Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New to Nitro and few hrs in got probs... >

New to Nitro and few hrs in got probs...

New to Nitro and few hrs in got probs...

Old 08-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New to Nitro and few hrs in got probs...

Hi everyone. I've tried some forums but noone has even replied or tried to help. I bought a Redcat Hurricane XTR and got to my 3rd tank, doing figure 8's etc and went up the track and turned around and it seemed to rev higer than normal.

Now it may spin tires a little starting then seems like the clutch is slipping. I called redcat they basically listened to the rant and said have a nice day.

They told me to inspect the clutch, I did and it is wore a little but for being 1 day old?? I have a new set coming but I really think my center Diff is the problem and ofcourse there are none available.

How would I know on the bench if my diff's are gone... all 3 are the same front/rear/center. and I think the center may be bad but doesn't seem to skip or have any odd noises, just revs high.

All ideas or suggestions are appreciated
Old 08-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Tech Rookie

does your's have adjustment for the tranny ? did you check gears in the tranny ? spur gear ?

i do not know nothing about this model, but 1 day and having isssues, id likely send it back.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know much about that buggy but it sounds like a clutch or flywheel issue. Tear it down and make sure clutch nut is tight. Sorry I can't be more help than that.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eric_hawkins_rc
I don't know much about that buggy but it sounds like a clutch or flywheel issue. Tear it down and make sure clutch nut is tight. Sorry I can't be more help than that.
Thats Exactly what I was thinking.
the clutch nut has come loose.
also add a drop of blue locktight to the nut to insure it dosent come loose again..

could be wrong but this is most likley whats going on.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It sounds like you just may have a high idle. Once your engine breaks in it needs to be re-tuned. If your wheels are spinning make sure your idle and tune are correct as well as checking your clutch.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks you guys, your awesome. Best forum yet!!

Ok I took the clutch off and there is wear, about a playing card thick of an edge on the inside by the flywheel. Called place where i bought it and they SOLD me a set of clutches.

I should have them today but they arn't gone, not by looking at pics of new vs worn out. I'll check the nut on the output shaft of the motor.

I was thinking it may be diff problem but if it were diff it probably wouldn't move at all. When I put in on front wheels and turn both back it doesn't slip same with front.

Redcat Racing Tech and customer service are no help, they listened to my rant and said have a nice day. If I can't get this fixed today, then I'm calling the store where I got it and tell them to give me an HPI and stick this up their u know what. Atleast with HPI I can buy parts anywhere.

Thanks again for your help.

**EDIT** Well I think it may be the center diff. If i hold the front tires and move the back the front don't grab at all same with the back...I can move them oppisite ways too. put it on the floor and hold the spur gear and seems to hold, it does skip a little sometimes, how is it supposed to act?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Sounds like one of the input shafts is loose. Follow the driveshaft from your center diff to the front/ rear diff. It should slide into a diff cup. The diff cup has a set-screw that secures it to the diff pinion. When this setscrew is loose, the shaft will turn and not spin the associated diff. Pull it out, find the flat spot on the pinion, add some blue loctite and tighten it down.

If that's not it, it could be as simple as one of the wheels not being tightened all the way down or not being connected to the shaft somehow (roll pin, or spun hex).

Diffs are pretty tough and not likely to be the cause of any problem.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Initiate

We replaced the clutch and bell. Made things worse. Its at the shop where I got it and they don't know what's wrong either.

She moved but over rev, new clutch hardly moves and revs. Sound like a gear problem I think.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Sounds like maybe the flywheel is slipping. Not spinning fast enough for the clutch to fully engage.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Well all fixed. Pin came lose in front dog bone which was catching on the alun piece the shocks mount to, caused big trouble. 3 new diffs, metal clutch shoes, new bell. All free thanks to the good people at RC PRO .
Old 08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sorry to hear your first nitro experience was a bad one! Glad you got it all figured out though.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks mate. Anyone know a good way to fix the pins in the dog bones? One is lose which caused all my problems.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok here is a good fix.

Find a stright pick out of a pick set(good ones, not cheapies) and wack that sucker in. Be a really tight fit but won't ever come out. If it does I'll give my car away!! Use dremel and cut ends off. leave long so u can make some test fits before u trim off the end for proper length!

Well thats my fix! hope it helps someone...