Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How to make the tires stay on the wheels? >

How to make the tires stay on the wheels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

How to make the tires stay on the wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default How to make the tires stay on the wheels?

I am getting so sick and tired of this.

Bad enough having to do it once but every time I go out, I have to bring all these extra sets with me because the tires won't stay on and I'm always stuck regluing.

I've tried everything I can think of from sanding the wheels, cleaning them with 93% alcohol and the beads on the tires. Rubber bands to hold them tight. I even do one bead one night and wait til the next day to glue the other side. I've experimented with different glues too with different consistencies and brands like Zap CA and whatever that is from the LHS. Now I'm trying out this black rubberized stuff hoping that holds. Don't know yet.

IMO, this is the only bad part of the hobby making me wonder what idiot thought gluing tires was the thing to do.

But maybe I'm just doing it all wrong?

Any write ups on this anywhere?

Anybody have methods that work?
Old 11-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Tech Adept

if everything is seating properly then I wonder if it's the prepping....using simple green seems to be proven, gord tessman has experimented with which cleaner works best and came up with simple green for tire gluing

I set the bead where I want it and use sweep glue and don't pull the bead away, the glue wicks in, roll any excess glue around the rim and carefully throw the band on

I'm sure it frustrating, hope you figure it out...might be something on youtube to bring it together for ya

I despise shock fluid rebuild
Old 11-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used to have your same problem. I tried sanding, alcohol too. Didn't work.

Now this is what I'm doing and haven't had a tire come out again.

I clean the tires with simple green using paper towels until the paper towel comes out clean. It does take several pass so be patient. Then I do the same with the wheels. I only use proline tire glue. The key is to have a super clean surface on both the wheel and the tire, so after I have the tire in the wheel ready to be glued I do a last pass with a microfiber cloth to ensure there is no dust before applying the glue. Sanding does not work so stop doing that.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Jason Ruona's way:-
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Ty Tessmann's way:-
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Adam Drake's way:-
+ YouTube Video

Old 11-13-2016, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I also had problem gluing my own tires in the past. Then I switched to pre mounts but then couldn't have my own choice of tires and the colour of rims.
Then the tire gluing jig came out and I decided to try again. By doing the usual cleaning of the tires with degreaser and sanding the rims with sanding drum, I added the jig. The jig allows me to put enough glue to the correct areas. Have not had any problem since.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In my opinion the biggest problem here is the use of Zap CA. It's common knowledge in my area that Zap is terrible for gluing tyres, it just doesn't stick.
I think safest bet would be to use a brand-name RC tyre glue, like AKA, Proline, Muchmore, etc.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:42 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Prep and the proper glue.

Clean the tire AFTER you punch the vent holes and put the insert in. Otherwise
you end up with foam dust all over the tire, closed cell prolines are the worst for
this. Use simple green and let it dry completely.

Use a tire specific glue such as AKA ,Proline, Losi or Racers Edge. Hardware store CA
is not thin enough to flow properly.

In your case one of the clamping tire gluing jigs might be useful, more glue is not
better though. You just need a thin bead all the way around. Tires tearing off the
rim starts with small unglued spots that get worse.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3818470...&ul_noapp=true
Old 11-14-2016, 12:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Friend and I were having problems with the AKA long wear compounds. Asked AKA and they said to use acetone and not alcohol.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Wipe the bead with simple green on a paper towel a d thats all the prep you need. Not to mention, knowing how to secure your tire when glueing.tessman shows a prep
Old 11-14-2016, 05:22 AM
Tech Champion

Best tire I ever glued had no prep work at all. Maybe we're just making things worse cleaning.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Best tire I ever glued had no prep work at all. Maybe we're just making things worse cleaning.
+1, i have always had the best results with as stated, cleaning the bead + wheel (simple green) then taking my time to glue (AKA). Patience and Consistency is the key! This was all learned from the days of gluing 1/8 Donuts on wheels.

I think the prepping with sanding while in theory sound good, actually gives you less physical flat to flat surface area for the glue to work.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I haven't seen it mentioned here but flashpoint tire glue is some serious stuff. I generally rip the rubber before the bead lets loose! Get a good quality jig. One fan of flashpoint and roll the jig around to fully coat the wheel, take off, band it, good to go after 5 'minutes
Old 11-15-2016, 01:21 AM
Tech Regular

I have used all the above prepping methods, and i think the most important thing i can say is use the right glue! AKA has proven to be the best for me, i can even get away with not properly prepping with that glue, however i still do dremel the wheels and tires and wash them out then dry them. I then use alcohol spray before gluing up and also a special jig that pulls the bead of the tyre away from the rim rather than pushing it into the bottom of the rim bead (which most jigs do not leave exposed).

as far as the dust from foams go after seating the tire on the wheel, i generally just blow of the dust just before gluing to be extra sure lol.

i know it all seems a bit excessive but i had enough $60-80 sets of wheels undo themselves to take any shortcuts, i now trust my method after it never failing me since inception (touch wood) and i think it is important to try get comfortable and consistent in every step with your particular proven method.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Spray Nine 26832 Heavy Duty Cleaner/Degreaser

Best stuff to get the release lube that is on the tire and wheels.
And do Jason Ruona's way:-

And Phil tire jig

Have not had any come apart.

It takes time. I hate gluing

1 Degreaser
2 glue
3 time
4 time
Old 11-15-2016, 04:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by adrictan
I also had problem gluing my own tires in the past. Then I switched to pre mounts but then couldn't have my own choice of tires and the colour of rims.
Then the tire gluing jig came out and I decided to try again. By doing the usual cleaning of the tires with degreaser and sanding the rims with sanding drum, I added the jig. The jig allows me to put enough glue to the correct areas. Have not had any problem since.
I've had premounts come appart. You just cant win

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.