R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Nitro vs e

I am a hard core nitro fan, the smell, the tuning of engine and clutch, all about nitro replicates real racing much better, the sad part...I tried a 1/8e and i was 2 seconds faster per lap (mp9 tki2wc vs mp9e)
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nv529

Granted both cars are set up correctly and well tuned, your over driving or simply out of the groove with the nitro to make it 2 seconds off pace. I run both classes and I'm usually a second or less between the two cars while racing the same lines.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I think it is common to be a bit faster (1-2 secs per lap) with an ebuggy just due to the acceleration and speed it possesses. On some tracks you can make larger jumps more easily which would shave time.
rfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

just get a stronger nitro engine !
Old 08-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Electric is faster. Not sure any of your engines can do this Neal using 1 gear.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This is one of many 100+mph rtr type of kits (with high powered brushless systems) running around on youtube. When it comes to speed and power nitro doesn't hold a candle to brushless and Lipo power. Don't get me wrong I would go nitro over electric every time, but not because it's the be all and end all when it comes to power or speed.

The land speed record for an RC car is currently held by electric power, not nitro power.

Back to the opening post I've always thought what would cut faster lap times. Next time I'm at the track I'll compare some of the lap times the "E" cars are cutting compared to Nitro. Thing is though the faster more experienced guys are running nitro not E. Does anyone know if E kits are lighter? Or do they need to adhere to the 3200g weight minimum as well?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
I am a hard core nitro fan, the smell, the tuning of engine and clutch, all about nitro replicates real racing much better, the sad part...I tried a 1/8e and i was 2 seconds faster per lap (mp9 tki2wc vs mp9e)
Must not be driving it right. On most tracks the nitros are faster....due to the brake bias which makes them easier to get around tight turns and smoother powerband. Just check out the pros at all the big events. The nitro 9 times out of 10 has the fastest lap times. Maifield, Robbers.....etc when at AMS they are faster then the electrics. Heck Jesse was faster by .5 sec with his nitro then his electric and he won the E-buggy class.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nv529

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfleck View Post
I think it is common to be a bit faster (1-2 secs per lap) with an ebuggy just due to the acceleration and speed it possesses. On some tracks you can make larger jumps more easily which would shave time.
I somewhat disagree, if your racing the same lines and hitting the same jumps the lap times should be on par with each other. It's just a matter of how well you can drive both cars on the same layout, at most tracks there is only so much traction available you can only go so fast before you start over driving the car. Coming from a electric background I used to always be faster with my e buggy until I started getting more in sync with my nitro as a driver and engine tuner some weekends I'm faster with the nitro, and other weekends with the electric. However, I will admit the electric does "feel easier" to get in tuned with because the power and braking ability is constant all the time.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This is one of many 100+mph rtr type of kits (with high powered brushless systems) running around on youtube. When it comes to speed and power nitro doesn't hold a candle to brushless and Lipo power. Don't get me wrong I would go nitro over electric every time, but not because it's the be all and end all when it comes to power or speed.

The land speed record for an RC car is currently held by electric power, not nitro power.

Back to the opening post I've always thought what would cut faster lap times. Next time I'm at the track I'll compare some of the lap times the "E" cars are cutting compared to Nitro. Thing is though the faster more experienced guys are running nitro not E. Does anyone know if E kits are lighter? Or do they need to adhere to the 3200g weight minimum as well?
Faster in a straight line does not mean faster on a track! Different situations require different power characteristics, especially on a moto-cross style track..

Losi 8T 2.0, ClockWorkRacing O.S. 25XZ, S&W fuel.....
abqNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post

+ YouTube Video

I have brushless machines come to my track all the time, I even drive them from time to time.... A strong nitro has no issues at all keeping with the BL...there is one feature the BL is more consistent on, but on other parts of the track the nitro is faster, such as the front straight...Yes BL can be made wildly fast, but they cant run these extreme setups on the track and keep the system from overheating....A consistent usable track setup is quite de-tuned from a top speed setup ... On our track the fastest laps are set by nitros, but some people will just drive faster with an electric then they will with a BL.... And without question a stout nitro can hang right with a track setup BL...or at least any of the ones we run at our track.......
Old 08-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
Tech Prophet

look heres the main reason why anybody who used to run nitro run electric now, is there is way less hassle in if there engine tuning is not good i know thats why i converted to 1/8 e-truggy.

now i can focus on my driving and setups more.

il be honest on a decent size track a 1/8 e is faster on the straight than most nitros because i know from exprience with my .

one thing i will say is 1/8 e is harder to drive on a dry surface omg but hey its a challege. Thats where the nitro have a advange there easy to drive in that condition.

the main issue i see with people running 1/8 buggy is they over power them to much and crash a lot.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a speed II on my mp9, and my friends mp9e had a 1700kv tekin setup on 4s. I found his buggy more planted and easier to drive than my nitro
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
look heres the main reason why anybody who used to run nitro run electric now, is there is way less hassle in if there engine tuning is not good i know thats why i converted to 1/8 e-truggy.

now i can focus on my driving and setups more.

il be honest on a decent size track a 1/8 e is faster on the straight than most nitros because i know from exprience with my .

one thing i will say is 1/8 e is harder to drive on a dry surface omg but hey its a challege. Thats where the nitro have a advange there easy to drive in that condition.

the main issue i see with people running 1/8 buggy is they over power them to much and crash a lot.
No ur wrong. 1/8e is just as easy and in a sence consider track size and motor to engine is just as fast. A 1/8E is isn't harder to drive. ITS called THROTTLE CONTROL. I have come from nitro, got a e 1/8 and kept nitro. Never really ran my e car because they had no where near the thrill of nitro. I will leave my 1/10 to the e and 1/8 to the nitro. The 1/8 imo is made for nitro, and can be just as fast as e with the right driver behind the wheel of both. It all comes down to consistancy on the track. Theres nothing i hate more then a nitro being compaired to e as far as racing goes. Mainly because around here there always merged. The only advantage to e is no piting. I went e for a month and went right back. I will say this to anyone. If you know what ur doing with nitro then you will always come back. The people who say its to much of a hassle and maitnence is less on e is WRONG. The e cars torque is so much more powerful that it may not seem at the end of the day its hurt but i bet bearing failure and diffs/outdrives and pins are alot more worn and stressed then nitro. The guys who say e is better because of hassle are the lazy ones who dont want to wrench and give up because there engines dont have a good tune and never have the right feeling of a nitro. But when you know what ur doing to a nitro, you will never question a e car. Not to offend people but the whole thing of e being less this an that. The only thing e is less in is engines and fuel. Either you spend $300 on a motor/esc combo that last a long time and buy a few lipos compaired to gallons and engines.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
I have a speed II on my mp9, and my friends mp9e had a 1700kv tekin setup on 4s. I found his buggy more planted and easier to drive than my nitro
Because the e cars weight is consitant. Nitro isn't and it comes to set up also making it planted. Tires make even a diffrence. On a nitro you have a engine and fuel tank on one side, as the race goes ur fuel gets less. Making the car have a diffrent feeling. But with a e its always consitant with the motor and lipos on seperate sides etc. Nitro isn't better nor is E, its all prefrence but i think nitro is way better if you know what your doing and like the sound/ challenge of tunning etc.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
No ur wrong. 1/8e is just as easy and in a sence consider track size and motor to engine is just as fast. A 1/8E is isn't harder to drive. ITS called THROTTLE CONTROL. I have come from nitro, got a e 1/8 and kept nitro. Never really ran my e car because they had no where near the thrill of nitro. I will leave my 1/10 to the e and 1/8 to the nitro. The 1/8 imo is made for nitro, and can be just as fast as e with the right driver behind the wheel of both. It all comes down to consistancy on the track. Theres nothing i hate more then a nitro being compaired to e as far as racing goes. Mainly because around here there always merged. The only advantage to e is no piting. I went e for a month and went right back. I will say this to anyone. If you know what ur doing with nitro then you will always come back. The people who say its to much of a hassle and maitnence is less on e is WRONG. The e cars torque is so much more powerful that it may not seem at the end of the day its hurt but i bet bearing failure and diffs/outdrives and pins are alot more worn and stressed then nitro. The guys who say e is better because of hassle are the lazy ones who dont want to wrench and give up because there engines dont have a good tune and never have the right feeling of a nitro. But when you know what ur doing to a nitro, you will never question a e car. Not to offend people but the whole thing of e being less this an that. The only thing e is less in is engines and fuel. Either you spend $300 on a motor/esc combo that last a long time and buy a few lipos compaired to gallons and engines.

i know its about throttle control smarty j/k the reason why i said that 1/8 e seems harder to drive is the instant torque that kicks in compared to nitro.

i dont waste my money on overpriced $100 lipos it makes no sense there all made in the same factory. I have yet to blow a bearing on my 1/8 rc8te truggy at all or any diffs.

Nobody is lazy because they do not want to mess with nitro not everyone is good at tuning engines . im glad i did the 1/8 e i can relex more and focus on my driving

i like the smell of nitro just dont like the extra matence and tuning involved thats all.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i know its about throttle control smarty j/k the reason why i said that 1/8 e seems harder to drive is the instant torque that kicks in compared to nitro.

i dont waste my money on overpriced $100 lipos it makes no sense there all made in the same factory. I have yet to blow a bearing on my 1/8 rc8te truggy at all or any diffs.

Nobody is lazy because they do not want to mess with nitro not everyone is good at tuning engines . im glad i did the 1/8 e i can relex more and focus on my driving

i like the smell of nitro just dont like the extra matence and tuning involved thats all.

extra maintenance ? please tell me where nitro has extra maintenance then a electric. I just bought a brand new 8E and drove it last weekend, i still had to tear it down completely and clean all the suspension parts just like my nitro so everything is in tip top shape. O wait, im sorry i forgot you think maintenance is just blowing the car off till the next time you race.

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote