R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
Isn't misleading to tell someone they can get 7-8 gallons through it when you have no 1st experience? Then say we are abusing it thats why it is getting only 3-4 gallons through it. Anyone who think RTR engine or servo's will last are out of there mind. Stock engine is decent engine for the price of it no was saying it was POS.

OS v-spec change there rod because of the stress of break in and high performance. But many of your high end motors change the rods out early in life.
Thanks guys.

Well why couldn't you get 8 gollens out of a stock motor? I understand what you guys are saying and appreciate your out put.

When I had my xxl I had got almost 13+ gallons threw the stock motor and my servos. Now why is it I can get 12+ gallons threw my xxls motor and servos but not threw the sc8?

My last question for you guys is,what motor and servos do you guys recommended? I'm looking to spend no more than 400$$ maby less. What do you guys think of the
novarossi. 28 7tt? I'm not a fan of Picco or there motors. Sure they make alot of power but to me there junk. I had a Picco.26 in my rusty and had nothing but problems with it. Yes I know how to tune the motor never went over 240$ and had plenty of smoke. It just had to many leaks. Not air leaks fuel leaks.

Thanks to everyone who had helped and your guys output.
doug e fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It is just way too optimistic to expect that much life out of the stock motor, I think I explained the reasons why earlier. If you are running around the yard, don't care when it dies, you might get a little more than 4 gallons through it. Like I said, mine had 4 1/2+ through it, still ran, but was hard to keep running past the 3/4 tank mark. I'm telling you this to not get your hopes up, I've seen it with my own eyes. By the way, the most temp I ever saw on that motor was 252 degrees on a 90 degree day, and was usually around 230-240.

And I never said it was a POS. In fact, I bought 3 more of the Thunder Tiger 9472's, PRO .28 B-R. Same motor, without the rotostart and a nice composite carb. For a $100-$125, good motor for the price. I think just a little tighter pinch out of the box, which I would guess Associated bought a bunch of piston and sleeves that weren't quite to specs to assemble these RTR's. Lot easier for the RTR wand starter to turn them over if they didn't have the tight pinch.

The 9472 ran good enough to win this 15 minute main--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feC90FLsm-A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqtxXsbQg6Q

So, the motor isn't a POS, I just don't expect it to last forever--

Here is video from last weekend of 3 of them. The Blue and Silver has a rebuilt stock motor, The Red and Silver has a .28 RB with several gallons through it but plenty rich, and mine(Red, Blue and Silver) has a O'Donnell SS .21 in it, broken in but still adjusted rich and idled up a bit yet with a gallon + through it now. If you watch all 3 videos(one clip broke up into 3 parts), you will see the stocker die when trying to fuel it after a run. Normal for a tired motor. The last clip, all 3 are on the track together, not a whole lot of difference in power or speed--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls5xEKubT9E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIgogg2NjKE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMjIh0Gntro

So again, good luck to you, prove me wrong, but I just want you to not expect more out of a $100 motor than is realistic--

Phil
Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Oh, put a decent steering servo in it(something 1/8 scale oriented with decent torque), the throttle servo will work until it gets a little play in it and then throw the old RTR steering servo in it if you want. Will get you by just fine, unless you want something better--

Phil
Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks farmerphil.

From the vids I've been watching I should be very pleased with it and can't wait until I get the truck.
doug e fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Whats a good pipe for the stock motor? Something thats better than stock of course...
TIZAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #21
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIZAO View Post
Whats a good pipe for the stock motor? Something thats better than stock of course...
the jp-2 or jp-3 work well. the 086 works well also!
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Losi 427 engine, or Losi 454 from ebay, JP-2 pipe(optional for starters.. Get the engine and servos first..) and two Savox 1258 servos. Maybe the stronger 1256 for steering(I just like the speed of the 1258).
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug e fresh View Post
Thanks guys.

Well why couldn't you get 8 gollens out of a stock motor? I understand what you guys are saying and appreciate your out put.

When I had my xxl I had got almost 13+ gallons threw the stock motor and my servos. Now why is it I can get 12+ gallons threw my xxls motor and servos but not threw the sc8?

My last question for you guys is,what motor and servos do you guys recommended? I'm looking to spend no more than 400$$ maby less. What do you guys think of the
novarossi. 28 7tt? I'm not a fan of Picco or there motors. Sure they make alot of power but to me there junk. I had a Picco.26 in my rusty and had nothing but problems with it. Yes I know how to tune the motor never went over 240$ and had plenty of smoke. It just had to many leaks. Not air leaks fuel leaks.

Thanks to everyone who had helped and your guys output.
If you want to try go for it nothing wrong in trying. I'm a fan of Picco engine had very luck good with them Picco .21, .26, .27, .28....Picco 26 ran good had slight bog because it had wrong low end needle with correct one in ran even better.

Trying to tell you which engine and servos to use always ends in pissing match. One person who may read this will say they're junk then another says they're not junk then someone else chimes in etc etc etc. Pick out what fits you the best for what you're planning to do and what you can afford.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #24
Tech Champion

New servos are more of a must though than a new engine. And Savox offers very good value for money. To the OP, good race-level servos - like the Savox - are worth the money and make a big difference. You'll see..

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to engines(cuz IMO you can get good performance for cheap - Mach, Losi, Go, Alpha, Argus, etc.. Breaking in an Argus in my SC8 right now..) But for good servos you have to pay - but agaim, it's worth it.. Servos are the first thing I would change in the SC8. Fast servos are fun..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno13 View Post
the jp-2 or jp-3 work well. the 086 works well also!
I agree!! JP-2 in the stocker in the videos above, I run a JP-3, the RB has a JP-4.

Phil