R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Project: Frankensport (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/540028-project-frankensport.html)

ChrisTech 08-08-2011 02:33 PM

Project: Frankensport

2 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone! I got bored earlier and decided to dig through my spare parts box to see if I could make a little something something to entertain myself with. I have just way too many spare parts to be quite honest and the resulting product mostly resembles a Traxxas Nitro Sport/Rustler (because of the chassis, arms, and Magnum transmission) with a few parts snagged from a Revo 3.3 since it's used the least of all my other kits. The radio gear is just some good ole TRX 2.4GHz, nothing fancy but hey Frankenstein didn't get solid gold bolts for his neck, now did he? The screws holding the chassis together and manifold to the engine on are ones I stripped years ago from an old Apple Color Laser Writer (A ~210lb behemoth of a printer). The TPI on the screws is the same as the machine screws else where on the truck, I wouldn't use them to mount the engine, but they do the trick for the low stress areas.

The engine is a TRX 2.5 that I rebuilt with parts from the SPB (new acronym? SPB, spare parts box.) :nod: The compression seems adequate, though I won't be sure 'til I have some time to go to my LHS and get some fuel to try starting up with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good clean start. And it better! I spent a good hour and a half finding the parts and cleaning them up. The pipe is held to the chassis with a wire coat hanger.

Oh and yes I know the wiring situation is absolutely horrendous, I ran out of patience towards the end of assembling it. ;) And for those of you wondering, I ran extra fuel line from the tank, through the rear shock tower, and to the carb because I didn't have any heat resistant tubing to cover the line with if I was to run it around the engine head.

Let me know what you think, I know it's nothing of an achievement, but I figured I'd share just for the hell of it! More pictures to come when I have the patience for scaling down pictures in Photoshop.. hahahah

Trugsta 08-08-2011 05:25 PM

I like it.

Ive built a few frankinstiens myself in the past and had great fun building and driving them.
Only one thing I can pick on your Franky is I would secure that On/Off switch somwhere solid there woud be nothing worse after all your effort for the switch to flip and you have a run away frank on your hands..:weird:

ChrisTech 08-08-2011 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Trugsta (Post 9499198)
Ive built a few frankinstiens myself in the past and had great fun building and driving them.
Only one thing I can pick on your Franky is I would secure that On/Off switch somwhere solid there woud be nothing worse after all your effort for the switch to flip and you have a run away frank on your hands..:weird:

That's a fantastic point! Thank you for pointing that out. I probably would've secured it at some point, but it's better to have that at the front of my mind and I thank you a million for that. From the battery to the RX plug I'm gonna do something along the lines of getting a hump pack so I can cover the battery and keep it off the edges of it's little shelf back there, or maybe mount it else where and eliminate the shelf all together. I really gotta clean up the wiring and the EZ-Start harness, probably gonna mount the switch to the chassis or shock tower. Given the chance and the parts I'd replace the steering setup with a bell crank setup, but the NSport setup is doing alright the way it is. :)

Madbrad 08-08-2011 08:16 PM

Im not familiar with the chassis you used but was wondering if you have breaks? Nice job on being creative.

ChrisTech 08-09-2011 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Madbrad (Post 9500059)
Im not familiar with the chassis you used but was wondering if you have breaks? Nice job on being creative.

Thanks man! :) It's a Traxxas chassis, Rustler/Nitro Sport type. It's a 'double deck' composite chassis with a T6 aluminum plate from the center, back.

EDIT: And yes I do have brakes, they're quite effective in fact. They lock the wheels right up going in, and release instantly when coming out. I was surprised I found a disc that fit actually. The thing was buried at the bottom of a box of screws. hahaha

MCR82 08-09-2011 03:19 AM

Nice effort mate, well done..

ChrisTech 08-09-2011 10:29 AM

More pictures going up once I locate the SD card for my camera that I JUST HAD IN FRONT OF ME! Craaaappppp. >_<