Wiki Posts
Search

Straight Centre Drive-train VS Centred Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John.
Would it be fair to say a car like the Serpent 811 is somewhere in the middle of these two groups? Not sure. Maybe more towards the narrow group.
I think this is a good comparison... Great happy medium from a driveline perspective. 50% wide and 50% narrow
Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Mp9 drive train

http://youtu.be/uks1XeYf-14
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by transplantlife
Wow man.... Gotta love that!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by John.
Great replies guys.

I know angled requires more maintenance. What I was after was more about whether you feel a straight centre drive-train gives the car a more balanced feel especially on power when twist force is applied. Not sure if I'm making sense. Do you think the inertia of the centre drive-train when power is constantly being applied on and off matters when it's straight or angled, or rear is straight and front is really angled? Is it less important than weight balance?

I agree to an extent that great steerer's can win with most cars. But is it a coincidence that the last what? 10 WC's and most major big races have been won with buggy's that have an extremely straight centre drive-line as opposed to going for a more "modern" everything narrow and in the centre with angled drive-train design? I don't know, maybe it doesn't matter. But even recently at the Euros I noticed again Mugen and Kysho dominating, both with extremely straight centre drive-trains.

Also Serpent being a Dutch European brand I was surprised to see hardly no presence at the Euros this year. I had a good look at a Serpent recently, and it really is a racers car. So many little things that other manufacturers don't do. I'm very surprised (other than Billy) that the Cobra hasn't had more success. Maybe not enough racing it? Or not enough talent racing it? Not sure.

On the Xray I think there are a lot more cars with straighter centre drive-trains. I like how Xray persist with the being "made in Europe" and their quality of parts. I just don't like their design. Seems like everything was an afterthought or modification. Not having a dig at their quality, just their design. Maybe that's why they come out with a new kit every year, constantly trying to make it work.

Once again thanks to anyone who has added to this discussion. It's great to read racers opinions on this and what they feel is more important. It's a topic that I think is the main fundamental difference between buggies. You have in the one corner the Losi narrow central types (Agama, JQ etc) and in the other corner the Kyosho wide straight drive-train types (Mugen, Associated, HB etc).

Would it be fair to say a car like the Serpent 811 is somewhere in the middle of these two groups? Not sure. Maybe more towards the narrow group.

il be honest with you the only way, you would be able to notice the diffrence performance wise straight vs angle axles is if your a dam good driver lol.

i mean yes it would make some sense that a straight line axle whould give more of a direct power feel but its hard to tell inless your a pro.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

HLY CRAP that's pretty free!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Wow that is super smooth. Would probably spin forever with the inertia of some tyres.

Remind's me of a video someone on here posted of their 811 where he spun the tyres with his hands and the drive-train went forever. I can't find it. I think it might have been posted in the Serpent thread.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:36 AM
Tech Regular

The dive-line on my two JQ cars are just as free as that. Must be positive for the handling and fuel efficiency