R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New Off Road Nitro RC- Under $400- Need Suggestions

Hi Im looking to get a new off road truggy or buggy. what are the best ones out there for under $400?
ezsoccer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Trugsta

If I were you I'd save my money for an extra couple of weeks and get the Losi 8T.2 RTR (Truggy)
it comes with basicly everything you need Great radio an reciever a starter box and has great parts support and is easy to bash or race with and has a ton of upgrae parts if you ever choose to race seriously..

Im sure others will be long with more imput so thats My .02.
A huge thanks to.
www.motorsaver.com (the absolute best filters and savers on the plannet).
Trugsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You don't get into nitro offroad with only $400, you also need to consider the upkeep as well as the initial cost... If it were me I'd wait a bit longer till you have more money.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Step number one: Double your wallet size.

Step number two: be prepaired to keep spending out of that double sized wallet.

Step number three: find a local track and tell the guys your new to nitro and need help tuning. they will teach you a ton.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drs92

With that you could get a hyper 7 black or some ofna rtr, or a thundertiger check amain! I think also a losi 810 with 25 off at amain would just fit in (be your best bet). Not the worlds best stuff, but I mean if your just in it for fun, as in driving in the backyard or parks why not ? Upgrade as things go, besides why drop $800 if you end up hating it or doesn't keep your interest. Just a thought
Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

is the losi 810 buggy good enough for racing at a local hobby shop?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Yeah..it's good enough, if your just starting out don't drop a bunch of money on a $$ racer, go with the Losi, learn..save some money and then get a full blown racer..
Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #8

I have a Mugen MBX6T truggy for saleand a durango DNX 408 with many extra's. Keep in mind that both are race rollers, no electronics, radio,or motor but if you would like to give me a call at 706-280-7455 i would be more than happy to go over some pricing on some things that I have. I have alot that we could piece together a good racer for you. If you need me just call me. My name is Ryan and am located in North, Ga. I might be able to help you out. I got a sponsor and to get rid of some stuff. I will give you decent pricing aswell. Just a thought man. - Ryan Bevil 706-280-7455 feel free
Beagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezsoccer7 View Post
Hi Im looking to get a new off road truggy or buggy. what are the best ones out there for under $400?
hahahahahahahaaha under $400 hahahahaha ,,,,, sorry couldnt resist.... Bud this is an expensive hobby. BEST and Under $400 is not possible.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

is the ofna lx2 better then the losi 810?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ruune Send a message via AIM to Ruune Send a message via Yahoo to Ruune

no.
Ruune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Is a very slightly used 8ight 2.0 rtr for $400 better than a 810? I found one, and I am kind of excited to get back into the hobby, again. Also the guy has a 8ight truggy too for the same price, do I want the buggy or the truggy????? What to do!!!!!! Sorry OP, but look around, you'll find a good deal.
vw addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 233 (99%+)

If you looking for just a kit...then that's possible, but not ready to run.
jonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Take it from me....I just got into the sport and decided to buy an ofna hyper 7 to race at a local track. Yes I took the cheap route and that route isnt so cheap. Here are a list of things I have purchased recently for both maintenace and upkeep:
fuel, grease, diff oils, shock oils, at least $100 or more
minor parts such as a-arms (which ive broken) , cnc steering knuckles (a must for the hyper 7) and bearings: $120
servos (the stock hyper 7 servos are junk plastic toy servos and upgrades are absolutely neccessary if u want to steer after the first wreck) $150
various wheels and tires: $150
m11 radio and reciever (used from rctech, stock was junk) $100
rechargable reciever battery: $30
Glow starter and glow plugs: $60
starter box and battery : $100
transponder for racing: 80 used
various other things : who knows

As you can see the sport can get really expensive really fast. Pace yourself save some money and get something that doesnt need so many initial upgrades to be a durable racer. Now I have a very capable car 500 dollars later but in hindsight it wasnt worth it I should have saved my money and got the losi. I have a friend of mine that got into the sport at the same time as me and had a bigger bankroll and got the losi 2.0 rtr w/ a starter box, glow starter, and various other things for 600 on ebay brand new. Also that came with a dx3s radio which is great for a beginner as it monitors temp. of the motor. But in the time we have been racing not only does his car handle better he hasnt replaced nearly the parts I have or spent nearly the money....

Save, research, and make wise decisions unless ur rich....

Last edited by NorcoPaul; 08-17-2011 at 08:47 PM.
NorcoPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcoPaul View Post
Take it from me....I just got into the sport and decided to buy an ofna hyper 7 to race at a local track. Yes I took the cheap route and that route isnt so cheap. Here are a list of things I have purchased recently for both maintenace and upkeep:
fuel, grease, diff oils, shock oils, at least $100 or more
minor parts such as a-arms (which ive broken) , cnc steering knuckles (a must for the hyper 7) and bearings: $120
servos (the stock hyper 7 servos are junk plastic toy servos and upgrades are absolutely neccessary if u want to steer after the first wreck) $150
various wheels and tires: $150
m11 radio and reciever (used from rctech, stock was junk) $100
rechargable reciever battery: $30
Glow starter and glow plugs: $60
starter box and battery : $100
transponder for racing: 80 used
various other things : who knows

As you can see the sport can get really expensive really fast. Pace yourself save some money and get something that doesnt need so many initial upgrades to be a durable racer. Now I have a very capable car 500 dollars later but in hindsight it wasnt worth it I should have saved my money and got the losi. I have a friend of mine that got into the sport at the same time as me and had a bigger bankroll and got the losi 2.0 rtr w/ a starter box, glow starter, and various other things for 600 on ebay brand new. Also that came with a dx3s radio which is great for a beginner as it monitors temp. of the motor. But in the time we have been racing not only does his car handle better he hasnt replaced nearly the parts I have or spent nearly the money....

Save, research, and make wise decisions unless ur rich....
+1 !

Good post, identical to my experience so far. Its hard to get past the excitement of getting something sooner rather than later but the $$$ will catch you in the end.
The A Train is offline   Reply With Quote