Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What brand buggy should i get? >

What brand buggy should i get?

What brand buggy should i get?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What brand buggy should i get?

I am looking to get into 1/8th scale nitro off road buggy racing/bashing. I have had good experiences with Associated stuff in the past so my first thought would be to get an RC8b or RC8.2. I want to hear owners what they think about the different models in this class, Mugen, Ofna, Losi, serpent, Xray, Hot bodies. I am really interested in some of the newcomers to this class as well such as the team Durango DNX408, JQ Products "THE Car", Agamma A8, so anyone with first had experience with those would be awesome too.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if 80% of what you are doing is bashing then I would go with the RC8B or the RC8.2, though with the additional aluminum drivetrain components you'll be replacing those a bit.

If your racing then any of them are good. Just depends on your driving style.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

D8 cheap and tuff, enough said...........................
Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Depends on how serious you are on racing. If you are bashing then go with something cheaper. Everyone will spin their own brand. If you are racing then Serpent, Losi, AE, or Kyosho would be the list I would pull from. Bashing then the D8 it's touh and reasonably priced.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I love this question! everytime it comes up it turns into a debate. Buy what you want, can get parts for fairly easily and go to the track to see what others are running. Other drivers can be potential part suppliers in a bind. The vehicle itself does not matter per say as the driver is what takes the truck/car to first place. A pro driver can drive turd and make it look good.

Matt
Old 08-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Only buggy exp. i have is with Losi 8's and Ofna's. Both have been excellent to me with the OFNA being a little more rugged for bashing. If you don't mind ordering you parts online than i would recommend whichever fits your budget. If you have a shop close, see what they stock
Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AWDdude
I am looking to get into 1/8th scale nitro off road buggy racing/bashing. I have had good experiences with Associated stuff in the past so my first thought would be to get an RC8b or RC8.2. I want to hear owners what they think about the different models in this class, Mugen, Ofna, Losi, serpent, Xray, Hot bodies. I am really interested in some of the newcomers to this class as well such as the team Durango DNX408, JQ Products "THE Car", Agamma A8, so anyone with first had experience with those would be awesome too.
Most of the buggies you mentioned are good.

I run the Agama A8 EVO. It's very nibble, accelerates really hard and jumps well. Has plenty of steering and reacts to minor changes in setup. It is one of the narrowest and most adjustable buggies on the market without the need for custom modifications to its original design. It needs few if any optional hop up parts. The quality of the plastics are right up there and most of it's few initial issues have been pretty much sorted for a while now. The support and advice you get from fellow racers in the Agama thread especially the American team drivers is some of the best on rctech. I don't think you can go wrong with the Agama.

In addition to the Agama I would also look at the following:

JQ Products - THE Car (Super light, nimble. plenty of steering, excellent support.)
Sworkz - S350 BK1 (Think Mugen on steroids, stable wider design, nice newer features like rear kick-up on chassis, neat droop screw system etc.)
Serpent - 811 Cobra (Stable but also fast. Kind of in between a really nimble car like the Agama or JQ and a wider stable car like a Mugen or Sworks.)
Team Associated - RC8.2 (Looks great, comes with plenty of optional bling, geometry looks about right now. Wider stable design. Definitely worth a look.)

A buggy that doesn't seem to be mentioned a lot is the upcoming Hot Bodies CR8. It's innovative in its design and has the engine placed as close to the centre of the chassis on any buggy I have ever seen. It might still be a while off, but one I would be looking at in the future.

One thing I will say and this is just my personal opinion as a privateer. If I buy a kit and have to start using other manufacturers diffs, after market chassis, changing shock placement and total geometry of a car to how the factory designed it (not talking setup changes here), then to me that is an epic fail.

End of the day, do your research and choose the one you will spend more time running and having fun, than wrenching/hacking and changing its initial design.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John.
Most of the buggies you mentioned are good.

I run the Agama A8 EVO. It's very nibble, accelerates really hard and jumps well. Has plenty of steering and reacts to minor changes in setup. It is one of the narrowest and most adjustable buggies on the market without the need for custom modifications to its original design. It needs few if any optional hop up parts. The quality of the plastics are right up there and most of it's few initial issues have been pretty much sorted for a while now. The support and advice you get from fellow racers in the Agama thread especially the American team drivers is some of the best on rctech. I don't think you can go wrong with the Agama.

In addition to the Agama I would also look at the following:

JQ Products - THE Car (Super light, nimble. plenty of steering, excellent support.)
Sworkz - S350 BK1 (Think Mugen on steroids, stable wider design, nice newer features like rear kick-up on chassis, neat droop screw system etc.)
Serpent - 811 Cobra (Stable but also fast. Kind of in between a really nimble car like the Agama or JQ and a wider stable car like a Mugen or Sworks.)
Team Associated - RC8.2 (Looks great, comes with plenty of optional bling, geometry looks about right now. Wider stable design. Definitely worth a look.)

A buggy that doesn't seem to be mentioned a lot is the upcoming Hot Bodies CR8. It's innovative in its design and has the engine placed as close to the centre of the chassis on any buggy I have ever seen. It might still be a while off, but one I would be looking at in the future.

One thing I will say and this is just my personal opinion as a privateer. If I buy a kit and have to start using other manufacturers diffs, after market chassis, changing shock placement and total geometry of a car to how the factory designed it (not talking setup changes here), then to me that is an epic fail.

End of the day, do your research and choose the one you will spend more time running and having fun, than wrenching/hacking and changing its initial design.
+1 Bravo.... Well put John. Buy what you want not what everybody want you to have. If you look around there is no 100% dominant car on the market. So rememebr have fun and get the car that intrigues you. I can bet money you already know in your heart what you want, your just trying to find someone to talk you out of it....lol..... Just have fun and buy what you really want....
Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all your input guys, I would love to get a JQ products "THE Car" but its out of my price range. so im going to try and find a used RC8B.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

For bashing I would get whatever car your local hobby shop stocks parts for.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

Pretty much every car kit on the Market today will be more than capable of taking everything you will throw at it. Go to your local track, see what the fast guys are running and then just choose the logo you want on your hat/Tshirt the most
Old 09-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vw addict
For bashing I would get whatever car your local hobby shop stocks parts for.
This is good advice.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

This is a good idea. There really aren't any RC shops out here in Katy, the Local dirt track has a small shop but they are still building up inventory and concentrate mostly on short course trucks.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Depends on how serious you are on racing. If you are bashing then go with something cheaper. Everyone will spin their own brand. If you are racing then Serpent, Losi, AE, or Kyosho would be the list I would pull from. Bashing then the D8 it's touh and reasonably priced.
Not starting anything, but are you saying that the D8 isn't race worthy?