R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Night shift and RC racing?

I was wondering how many of you work nights and still manage to race on the weekends. Especially some fo the bigger 2-3 day races?

I am asking because about 4 weeks ago I got moved to nights 6pm-6am 4 days a week, weekends off. But, since going to this shift I can't seem to adjust my sleep patterns from my work schedule. Hence making it virtually impossible to race. Hence I have cancelled my plans to attend 3 fairly large races, for me at least. Mo State Series, St. Louis, Byrons Nitro Challenge, St. Louis, and RC Pro Series in Gravette, Ar..

Any info will be welcome, and I hope I can figure something out. Otherwise I might as well sell my stuff..
Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
Tech Adept

ive been working the night shift for the last 4 years. 4 pm to 4:30 am mon thru thursday. to switch my schedule, after work on friday morning i usually take a 3 to 4 hour nap. this gets me up around 10 am and i can function properly untill 9 or 10 pm. on sundays to get ready for the work week again i will catch a 1 or 2 hour nap in the early evening preferably.sometimes its earlier sometimes its 9 pm, but its enough to keep me awake to reset mr schedule to get back to work. I am lucky enough to have a wife and kids who put up with me needing a nap or being a little owly from a lack of sleep.
hope this helps Mark
markkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
Tech Prophet

i whould just club race man its a lot less stress anyways before you sell your stuff.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For me it took a really long time to adjust to working night shift, took me something like 4 to 6months to adjust. Establishing a good sleep pattern is very important. I am glad I do not work this shift, I was always moody
Old 08-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I work night shift and prefer that for racing. Always have weekends off so i have to take fewer vaca days for the bigger races. Next month i switch to day shift and its already going to cause problems due to weekends as i am the track director and run the races.
RePeTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i whould just club race man its a lot less stress anyways before you sell your stuff.
There isn't a club with in 100 miles of me anymore.. Local guy has races about every 4-6 weeks, but that's not enough to stay sharp..
Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkris View Post
ive been working the night shift for the last 4 years. 4 pm to 4:30 am mon thru thursday. to switch my schedule, after work on friday morning i usually take a 3 to 4 hour nap. this gets me up around 10 am and i can function properly untill 9 or 10 pm. on sundays to get ready for the work week again i will catch a 1 or 2 hour nap in the early evening preferably.sometimes its earlier sometimes its 9 pm, but its enough to keep me awake to reset mr schedule to get back to work. I am lucky enough to have a wife and kids who put up with me needing a nap or being a little owly from a lack of sleep.
hope this helps Mark
I realize I've jsut switched, so I shoudl probably give it more time, but I am really upset at missing these 3 races.. There is an outside chance I could maybe get something adjusted to where I can make the Byrons challenge.. BTW I am single and while it makes working the shift a little easier, I think it might make the need to sleep at certain times that much harder.. This is the 2nd time in my life I've had to work nights, and I don't like it much more then I did then. Difference is I was the boss then..
Old 08-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Tech Adept

atleast you got weekends off! i work 6pm to 6am also, supposed to be every other weekend off. but this place sucks so damn bad everyone is quitting. so they make us do mandatory overtime for all these people they are short, its bs

try getting in a pattern with one night off at a time. it sucks!!!
FormulaOfSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaOfSpeed View Post
atleast you got weekends off! i work 6pm to 6am also, supposed to be every other weekend off. but this place sucks so damn bad everyone is quitting. so they make us do mandatory overtime for all these people they are short, its bs

try getting in a pattern with one night off at a time. it sucks!!!
Tha would suck.. FYI people that have been with this company for 15+ years are quiting. And I am considering doing the same..
Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyM View Post
Tha would suck.. FYI people that have been with this company for 15+ years are quiting. And I am considering doing the same..
damn, that's exactly whats happening at my job. you don't work at graphic packaging do you? haha. but ya, one was a supervisor thats been there over 20 years

and same here. im payin off my loans and im gettin out. paid off my truck, now just gotta pay off my quad

im 22, i dont wanna be stuck in this crap for the next 20 years,lol
FormulaOfSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaOfSpeed View Post
damn, that's exactly whats happening at my job. you don't work at graphic packaging do you? haha. but ya, one was a supervisor thats been there over 20 years

and same here. im payin off my loans and im gettin out. paid off my truck, now just gotta pay off my quad

im 22, i dont wanna be stuck in this crap for the next 20 years,lol
Nope I work in a machine shop. I thought when I started that since everyone had worked there for like 10+ years it would eb a really good place to work, but not that those same people are getting out I'm rethinking this theory..
Old 08-08-2011, 11:51 PM   #12
Tech Addict

It may take you some time to adjust since you just started nights a month or so ago. I have been working 12 hr rotating shifts for 25 yrs now and 2 weekends off, and 2 on. I take vacation days fro the weekends I work to go racing. On the weekends that I'm on nightwork I get done 6a , go home, eat, get stuff packed up and race until 8p. I haven't had many problems, but shiftwork affects people in different ways. Some people plain and simple can't do it, no fault of there own , there body just won't allow it and shut down. But give it more time and try different sleep patterns to see if that helps. Stay away from greasy foods late nite.
purple rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I work 7pm to 7am on a rotating shift. Every other weekend. We are a printing company. There are several days I work, go home catch a power nap and go race. Then head to work. Iron man R/C!!
Jeauxkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:34 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Man I work from 10 pm to 6 am for over a year now and sleeping maybe 6 hours a day. The only good thing is here my local track is open Thursday and Fridays and does happen to be my days off. Happy to say that on the process of getting a new job and no more nights.
endy0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Night shifts always a tough one. I used to do it for a few years at my old job. It seemed like some people on my shift enjoyed it, others couldn't get a good sleep schedule going. I didn't mind and found that when the weekend came I did what someone else mentioned and just took a small nap in the mor ing to get me through fri...sat and sun would be normal. Good luck with the adjustment!
TLR 22 3.0
Otis_Losi is offline   Reply With Quote