R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default 1/8 buggy to start with

Ok, so im looking into racing in the 1/8 nitro off road division. ive looked at a few cars but ive only been able to find a few really good cars. i almost bought a 8ight.0 the other day but decided against it. i am looking for a car that is reliable, easy to repair, powerful and fast but not as expensive as say a losi 8ight 2.0 kit would cost me. Im lookin for a kit to build so i can put my own engine in it as kits are usually better than RTR's for racing. Anybody have any suggestions?? im looking around the 300-500$ price range for just the car alone. And even better, any engine suggestions to go along with it?? thanks
funpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Not sure what your price range but the 8ight isnt expensive if you look in the right areas check out the for sale thread theres a guy selling a new one for 350 shipped Transplant > Think thats his name.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Tech Regular

It is fairly close to your price range. $ 519 bucks!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tion-Buggy-Kit

This buggy is solid too.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Tires-Stickers
Old 08-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drs92

For the price D8 Hara. I built the regular D8 edition and the quality and finish was great for the price, just never got around to drive it
Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Tech Adept

I would say D8 hara aswell.For $399 at amain u cant go wrong with that.For the power plant i would strongly recommend nova P5xlt.Very strong,powerful and inexpensive engines
www.nitro-storm-racing.com
www.ocrraceway.com.au
Mohd Zailani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:32 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drs92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohd Zailani View Post
I would say D8 hara aswell.For $399 at amain u cant go wrong with that.For the power plant i would strongly recommend nova P5xlt.Very strong,powerful and inexpensive engines
Also with amain's $25 off coupon its super tough too beat
Old 08-19-2011, 02:34 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohd Zailani View Post
if your wanting to race it this would be a competitive package just add some good servos and you cant go wrong
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjayjay1 View Post
Not sure what your price range but the 8ight isnt expensive if you look in the right areas check out the for sale thread theres a guy selling a new one for 350 shipped Transplant > Think thats his name.
I have a sealed in box losi 2.0 buggy $350 if your interested
Old 08-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For a newb I would think the Losi would be better suited because I think the Losi parts last longer, are better quality, and the maintanance is easier. For engines I would suggest the Novarossi 3 port or maybe the P5 XLT just because they last forever and are very reliable. Don't skimp on the electrics as well, for steering get a hitec 7955.
kevinmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

For a newb I'd go with a car where parts are readily available because you're gonna break it, no matter what car you get. Most hobby shops stock parts for the Associated RC8, the Losi 8, and the Mugen. I personally have an RC8B, but I've owned a few OFNA buggies and a Jammin buggy. Construction on most buggies is the same. I would say that best bang for the buck is gonna be the Mugen. I know a lot of guys who race the Mugen. It's an outstanding buggy and parts are easy to come by. As far as powerplant goes, Nova engines are pretty awesome, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, O.S. engines are probably the easiest to tune. Last thing a newb wants is to mess around with trying to tune a cranky engine. My O.S. 21RG has had the same tune on it for 2 years. Only thing i've had to do to it is to either lean out or fatten up the high end depending on the temperature and humidty conditions. Anyways, my suggestion would be the RC8B or the Mugen, both are cheaper then the Losi and have the same performance.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

I've had losi and AE for a first timer the RC8B is the way to go! Picking the right engine makes a huge difference in how you drive your buggy you don't want one with a lot of snap on the low end, in my opinion you should go with a Nova BF or a Werks B6.
Slash 2wd, Xcelorin 17.5, ACE1313
4PK
RCnitroRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

Wink

id go for something in the thunder tiger range there pretty tuff and easy to get parts. it also depends on wether you wont to race it to size 21 engine is race legal. personally id stay away from any of the cheap brand like hsp there good for bashing. you always gotta keep in mind when buying any rc weather its easy to get replacement parts for i find hsp i gotta buy of internet as no hobby store around me stocks hasp parts. i like thunder tiger buggies there strong and fast i got the eb4 s3 the size 28 motor and it loud and quick. how ever i must admit i like brushless power with lipos no noise but seeing the speed makes up for it. i believe thunder tiger make brushless 1/8 th scale too
kforcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforcool View Post
id go for something in the thunder tiger range there pretty tuff and easy to get parts. it also depends on wether you wont to race it to size 21 engine is race legal. personally id stay away from any of the cheap brand like hsp there good for bashing. you always gotta keep in mind when buying any rc weather its easy to get replacement parts for i find hsp i gotta buy of internet as no hobby store around me stocks hasp parts. i like thunder tiger buggies there strong and fast i got the eb4 s3 the size 28 motor and it loud and quick. how ever i must admit i like brushless power with lipos no noise but seeing the speed makes up for it. i believe thunder tiger make brushless 1/8 th scale too
Sounds like he wants to race it, so a buggy with a .28 is out of the question. Also, I've never seen a hobby shop actually stock parts for the EB4. The only buggies I've seen them stock parts for are the Losi, Mugen, Associated, Kyosho, and Jammin. Stick with what your local hobby shop stocks parts for. Also, you don't want to have a buggy that nobody at your track has. Go to the local track and see what the guys there are running. You want to have something that others run so if you need help with setup and what not, help is readily available.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Docitup Send a message via Yahoo to Docitup

I got 4 Jammin buggies up for sale and it's fast as hell!!! Check out my post. Podium winner!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

If you have a bud or know someone that races get what he has. Racing with someone that has the same buggy you have is awesome because you never know what part your going to need, plus you can help each other on setups .
Slash 2wd, Xcelorin 17.5, ACE1313
4PK
RCnitroRC is offline   Reply With Quote