lutz is also of a huge talent, but i i think he would have been in the final in Thailand actually, if he still were with Kyosho.

I still belive that the chassis is a major part of the package! And for the top 10 drivers in the world, it could just be the "small" difference to be a WC or nr 7.

From my 25 years of experience with RC and 15 years with experience in 1:8th scale nitro, the chassis is very important and the better driver you are, the more you can make out of a good chassis.

Example:
Kyosho made a lemon with the 777 SP1. Even TKI international drivers i have spoken to thought that car was slower than K3. When i was compeating at the Worlds in Furulund i was STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enough to go with a Mp777, as Kyosho in Norway got 4 kits out the first badge. That car was 1.5 second slower for me a lap! than the Kanai 3 and screwed up the whole race. At the warmup race, TKI guys was using K3 front and rear spuspension with the MP777 chassis. That was their way to get the "chassis" from Mp777 as fast as it could be. Kyosho found out and ordered them to use the Mp777. If they had used their K3, they would have won, easely. Even Pavidis was alot slower with MP777 than K3. And i was at all warmup races, Hobao masters and more. We were even going practicing several times when Kyosho team was there with Pavidis, Degani, Kortz, Miguel Mathias, Daniel Recward, Linus Thern and more.
am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 AM   #30
Tech Master

I have had every Kyosho since the MP6 international and your right the 777 SP1 was a flop but only due to the chassis being too short. Once the SP2 chassis was released the car was fine. If memory serves me right it was 4mm longer and the engine and centre diff moved to improve balance.
It's sad about the Furulund event, I remember it well although I wasn't there I followed it closly and had freinds who were there that raced Kyosho.

As I said in my earlier post MOST other brands will do well if setup correctly.

I'm sure Lutz would have done much better with a Kyosho, thats why my son and I race them and have done for many years.

My main point of all this is for OffroadRebel to realise that whatever buggy you choose out of the three your thinking about you should be fine.

Depending on you level of expertise with wrenching and driving each of the three will be good for you.

From my experience (38 years playing with all things RC, 17 of them 1/8 offroad) if you are fairly new to it (1 or 2 years) then Xray would be the go. They are tough and easy to build and setup. Then Mugen and finally Kyosho, these two need good drivers as they do break if bashed around too much. Having said this Kyosho have made good improvements to the front arms and are quite tough now. There is an issue with breaking axles but this is easily fixed with the IF333 axles from the front of the MP777 SP2 as they don't break and fit perfectly in the back of the MP9. We have no other issues with the MP9 at this time.
Nitro X Fuels