Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

mental training

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

I just use a piece of fuel tubing to chew on, cause I will swollow gum, Then I just take a deep breath and drive the car, also I tell myself ALOT before the race, the driver that wins mostly gets what the loser gets. Just that he won. Also if you believe in your car and equipment to not fail, then that takes part of the nerves away. If you can finish a race your probably going to do good. Dont go to BIG races with worn out motors servos etc, and race within your budget. People put so much pressure on themselves and they dont have the equipment to win or blow so much money they think they otta win. If your a club racer, say hey I am a club racer and let it be and have fun. If you have $5000 plus in your car rig and ride, and sponsors, hey if it dont pay the light bill then its still a hobby and have fun. We all want to be the next Tebo, but lets be ourselves....haha sounded good
Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Tech Adept

If u live in a country that weed are legal,just have a tiny tini one and u will b in the zone!Ops...
savage24x likes this.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mohd Zailani
If u live in a country that weed are legal,just have a tiny tini one and u will b in the zone!Ops...
a lortab can also help calm the nerves too lol
Old 08-23-2011, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisL
This a great thread and certainly not voodoo. The study into sport science and particularly the aspects of it relating to concentration are entirely relevant to our sport. I wrote for the Australian magazine 'Racing Lines' a year or so ago and now have one disciple to these principles who is a Worlds finalist! Article detailed below:

Are you interested in going faster and performing better without spending a single dollar on hop ups or go fast gear? If so, read on as we explain some techniques derived from the field of sports psychology which are directly applicable to R/C car racing.

Magazines, the internet and trackside chatter are full of ideas and opinions to help you tune your chassis better to optimise performance however what is significantly overlooked in R/C car racing circles is the part that the driver plays in the equation. Sports psychology, the newest of the sports science disciplines, is used extensively in other competitive fields to give the participants an edge. Its use ranges from skill acquisition, motivation, increasing confidence / control and increasing concentration levels. All of which, I’m sure you would agree, are crucial in racing. So what are some of these techniques and how can they be used in our field?

Have you ever been at home and gone over a race or a lap of your track in your head? If you have, you have essentially been using imagery which is a form of simulation. The ideal way to do this would be transmitter in hand to recreate the actual movements you would make at the track and imagine yourself driving the perfect laps. You would see the car cutting perfect lines, hitting every apex and rotating perfectly through the middle and exit of the turns whilst working the transmitter in your hand. In off road, you could also imagine the trajectory and throttle control required over the various obstacles. What you are effectively doing is creating muscle memory which over time should increase what ever level of natural talent you possess. Research studies have demonstrated that this form of mental practice can be almost as effective as actually doing the activity itself and is a perfect way to practice when you can’t actually get to the track!

Being “in the zone” is a term used when a driver cannot make a mistake and everything happens very easily. So why can’t we perform like this all the time? Mental routines are used to prepare a racers mind for the upcoming competition and include specific thoughts, words, images and feelings which are used every time a driver walks up on to the drivers stand. This is important to ensure that the driver is not too flat or too energised prior to the start of competition. The research material in this subject area clearly demonstrates a link between lower levels of arousal and the fine motor control which is required to race an R/C car. Mental routines for racing may include thoughts like “stay smooth, keep tight” which can help focus your thoughts more effectively. Mental routines may also provide a security blanket for those stressful times like at important races or when you are out in front.

Once you have your mental routines sorted, you can move on to the race itself where you need to have steadfast concentration. Working against this concentration is a diverse range of distractions which can be internal – thoughts, feelings, emotions or external – yelling on the drivers stand or from pit lane, commentary or visual like the movement of marshals. Internal distractions are often thoughts which can lead to anxiety and ultimately loss of concentration. Have you ever been leading a race and started to worry about getting across the line first rather than staying focused and just driving the car? This is a perfect example of how a distraction can ruin your day. Strategies to overcome these distractions and maintain concentration include using cue words to remind you of what you need to concentrate on, positive self talk to reduce anxiety and simulation training to accustomise yourself to the types of external distractions which can occur during a race.

Motivation - everyone knows about this and ultimately is the difference between performing at your peak or being an also ran. The desire and actions which enable a competitor to perform at their maximum are what make them a winner or a loser. What you must understand is that winning is not necessarily coming first in your race. Being a winner is where a competitor reaches a level which approaches their ultimate performance taking into account their natural talent and available resources. This may range from making the A final at a EP stock tourer club race to winning a buggy world championship for the elite; ie it is very individual specific.
By sustaining ones motivation, a racer is likely to experience a higher level of success than they would if they turned it on and off ad hoc. This assists with the competitor being better equipped to deal with the stress of competition, enjoy the activity more remain positive and prepared for all events.

So how much do you want to win? If you are serious about getting the maximum result possible no matter what your level of natural talent, you will use some of the techniques detailed here to help you get there. The science of sports psychology is still in its relative infancy however many great achievements which you have seen at the race track, or read about in a magazine are a direct result of having the right mental preparation.
Well put ChrisL... Well Put
Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by atl darrick
x2 Got me a whole bottle of those, now I gotta better use for em. Everytime I get up their I shake, and it feels like my hearts jumping outta my chest. Everything gets zoned out but my heart beats super loud
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When I race I basically pretend that im the only person on the track! I am never racing anyone else when im out there, the only thing im racing is the track... I also had to learn to block out all engine noise as its absolutely impossible to distinguish your engine from the next guys..... Just get yourself into the mindset that your the only one out there and run those laps as if you were by your self just practicing..
Another little trick that will help you out is to hold your radio in one position, dont be turning it like its a steering wheel on a car Just relax, breath, and do the best that YOU can do....Its just a race, and its supposed to be fun, so relax and have fun with it...Works for me!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I do 3 sets of 50 mental push-ups, super-setting 3 sets of mental ab-crunches in between, followed by a 20 minute mental cool down run, all from the comfort of my office chair J/K

Good thread though! Quite a few good ideas. Chris, that's a great post. I have nothing to contribute because it's all been covered already ( ..OH..don't forget to stretch your trigger finger )

Last edited by NitroFreakManHo; 08-23-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

2 beer, 3 Valium = golden !
Old 08-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by atl darrick
Lol!bad!bad!bad!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Maximo
2 beer, 3 Valium = golden !

your'e the bomb neal !
Old 08-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I took a brake from racing for about 5 years and starting flying helicopters. The nerves on the stand are nothing compaired to your first solo flight or pulling off a new 3D manuver with your $2500 machine. A mechinacal failure or a set of dumb thumbs can cause a crash that only takes a few seconds to develop as you watch it destroy itself when it hits the ground with a thud and cloud of dust rises up from the earth.

I just take a deep breath and just think I am running a qualifier on my own clock. If the nerves start to come unraveled which will almost always lead to me needing a marshal, I clear my mind of the mistake and take a few more deep breaths. You will always make up more time if you get into the zone and keep driving your lines instead of pushing yourself and equipment to be faster. And I always come off the stand smiling or laughing becasue we are racing "toy" cars for bowling tophies and fake wood plaques!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beidle99
cars for bowling tophies and fake wood plaques!
don't forget bragging rights
Old 08-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by inpuressa
lol, don't take a 5-hour energy drink before the mains messed me up bad last time. Need to take the stuff snipers use to calm them down.

you mean diazapam?? i got a script for it.... works better than a stiff drink plus you don't have to worry about peeing yourself in the middle of the A-main!!!!

oh wait...that's what happens with MORE than one stiff drink...woops
Old 08-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beidle99
If the nerves start to come unraveled which will almost always lead to me needing a marshal
This is the big thing, not yelling at marshals for being to slow, I mean it was YOUR mistake. That's when you need to keep your cool. You can get way off your game getting mad at marshals during the race, deep breaths
Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

16 oz RedBull before heats and 16 oz RedBull before the main.... Metallica playing in my head and an ass kicking grin on the way to the stands. I take a big deep breath, spread my feet so the driver next to me isnt too close so he blocks my view of the straight/ track and drop the hammer on GO!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.