R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default bearing care

So this is for all of the people that actually pull the seals and clean then relube. I am more interested in diff and wheel bearings not clutch bearings. What lube is everyone using? I have been using mobil 1 bearing grease, the same stuff I use to build my diffs for the orings. I am just curious as to what people use. I have tried to use lighter weight stuff, even oil, but have not been happy with the results.
Hoby
hobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

i heard sand works the best , havent been brave enough to try but maybe you will

heat and full synthetic lube or slick 50 type product
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

we use Lucas bearing stablizer and bi-tron on our bearings
Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I use a old oil, i dont even know name or brand but its friction reducer and for cleaning and oiling it works great.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

For standard steel bearings, use a high quality grease like Mobil 1.

For ceramics, steer clear of greases and use a light oil.
lknracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Dont use grease, it's too thick for these sizes of bearings. use oil for sure, 1 drop only. Too much oil creates a fluid resistance.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Grease is preferred on the steel bearings (and in fact is what comes in them to begin with). A bit thicker and more resistance when new or newly greased, but after a couple runs they loosen up nicely. Longer lasting lubrication.

Clutch bearings is a different story. Ideally you want to de-grease/blow out and lube with a light oil to avoid grease blowing out in your clutch and making your shoes slip, creating an ugly heated situation. If you oil, however, your steel bearings won't last as long, and will need to be re-lubed.

For CERAMIC bearings, use a light oil. They last 5x as long, because they have self lubricating properties, and light oil goes ALOT longer in ceramics than in standard steel.
lknracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Boca bearings has a full line of stuff needed for doing just the job your speaking of. I would recommend going with the yellow ceramic bearings for your buggy or truggy. They will last the whole year with out any maintenance require other than wiping them clean every now and then.
www.bocabearings.com
Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to marcel p

i use shimano bearing grease. for bikes
realy light grease no big drag but keeps the dirt out great
finish line has almost the same stuff.
marcel p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobdog View Post
So this is for all of the people that actually pull the seals and clean then relube. I am more interested in diff and wheel bearings not clutch bearings. What lube is everyone using? I have been using mobil 1 bearing grease, the same stuff I use to build my diffs for the orings. I am just curious as to what people use. I have tried to use lighter weight stuff, even oil, but have not been happy with the results.
I do use oil and have had success. 3n1 is an easy choice. recently been experimenting with a synthetic compressor oil. the key with oiling is once you go down that path constant application is necessary. you cant just lube and forget it, that scenario is more an application for grease. I would also avoid any detergent oils like motor oil, they suspend dirt particles and make for a gunky mess. the idea is a constant supply of fresh oil flushing out the dirt.

depending on conditions I will oil the wheel hubs, after practice and before the mains. I also oil them immediately after washing the car. the diffs and pinion bearings get oiled when doing normal diff maintainence. mugens' come equipped with an oiling hole at the hubs so this process is easier than others but not beyond modifying another brands hubs with such a hole and setscrew to aid lubrication. I also remove and discard the seals in the inner side of the bearings to aid getting oil in them. my regular lubing schedule involves no dis-assembly or cleaning apart from a doing it every few months or so if things are getting real gunky. but at that point I am replacing cvd pins and the like, so things are apart already.

I do feel oiling is the best way, providing diligence. I generally go 6-8 months of solid racing on one set of bearings. mind you thats only wheel and pinion bearings and only because some start to get sloppy. diff bearings can last the life of the car. I have ocasionaly have seized rear outer hub bearings when I have gotten lazy with my oiling. rears do need more attention/oil than fronts in my experience. The main thing is my drive-train spins very free, which was the main reason I pursued oiling in the first place.

Give oil another try, if you can stay on top a frequent lubing schedule I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote