R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #31
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
Maximo if i correct you post the clockwork vids on that narly track with the tripple in the back. lol thats where i bet the breaks occur. To much motor maybe lol but i do see one little mess up and most cars will break there. Its hard to hit that big of a jump on the opposite side of the track perfect every time. But i wouldnt exspect anything to roll away from a wreck there either eveytime lol.
You are correct...the big jump is mainly where it happens.... definitely a big jump, tons of speed , plenty of bad crashes.....That is why I am saying what I am saying tho... we are crashing every brand equally hard, and the Mugens are the only ones that are breaking arms ..I love Mugens, I have been running them for years... I am in no way shape or form bashing the brand...But if there was to be a MBX7 produced I would would love to see a beefier front end.....Mugens are likely the most popular car at our club, and these issues did not show up till we started running on the new big air track...The Mugens are without question the least tolerant to frontal impacts and bad landings....Yes we are running very fast engines, on a very fast big air track and we are crashing hard many times over, So keep that in mind when I am saying this.....The car is awesome, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to add some beef to the front end...
Old 07-30-2011, 04:13 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am stationed in Japan and I usually see when they are running new "proto-type" gear. I haven't seen anything new since the Kyosho ST-RR truck. There are only a couple of them running around. But doesn't look like anything new from Mugen. Stick with the new chassis and springs and you're golden.
Revooooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

MBX6 PROSPEC and MBX6R should be released before the MBX7, no?
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #34
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo View Post
Ya I agree, the arms do seem to break quite frequently at our track, but they do seem to handle great.
It handles like a dream. But when that weather gets cold watch out and bust out some nitro stew 12-15 min cook time should do it.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #35
Tech Regular

I do not see anything wrong with the arms. Most cases it is a driver error that weakens/break the arms. They are not indestructible or fool proof. I believe it is in the drivers ability to evenly disperse the weight on landing.
In regards to a new type (mbx7) it will not happen for a while. I know there are suspension(arm) testing that has been going on for a while (7months plus) but nothing big.
www.abmods.com

Last edited by JoeGuam; 07-30-2011 at 08:54 PM.
JoeGuam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGuam View Post
I do not see anything wrong with the arms. Most cases it is a driver error that weakens/break the arms. They are not indestructible or fool proof. I believe it is in the drivers ability to evenly disperse the weight on landing.
In regards to a new type (mbx7) it will not happen for a while. I know there are suspension(arm) testing that has been going on for a while (7months plus) but nothing big.
Well of course it's driver error that breaks things, but driver's of other chassis's make the same errors but aren't breaking their arms over the same jumps. The front a-arms are an undeniable breaking point on the 6T, at least where I race. They also break in the exact same place, leading me to believe that it's a problem with the mold and compound. Also, even you said you know that they are testing suspension arms, if there wasn't an issue, they wouldn't be testing. I think Frank is right, they don't seem to break as often in warm weather..great machine once they work out the kinks.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #37
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo View Post
Well of course it's driver error that breaks things, but driver's of other chassis's make the same errors but aren't breaking their arms over the same jumps. The front a-arms are an undeniable breaking point on the 6T, at least where I race. They also break in the exact same place, leading me to believe that it's a problem with the mold and compound. Also, even you said you know that they are testing suspension arms, if there wasn't an issue, they wouldn't be testing. I think Frank is right, they don't seem to break as often in warm weather..great machine once they work out the kinks.
The A-Arms being experiemented is the rear and not the front.
www.abmods.com
Old 07-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #38
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGuam View Post
The A-Arms being experiemented is the rear and not the front.
..oh well, that must mean there isn't a problem then lol
Old 07-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #39
Tech Elite

The plastics on the mugen are very high quality imo. Except the A arms are a bit weaker then on other cars, but it's no problem for me. I broke A arms when I started with racing. I rarely break an A arm these days. I broke one in the last half year and it was almost freezing outside. I landed on the wing of a buggy and my suspension bottomed out and the A arm broke around the shockscrew.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have seen the videos from Neal also, and even in the vids trucks are not coming up short but overshooting that jump. With the air those guys are getting and if all trucks are overshooting, then why not try and move the lander for a better transition? That big air is sweet, but from what I have seen, that lander could be a bit better for all vehicles.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #41
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
I have seen the videos from Neal also, and even in the vids trucks are not coming up short but overshooting that jump. With the air those guys are getting and if all trucks are overshooting, then why not try and move the lander for a better transition? That big air is sweet, but from what I have seen, that lander could be a bit better for all vehicles.
Oh ya, it was a rough landing, but I think they changed it now. Even so, the new-gen Mugens seem to be breaking more front arms than any other truck from what I have seem. Again, I'm not knocking the truck, because it's one helluva racer ( I even thought about buying one when I seen what they did on a track ), but durability is key for me.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #42
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ther was an issue not so long ago.It seems they have fixed this problem as I have not broke any arms in a long while. I do drive at the nitro pit and it is as big as it gets. Go buy some new arms they are stronger.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #43
Tech Regular

I guess I am one of the few lucky people to get a hold of tough A Arms. I bash and race my buggy year round and seldom break my A Arms.
www.abmods.com
Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #44
Tech Regular

Default No personal issues with Mugen arms

Now i know i am just explaining an over-exaggerated issue here, but it wont hurt to add my experiences with relation to the local track, and the issue with weak front arms.

I am a junior racer (17 yrs) and from my experience with nitro 1/8th (all of 2 years or so) i cant say ive been to every track on the local map, but from what i have witnessed, mugen seems to be a fairly common brand among the local area, with a few hot bodies' and losi's thrown in the mix.

I am a Mugen racer at heart, and in my first season i completely built a run down mbx 6 m spec which arrived in bits. Running all the mechanical components which were about 2 seasons old, i was a little devious about the reliability issues i may encounter.

I ran this buggy for another season, and can proudly say that i didnt have a single issue with it, including no arm breakages, with only having to replace the chassis due to wear and tear, with the old track layout.

I have since got myself a jap spec long chassis mbx 6 which i have run about 2 racemeets on. Things seem very promising, even with the new track, which too contains 3-4 very high speed, high air rythme sections, and can say that the only cars i have seen break are the hot bodies' chassis.

Included is a link to the new track which contains a quick video of the layout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mT0T..._order&list=UL

As you can see there is a ski jump in the far right corner, which you hit at full tilt, and can jump around 8-10 metres if your generous on the throttle. This then leads to a quad section, which most take as a triple-single, once again you can clear 12 metres easy.

As you come around after the quad section, it leads into a set of triples, with the first jump being a half jump, to allow it to be a triple/double-single/plain double/ or a triple. there is a mesh fence on the right hand side to bar off drivers from shooting onto the main straight....

Last edited by zachattak; 08-01-2011 at 07:09 PM.
zachattak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8 View Post
+1
i don't run mugen but i see the same front end issue at any track with big air jumps.. but the funny thing is that mugen guys will deny that there is an issue with the durability of their plastics... other than that, the mbx6 & mbx6t are AWESOME machines.
I race a mugen buggy and I've never broken a part on the car. Now, i do have friends who break the truggy arms wayyyy to much, but that's just one more reason I can't stand truggy, they all break something...

The electric mugen guys break the front arms sometimes, but like I said, on my MBX-6 buggy it's been the most reliable car I've owned, even more reliable than my coveted xray...