R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #46
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to DavidR

LMAO...

It never ceases to amaze me the number of grown men who will complain about a measly $50 entry fee, and then subsequent trophy if they get or don't get one.

We spend thousands of dollars on this hobby, and yet a huge group of people complain about the $50 entry fee to race a big event. That in my opinion is just messed up... We'll spend $70 each on 4 sets of tires for the event, but complain that it costs so much to actually enter a race!

Regarding trophies... I say we do away with all of them! Those who won already know it, and those who lost... Well... They know it also!

The point of a trophy is to reward those who were fastest... Give them something to show for their hard work! If we hand them out to everybody as a participation prize, the value to those who actually earned the thing by putting in the time to practice and improve goes down.

Out of the stacks and piles of trophies I've aquired over the years, there are very few that actually MEAN something to me... Because of this mentality that everybody deserves something if they participate. They handed them out like candy to so many people! My 1st-3rd place trophy or plaque has no meaning to me anymore when they give trophies to the top 10 plus 5 from the freaking B-Main.

The point that needs to be made is that just because you paid your entry fee, DOES NOT mean you are entitled to a trophy. You still have to earn that!

Secondary point... Who cares if it's a plaque or an actual trophy? You have something to show for your accomplishment! Which if things are ran correctly and only the best recieve them, only you and a couple others from that event can say.
DavidR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #47
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
LMAO...

It never ceases to amaze me the number of grown men who will complain about a measly $50 entry fee, and then subsequent trophy if they get or don't get one.

We spend thousands of dollars on this hobby, and yet a huge group of people complain about the $50 entry fee to race a big event. That in my opinion is just messed up... We'll spend $70 each on 4 sets of tires for the event, but complain that it costs so much to actually enter a race!

Regarding trophies... I say we do away with all of them! Those who won already know it, and those who lost... Well... They know it also!

The point of a trophy is to reward those who were fastest... Give them something to show for their hard work! If we hand them out to everybody as a participation prize, the value to those who actually earned the thing by putting in the time to practice and improve goes down.

Out of the stacks and piles of trophies I've aquired over the years, there are very few that actually MEAN something to me... Because of this mentality that everybody deserves something if they participate. They handed them out like candy to so many people! My 1st-3rd place trophy or plaque has no meaning to me anymore when they give trophies to the top 10 plus 5 from the freaking B-Main.

The point that needs to be made is that just because you paid your entry fee, DOES NOT mean you are entitled to a trophy. You still have to earn that!

Secondary point... Who cares if it's a plaque or an actual trophy? You have something to show for your accomplishment! Which if things are ran correctly and only the best recieve them, only you and a couple others from that event can say.
I AGREE.
jmc33194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #48
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to flyfish

I hate plastic plaque
flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Sun Lakes DID have some bomb awards huh

They were different, not too fancy or big; just right

Team Mugen Seiki MBX6R, Ninja, AKA
Futaba, Hitec, Trailerpark Paint, KBRL #238
Roy Esckelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
LMAO...

oh how true that is!
fast for an old guy
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The two coolest plaques I've ever seen in RC, are the ones that are in my profile pic. A lot of thought and effort went into the design by the track owners at JTEC Racing in Illinois. They look nice on the wall, and are huge! I'd take a wall of these over a shelf of trophies any day of the week!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Here's our prize pool for our state champs... our club is tiny compared across the nation...

People were complaing about the hike in entry from the normal $20 in past years to $40 entry... until they read this

The higher price will cover the shirts and cost for the custom built cherry wood trophies (not small trophies 1st is like 3 feet tall)
47" plasma or LCD TV
Full surround sound system
Blue Ray DVD Player
as well as a ton of RC related stuff and gift certificates
Old 09-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #53
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

here is what we just gave out at the last reginols along with free food for all entrys and about 3000 in free raffle 6 nova rossi motors and so on
plus plaques for top ten in all classes.
$25 entry fee

our last club series gave out $8000 in raffle and custom trophies for all entrys

sorry for the poor pictures

bcquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #54
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Club series clocks and plaques /trophies
not the biggest thing but a little different then the norm

bcquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #55
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

SCREW the Trophy!!!!!!!!!!! SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!
TEAM ASSOCIATED T4.1/NOVAK/REEDY SONIC 10.5
Vareck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:02 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcquick View Post
Club series clocks and plaques /trophies
not the biggest thing but a little different then the norm

I like this idea.. Ver inovative..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vareck View Post
SCREW the Trophy!!!!!!!!!!! SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!
I recently attended a race where the top 10 places recieved trophies, and the top 3 got paid!!!! It was the first I had been to that did both.. It was a Local/Smaller track but attendance was stellar. We had been averaging 60-75 depending on weather, we had over 100 for that one.. Mainly SC trucks, but 1/8 is making a come back in this area..
Old 11-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #57
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I had quite a collection of trophies from years worth of various sports but the missus hates clutter so they got boxed up and i dont even know where they are now. Alot of them were quite nice trophies and meant alot at the time but as priorities change they lost importance.

In the last year and a half i have been racing i have accumulated a decent number of trophies and while they are a nice reward and a few of them mean something, they just sit in the garage on a shelf and on the beer fridge. They are a talking point when mates come round for a beer but the best reward i get is the response from my 5 year old boy when i come home with a result

Personally i think a trophy is a bonus. Knowing you were the fastest guy on the day means alot more than a plastic cup or plaque and if you didn't earn it by winning or placing well, why would it mean anything?
Nogas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Pretty good topic and suggestions,

I guess part of it comes down to what a plaque or trophy means to a person. The type of race event can also play a part in what the award could mean to racers. To an extent it's in the eye of the beholder.

For club races I don't think an award is too important to have. Though nice to have, usually you can end up with a stack of things that never see the light of day after a few years if you stay with it long enough. I know I have a few of those stacks sitting around and from time to time I find some I didn't think I still had. Most racers on the club level race with the same racers week in week out, race in race out. Mainly bragging rights amongst friends, yet there are some that will complain if they didn't get their award for the day.

At my local indoor track they give out raffle tickets for entries and top top three finishes. At the end of the month they hold a raffle for what is to be given away. Could be a new kit, tires, free races, gift certificates, what ever they decide to do. So far it seems to work pretty well and is something different.

At larger events, think a once a year two day event, regional, or national caliber event, the plaque or trophy could and should mean a little more to those that are good enough to get them. Mainly because it's not your everyday race and usually the awards are much nicer to look at.

I've been to big races that have went with the standard top three plus TQ for a class. I have also been at events that did award all of the A-Main racers with a little something. I can't say if one or the other is any better or worse. I think the ammount of classes offered at the event can be a deciding factor as to what way the people putting on the event want to go. Think about it, if you have 15 different classes at the same event and go with the top three finishers plus TQ for each class, that's a ton of awards and a pretty good sized cost to get. Now to the other end, say you have an event with only four classes being run and want to do a little something different and have the top 10 in the A-Main all get a little some thing, is there really much of a difference? I don't really think so.

At the one event I was at that did give the top 10 from the A-Main awards, I would have been stoked to get something if I would have been fast enough to make the A. That would have had the same effect for me as winning the main. Just my making it to the A would have been a huge feat and that award would have meant a little more to me that maybe some others that did make it to the A. Yet I didn't and I wasn't expecting to either. My just being at that event was more than enough for me.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

As for the type of award?

Plaque or trophy, doesn't really matter to me. Like others have said, once you get enough of them, there are less and less that have that special meaning to them. Though Plaques are easier to display more of.

Lately I really like the Pit mats, car stands, or anything that a racer would normally use in their pits. With all the custom graphics out there for those things, it's a bit of a cool factor that the award you might win is something that is usable to the racer.

I like the idea of the body wrap award, though it might be a hard thing to pull off with all the different bodies out there for a given class. I'd be happy if i simply got one of the Factory Pro's bodies with a number 1, 2, or 3 on it with a autograph as an award.

As for the costs for a big event? I do miss the old days of cheaper entry fees and all you got for how little the entry fee was. Sadly those days are gone and I doubt will return like it once was. Still there are events that have a control tire or spec tire, while maybe not the handout tire of yester year, it's still nice to see. I wouldn't mind seeing that a little more in offroad, mainly the 1/8th nitro classes at larger events. Have say Pro Line be the spec/control tire for Buggy and AKA for Truggy or something like that. Maybe one set with the entry fee and only two more sets after that for the whole event. Would keep the overall costs down for racers and make racers save their tires as they couldn't just put on a new set each run. The fast racers will still be fast racers, but they just might have to work a little harder. It could work. Difficult, yes. Impossible, no.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #60
Tech Apprentice

Default Trophy

Like so many others have said, a trophy for 7th place in the "E" main is a joke!!!!!!! This is NOT little league baseball where no score is kept and everyone wins!!!!!!!!

This is RC Racing, and although it will not change the world there are many of us who take it very serious. The desire to do the best you can is obvious when you get to the track. A trophy should mean something! That way when you do "earn" one you take pride in the fact that all your hard work has paid off.
fireman rich is offline   Reply With Quote