R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Buggy because it is a more challenge to drive and you can really see who the fast guys are. Truggy is easier and fun to drive that is why I run two classes, but in the end the buggy class is still the bread and butter of the two. This is why there is a buggy worlds race but no truggy worlds race....
2012 DRC Winter Series Inter. Truggy Champ*
Daryl Wright aka "thefastblackman"
Teccmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

good question I have run both for the season and the cost to run two classes is getting a bit much and not to mention the demand I just ran a abig event recently and had both classes back to back so its was a rush so the buggy suffered abit due to being a little unprepared so I have to go back to the one class probably soon, as for truggy its alot easier to drive and if set up correctly you will be just as fast in a truggy than a buggy, the costs are probably more as arms are longer which are then more proned to break, the costs of tires are a killer a full set is around $70us plus postage but dont be disheartend as truggy is so much fun in one ways as much as a buggy as you will find that its not as demanding as a buggy, as for buggy its takes abit more skill to drive it to a high level compared to the truggy not as expensive to run I have never broke an arm on my buggy also the tank is 125ml so you will use less fuel (also depends on engine) maybe see if you can get a ride of a buggy and truggy and see what you like and decide from there all the best!
cheers
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
good question I have run both for the season and the cost to run two classes is getting a bit much and not to mention the demand I just ran a abig event recently and had both classes back to back so its was a rush so the buggy suffered abit due to being a little unprepared so I have to go back to the one class probably soon, as for truggy its alot easier to drive and if set up correctly you will be just as fast in a truggy than a buggy, the costs are probably more as arms are longer which are then more proned to break, the costs of tires are a killer a full set is around $70us plus postage but dont be disheartend as truggy is so much fun in one ways as much as a buggy as you will find that its not as demanding as a buggy, as for buggy its takes abit more skill to drive it to a high level compared to the truggy not as expensive to run I have never broke an arm on my buggy also the tank is 125ml so you will use less fuel (also depends on engine) maybe see if you can get a ride of a buggy and truggy and see what you like and decide from there all the best!
cheers
Thats a long sentence, heres some .................................................. ..................................................

Anyways. Id chose buggy any day. I love truggy but its more of a subclass, buggy is still the "real" class where all the big international races are.
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:13 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
IMO - truggies look cooler, but buggies are faster and more challenging to drive.
It all comes down to what track you race on. In USA you have smooth tracks with not so many bumps and in such conditions buggy will be faster. However, at our national races it is very rare that buggy class is faster. Usually truggies are able to do 2-4 laps more than a buggy in a 30min final.

I started with the truggy but now after 3 seasons I'll probably buy a buggy because it's more challenging which is good for me.
I would recommend a truggy if you're new to the hobby. It's easier to drive, easier to setup and is much more forgiving.

As for the tires, I've seen such a statement: buggy tires wear faster but are cheaper than truggy tires. In terms of costs both are the same but with the buggy you use fresh tires more often (and you're able to have more threads).

It is not based on my experience. This is what I've heard. Would you agree with it?
Donat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For the amount of tires I can afford to have stocked, I saw no difference in wear between buggy and truggy. Over here a set of truggy tires cost around 500dkr. Buggy tires are 250dkr. It's simple maths IMO.

Add to that you have less clutch and driveline wear, and bearings last longer as well.

Plus, buggy is just more challenging.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah, but keep in mind, he's saying you need several sets of tires for different tracks and conditions. So, say three sets for starters - you could buy an engine for that...

And as for being able to "push" one or the other harder. I think with a buggy you're pushing more your own ability, because, since the buggy is more agile and quick, you'll find YOUR limits by pushing before you find the limits of the car. With a truggy, it's easier to drive, so eventually your limits and those of the car are more closely aligned, so then you're just pushing the car. Both are fun, but a buggy is more challenging to drive. Which for me anyway means more fun...

I also think truggy requires more set-up. A good all-round setup for buggy seemed to work great for me on different tracks.. Whereas with truggy different tracks require changes moreso than with a buggy... I know others have said the opposite, but I found it to be that way.. Truggies - though cooler looking - are just oafier to drive, so you have to maximize the setup to get the most out of them on a given track.. My theory anyway...

Also, don't forget, as mentioned before, if your local track has only a handful of truggy drivers and more buggies(as most do..), then I'd go with buggy. No point in investing in a race truggy if you end up only racing against 2-3 other guys.. Or none..
Actually I'm not saying you need lots of tires. I have 2 sets, Grid Irons and City Blocks. One or the other works perfectly at every track i've run this year.. Buggy On the other hand I have about 8 sets and I have run into not having the right ones.. And, I have every popular tire out there for buggy.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac223 View Post
Truggy, but yet I'm just a back yard basher. I would go buggy but what I hear from people, they are more for racing not for bashing.
Honestly a Good truggy is made for racing also. Monster Trucks are made to bash..
Old 08-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yeah, but keep in mind, he's saying you need several sets of tires for different tracks and conditions. So, say three sets for starters - you could buy an engine for that...

And as for being able to "push" one or the other harder. I think with a buggy you're pushing more your own ability, because, since the buggy is more agile and quick, you'll find YOUR limits by pushing before you find the limits of the car. With a truggy, it's easier to drive, so eventually your limits and those of the car are more closely aligned, so then you're just pushing the car. Both are fun, but a buggy is more challenging to drive. Which for me anyway means more fun...

I also think truggy requires more set-up. A good all-round setup for buggy seemed to work great for me on different tracks.. Whereas with truggy different tracks require changes moreso than with a buggy... I know others have said the opposite, but I found it to be that way.. Truggies - though cooler looking - are just oafier to drive, so you have to maximize the setup to get the most out of them on a given track.. My theory anyway...

Also, don't forget, as mentioned before, if your local track has only a handful of truggy drivers and more buggies(as most do..), then I'd go with buggy. No point in investing in a race truggy if you end up only racing against 2-3 other guys.. Or none..
Your comments are confusing. In one statement you say the buggy takes more skill to drive yet you say a truggy is harder to set up..

IMO the harder to set up vehicle is the harder to drive vehicle. If it was easier to set up it should be easier to drive..
Old 08-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

TRUGGY

I was a diehard nitro buggy guy for years. I had a couple truggies but never kept them long because running 2 nitro classes is tough work. Last year though I bought a truggy and sold my buggy because my pitman ran buggy too and it was easier to work together when we ran different classes.

I like the truggy better. It handles so much better then a buggy. Rough track? No problem. Low traction? Not with a truggy. With a truggy I dont have to worry about the setup or track conditions I just throw it down and RACE it.

Yes truggy tires are more expensive but I do feel like they last a bit longer. Plus the traction is so much better with a truggy you may be able to use tires longer and that last longer then what you might run on a buggy.

If your into fine tuning your setup or finding that line around the rough parts of the track then you might be a buggy guy. If you just wanna throw it down and squeeze the trigger then you might be a truggy guy. Ive got both now truggy and e-buggy and I have way more fun driving the truggy.

PS. My truggy is a box stock RC8TCE = DIALED
Old 08-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Buggy. A great buugy driver can wheel a truggy fast to. However a great truggy driver will struggle when driving a buggy. "if such driver only drove one class then went to two."

I started racing truggy, i got in some A-Mains with it. I switched to buggy 3 months ago and love it. However guys who i normally beat in truggy beat me in buggy. Now i am getting more used to it i am getting alot better with it. Buggies are more setup sensitive and truggies are able to get away with having an off setup more. Truggies kinda drive themselfs, there wide and long and just seam to soak up crashes and end up wheels down.

since going to buggy i doubt i will ever race truggy again. I love buggy to much and dont really miss truggy. expesailly when i see the start of a truggy race and they all drive over each other like a demo derby.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

buggy because it takes more precise driving to be fast with it, don't get me wrong I love truggy..But buggy is where it's at for me
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #27
Tech Adept

When they start making buggy bodies and wings(wider) for truggies I would get a truggy.
mk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
Tech Prophet

oh man truggy is so much funner to drive, as nitro or electric than buggy if you ask me coming from 1/8 buggy .

Also if you dont race every weekend truggy is, good to run since for one you dont need super skills to be competive compared to buggy.

buggy to me to be competive at least you need to race every weekend to be good.

as for tires even know truggy tires cost more boy they do last longer so its a plus .

truggys are a lot easier to setup also.

i see most people that race in cali like buggy more no suprise there lol.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Trugsta

I chose a truggy because the buggy class at my track is super serious and super competitive.
and I didnt want to get in the way.
Truggy seemed to be alittle less serious and an awsome fun class to drive in.
The competition is still there But its a bit less serious..

Plus if I ever feel like bashing wich Is verry rare I can bash the truggy without worrying too much about breaking anything..
A huge thanks to.
www.motorsaver.com (the absolute best filters and savers on the plannet).
Trugsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Buggy for me.

In the last few races i had faster lap time time with my truggy but if i had to choose i would pick the buggy.
The tracks i race on get blown out and really bumpy at the end of the day, so a truggy can take the bumps and keep their line better, which makes for a faster lap time.