R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #61
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

nicely said
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #62
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
It is amazing how much misinformation is still out there about electric 1/8th scale.

Batteries: Lipo packs are not expensive. I can't recall the last time I paid more than $50-$60 bucks for a battery to go in my buggy/truggy. You absolutely do not need the expensive rebadged batteries that some manufacturers sell.

Charge Time: If you invest in a quality charger/power supply instead of these cheapo 50w chargers long charge times are a thing of the past. I can charge my 6s packs from dead in less than 10 Minutes with a Cell Lab Pro 8/Max Amps 24volt Power Supply. Most quality LIPOs (even cheapo ones) are rated for at least 5c charge rates. In fact, I have a cheapo pack rated at 10c charge rates with absolutely no loss in battery performance. Because of the faster charging I only need one pack per car now to run all day. I can charge my packs faster than I can discharge them in the car.

Power: Electric is absolutely faster than nitro. I don't care who modded the engine, there is just no comparison in a straight line and acceleration. However, on the track, nitros are just as fast. The reason I think you see slightly faster lap times from Pro drivers with their nitros is that they race nitros more than their electrics so they are more comfortable. There is only so much power you can use in off road.

With that said, most guys who race electrics 1/8s seriously do not have over powered cars and generally they are no faster top end wise than nitros.

Runtime: 15 minutes is easy with any setup in a buggy. 20 minutes requires a bit more knowledge of picking the right setup. I've completed 25 minute mains with no battery swap before.

I like nitro and both are fun. I just prefer electric. Some guys love the noise and smoke while I don't really particularly care for it longer than a few minutes. RC racing in general is boring to spectators regardless if it is nitro or electric. However, when you are on the driver stand both are absolutely fun and challenging. Do what ever floats your boat. I enjoy racing with both nitros and electrics only. Some like Blondes, others like Redheads...

Curious on the set-up used to make said 25min.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #63
Tech Master

Batteries: Lipo packs are not expensive. I can't recall the last time I paid more than $50-$60 bucks for a battery to go in my buggy/truggy. You absolutely do not need the expensive rebadged batteries that some manufacturers sell. True, I use HobbyPartz and HobbyKing batteries in my SCT. But it seems the locals here donít trust them.
Charge Time: If you invest in a quality charger/power supply instead of these cheapo 50w chargers long charge times are a thing of the past. I can charge my 6s packs from dead in less than 10 Minutes with a Cell Lab Pro 8/Max Amps 24volt Power Supply. Most quality LIPOs (even cheapo ones) are rated for at least 5c charge rates. In fact, I have a cheapo pack rated at 10c charge rates with absolutely no loss in battery performance. Because of the faster charging I only need one pack per car now to run all day. I can charge my packs faster than I can discharge them in the car. Iím not so sure about that 5C charge rate. Iíve seen some batteries advertised as a 5C capable, but they arrive with a sticker saying 2C max.
Power
: Electric is absolutely faster than nitro. I don't care who modded the engine, there is just no comparison in a straight line and acceleration. However, on the track, nitros are just as fast. The reason I think you see slightly faster lap times from Pro drivers with their nitros is that they race nitros more than their electrics so they are more comfortable. There is only so much power you can use in off road. Electrics have instant torque and this is their advantage. Down a 150 straight away, itís a tossup.
With that said, most guys who race electrics 1/8s seriously do not have over powered cars and generally they are no faster top end wise than nitros. Guess it depends on the area.
Runtime: 15 minutes is easy with any setup in a buggy. 20 minutes requires a bit more knowledge of picking the right setup. I've completed 25 minute mains with no battery swap before. I havenít seen a 1/8 buggy go 20 minutes.
I like nitro and both are fun. I just prefer electric. Some guys love the noise and smoke while I don't really particularly care for it longer than a few minutes. RC racing in general is boring to spectators regardless if it is nitro or electric. However, when you are on the driver stand both are absolutely fun and challenging. Do what ever floats your boat. I enjoy racing with both nitros and electrics only. Some like Blondes, others like Redheads... I donít mind running with electrics. But I think they should be scored separately.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Curious on the set-up used to make said 25min.
I've done it with a 5s 5000 and a 6s 4000 using a 1400kv t8 in my buggy and neu motors. I've run a 20 min main in truggy with 5s 5000. I don't like running that long as the packs start getting heavy and it negatively affects the handling in a buggy. Doesn't really affect truggy handling as bad. The best setups for longer mains are saddle packs as the car is better balanced. I know a guy who ran 30 min mains using a saddle pack with 2xs 6s 3300s.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #65
Tech Elite

Hobby city packs are fine. I've been using them years in 8th scale. 8th scale doesn't need the highest quality packs anyway because we are running at higher voltages so the amp draw isn't as bad. We already have too much power. It is the 2s stuff where you really want to run higher quality pack a since the amp load is higher.

I haven't bought a pack with less than 5c charge rates in two years. My 6s 2650 nano tech from hobby city is rated at 10c. I regulary charge it at 8c. I literally charge it after a qualifier in about six minutes or so. For short course 4x4 I prefer thunder power g4 or g6 cells. The g4 packs are rated for 6c while the g6 cells can take a 15c charge! Again, newer cells are almost always rated for 5c or higher now. Anything less is most likely an old cell tech which is why I laugh at folks paying a premium for some name brand packs that are still rated at 1or 2c. Hyperion also offers good bang for buck if you are afraid of the Chinese packs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
Batteries: Lipo packs are not expensive. I can't recall the last time I paid more than $50-$60 bucks for a battery to go in my buggy/truggy. You absolutely do not need the expensive rebadged batteries that some manufacturers sell. True, I use HobbyPartz and HobbyKing batteries in my SCT. But it seems the locals here donít trust them.
Charge Time: If you invest in a quality charger/power supply instead of these cheapo 50w chargers long charge times are a thing of the past. I can charge my 6s packs from dead in less than 10 Minutes with a Cell Lab Pro 8/Max Amps 24volt Power Supply. Most quality LIPOs (even cheapo ones) are rated for at least 5c charge rates. In fact, I have a cheapo pack rated at 10c charge rates with absolutely no loss in battery performance. Because of the faster charging I only need one pack per car now to run all day. I can charge my packs faster than I can discharge them in the car. Iím not so sure about that 5C charge rate. Iíve seen some batteries advertised as a 5C capable, but they arrive with a sticker saying 2C max.
Power
: Electric is absolutely faster than nitro. I don't care who modded the engine, there is just no comparison in a straight line and acceleration. However, on the track, nitros are just as fast. The reason I think you see slightly faster lap times from Pro drivers with their nitros is that they race nitros more than their electrics so they are more comfortable. There is only so much power you can use in off road. Electrics have instant torque and this is their advantage. Down a 150 straight away, itís a tossup.
With that said, most guys who race electrics 1/8s seriously do not have over powered cars and generally they are no faster top end wise than nitros. Guess it depends on the area.
Runtime: 15 minutes is easy with any setup in a buggy. 20 minutes requires a bit more knowledge of picking the right setup. I've completed 25 minute mains with no battery swap before. I havenít seen a 1/8 buggy go 20 minutes.
I like nitro and both are fun. I just prefer electric. Some guys love the noise and smoke while I don't really particularly care for it longer than a few minutes. RC racing in general is boring to spectators regardless if it is nitro or electric. However, when you are on the driver stand both are absolutely fun and challenging. Do what ever floats your boat. I enjoy racing with both nitros and electrics only. Some like Blondes, others like Redheads... I donít mind running with electrics. But I think they should be scored separately.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
Hyperion also offers good bang for buck if you are afraid of the Chinese packs.
I thought there were only 3 major factories producing lipo cells and they are all based in China

I think if you are a true RC enthusiast, you should have experience in both nitro and electric. Then you can develop your own opinion. I happen to like them both.
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
I thought there were only 3 major factories producing lipo cells and they are all based in China

I think if you are a true RC enthusiast, you should have experience in both nitro and electric. Then you can develop your own opinion. I happen to like them both.
There are only a handful of actual lipo manufacturers. Most are in China/Korea. Pretty much every one gets their cells from the same places. The difference is in the cell quality, matching, and construction.

I was just saying if you don't want the discount manufacturer stuff (a la Hobbycity, hobbypartz), Hyperion offers a good balance of customer service, quality construction, and reasonable prices. Instead of a $50 pack with zero customer service and suspect cell quality, you can buy Hyperion, Thunderpower, etc for $100 bucks and actually have a company stand behind their product. This is a lot cheaper than some other places who offer over rated rebadged hobbycity packs for $200 bucks.