Community
Wiki Posts
Search

oh no, what have I done!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thanks everyone, so many helpful replies. I love this place!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inferno13
i would not worry about it at all, i dont use ARO on my engines, i dont feel it is good for a silicone filed crank, all it does is soften silicon and make it weak, not sure if the losi 350 in silicon or not but no worries bud!!!! sleep well tonite
nope no silicon

but i think after run oil is a gimmick and a waste of money. just run your motors dry every time and store at bdc and it'll be gravy
Old 08-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vw addict
So stupid me ripping it back and forth up the street to the delight of the family doesn't realize it's running lean until the controller starts beeping. Yep, overheating. I immediately shut it down, put the piston to BDC, let it cool a bit, pulled the plug and dropped in after run. is everything going to be ok? Is there anything else I can do. Please help I am worried I ruined my new buggies engine!!
What temp have you set the alarm to go off on the radio? I'd assume it's probably set between 220 - 250F. So if it just started beeping and you switched it off there is no issue what so ever. Don't worry one bit.

With regards to ARO. It's only used to prevent corrosion if you're not going to use the engine for a while. Some fuels are more corrosive than others. So whether you should use it or not really depends on the brand of fuel you use. To be safe I would use it. Also Most decent ARO's are silicone friendly. They will not affect the silicon fill in cranks, not that you have a silicon filled crank in the 350 but I see some people claim it softens silicone.

Another stupid question, pull plug, add ARO, then do I put the plug back in or not before turning the engine over on the starter box? I figured I didn't want all that oil on the plug so I didn't.
No question is stupid when you're learning. Pull the plug out, a few drops down (I use 3-4 drops) and then plug back in. Kick her over for about 3-5 seconds on the starter box and you're done. You can also put a drop or two done the carb, but I avoid this unless I know I'm not going to start the engine for at least 6 months.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you were ripping that thing wide open up and Down the street I would be more worried about the connecting rod stretching. That's what really hurts the motor doing long wide open runs.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Put plug in after aro and turn over. Not with it out, aro is never a bad thing.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

but i was running it top end lean for a bit, still no ARO?
I don't know if you were running lean but according to your earlier post with a temp of 250* you did no damage at all to your motor. I break my motors in on the first tank at the temp. so your fine...no need to worry at all...
Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

I am going to head to the local track tomorrow to pick up some nitro. What is the best way to bring the engine up to temp so I can check the tune? Do I just let it idle on the box, or drive it around slowly?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So the family was over my house for a BBQ today and at some point the new 8ight 2.0 was spotted. So of course they made me take it out and the inevitable "well how fast does it go" came up. So stupid me ripping it back and forth up the street to the delight of the family doesn't realize it's running lean until the controller starts beeping. Yep, overheating. I immediately shut it down, put the piston to BDC, let it cool a bit, pulled the plug and dropped in after run. is everything going to be ok? Is there anything else I can do. Please help I am worried I ruined my new buggies engine!!
I wouldnt worry about it, the factory temp sensor on the Spektrum radio is notorious for reading too high and inaccurately........ARO after the fact will do absolutely nothing....just pull that stupid temp sensor off the engine and use the spit test to monitor temps...put spit on the top of the cooling head, if it sizzless off instantly you are too hot...if it take 4 seconds to evaporate you are within range..........
Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am going to head to the local track tomorrow to pick up some nitro. What is the best way to bring the engine up to temp so I can check the tune? Do I just let it idle on the box, or drive it around slowly?
start it on the box and let it run gooseing the trigger keeping it running for about a minute letting it clear out. then put it on the track and make several good laps with it then pull a temp check and tune from there...I have ALWAYS tuned from about a half a tank myself..knowing how my race engines run and by there sounds I can tune them pretty close now along with my wrench man as well...also to if you need help don't be afraid to approach 1 of the other guys there I am sure they would be more then willing to give you help and advice on your needs.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Initiate

i thought the story was going to end with him hitting the dog or something.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If you invite me to your next BBQ, I'll tell you
Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sylvain
If you invite me to your next BBQ, I'll tell you
You are certainly invited!!! Next one is for my birthday, which is strangely the same day as yours.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

You are certainly invited!!! Next one is for my birthday, which is strangely the same day as yours.
Yet another reason to drink beer!