R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default What servo to use?

hey, i am fairly new to the rc world... i mean i have played with these things since i was a little kid but i never really thought about fixing them or getting anything more than a Walmart special until about 2 yeas ago. I got myself a "Redcat Volcano SV" it is a 1/10 scale nitro truck with 4x4 and i enjoyed playing around with it but not long after i got it i wrecked the carb servo by splashing through a monster puddle (didn't mean to i promise) not long after that i had to go back to school and haven't had time or money to get it going again.

Now i am back in canada and i have been working for a little while which means i can finally get this thing going again. i was looking it over the other day and for what ever reason my steering servo won't work now either... before you think i am a total fool let me tell you that yes i did put fresh batteries in and i can get power from them to the on off switch and on to the receiver and out the other side but the servo's are dead.

i was planning on upgrading the servo's anyways because i plan on playing around with this thing this fall and maybe on some ice in the winter and the plastic just won't hold up, so i was hoping you guys could help me find a good metal gear servo at a reasonable price.
mattickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The only servo I use is Savox, reliable, tough and inexpensive, give it a try:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ium-Gear-Servo
Old 08-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Trugsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkustoms View Post
The only servo I use is Savox, reliable, tough and inexpensive, give it a try:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ium-Gear-Servo
+1.
Savox are great and they are water resistant (not water proof).

Traxxas has some water proof servos wich may be better for snow/ice.
but its not too difficult to water proof any servo you buy theres video tutorials on youtube..
A huge thanks to.
www.motorsaver.com (the absolute best filters and savers on the plannet).
Trugsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

good to know, but how can a guy tell if this servo will work with the receiver and everything i already have? i guess i could contact the guys at Redcat and ask them... they seem to be quick to respond. also i noticed that it says this servo is more of a steering servo, would you say it is good for carb use as well?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
SDR
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Check in our for sale section here on the forum. I've found pretty good deals on servos. As killerkustoms said, I run Savox servos too. I run them in both of my 1/8 scale race truggy's. Have had no issues with them. For the money, they are hard to beat. I'd use the 1256 up front for steering and the 1258 on the throttle. Just make sure you set your end points (total travel) on the servos otherwise you'll strip out servo arms/horns and wear the servo out quicker.
SDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

how does a guy set his end points?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Most upgraded transmitters have this feature. A few rtr's do also.

It will be in your transmitter manual. It limits how far to the left and right the servo will travel.

Better servos can turn more than the items that they are hooked to; which causes a problem.
Proudly using: Spektrum DX4R, Viper-RC Electronics, Reedy Batteries, & Pro-Line
Cancer Sucks
willbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

ahhh, got ya.

quick question for ya, why would a guy want to use a 1258 to run his carb and a 1256 for steering?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
SDR
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattickus View Post
ahhh, got ya.

quick question for ya, why would a guy want to use a 1258 to run his carb and a 1256 for steering?
You want the strongest servo on your steering, the 1256 (277 in/oz), because you've got a monster truck with big tires. The 1258 (167 in/oz) goes on the throttle. It doesn't take near as much force to move a carb slide valve as it does to turn the truck. Plus, the 1258 is like .08 secs fast compared to the slower 1256 at .17 secs. Faster goes on the throttle for quicker motor response.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

i suppose that would be the smart thing to do...
Old 08-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Anything that is NOT made by JR! Savox are great servos for the prices or try and get a traxxas waterproof servo from a slash.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Those 2 savox servos are way overkill for your little truck. Get you some Traxxas water proof servos since you will be bashing.
RePeTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
SDR
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePeTe View Post
Those 2 savox servos are way overkill for your little truck. Get you some Traxxas water proof servos since you will be bashing.
You can look at the Traxxas 2075 servo's. They are fairly strong. I used them in my "little TMaxx". My "little 1/10 scale" was the same size as my 1/8 scale truggy's. Besides, the TMaxx had bigger tires for it being such a "little truck".

Get what you can afford. If you can afford the Savox then thats what I'd buy. They will last a long time and you can continue to use them in your other vehicles if you upgrade up.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR View Post
You can look at the Traxxas 2075 servo's. They are fairly strong. I used them in my "little TMaxx". My "little 1/10 scale" was the same size as my 1/8 scale truggy's. Besides, the TMaxx had bigger tires for it being such a "little truck".

Get what you can afford. If you can afford the Savox then thats what I'd buy. They will last a long time and you can continue to use them in your other vehicles if you upgrade up.
the volcano is not a tmaxx. IT IS SMALLER, i got one for free awhile back and its nothing like a tmaxx.
RePeTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 AM   #15
SDR
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePeTe View Post
the volcano is not a tmaxx. IT IS SMALLER, i got one for free awhile back and its nothing like a tmaxx.
Oh ok. I was just going off the description of a 1/10th scale monster truck. Which is what a TMaxx is. So, the Volcano is more like a 1/10th jacked up 4x4 and not a monster truck.