R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Default Aerodynamics and off road racing?

Hello,

do the aerodynamics play any role in offroad? I mean I see many different body styles and I wonder if you can actually feel the difference on the track..

Same question for the wing
Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
Hello,

do the aerodynamics play any role in offroad? I mean I see many different body styles and I wonder if you can actually feel the difference on the track..

Same question for the wing
Yes for sure. Main reason I say this is the wing. Try to take the wing off your buggy/truggy and see the difference. I've never tired a lot of testing with many wing positions, but if taking the wing off makes a difference, moving the wing would surely have to make a difference even if its a subtle one.

As for the body. I've never done direct comparison by running two bodies on the same day, but I've changed bodies and noticed a difference in general. With a cab forward body, I've seem to get a little more steering, and a lot cooler engine temps. The only cab forward body I've ran is the DirtRC body for my D8, but bits still in the development stage.
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am not an engineer but I through the years I have heard that wind starts to effect aerodynamics at 5 mph. Now can anybody feel the differences maybe big changes. I am sure there are people who can feel small as well.

As for the body, I run the cab forward design for motor temps and turn in.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Thanks, that makes sense. I was looking at the new HB body that Hara is using and the rear seems to be dedicated to downforce. It's very different from what I've seen until now

Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

If (or should I say, "when") I snap off my wing in a race, I notice it on my buggy. On the truggy; no so much. It seems that the gyro effect of the big spinning tires compensates for any loss in stability due to a missing wing. Plus, the wing on my Losi sat so close to the body, there was very little clean air going over the wing anyway.

Now, with the cab-forward truggy bodies, this may be a different story since the wing is more exposed, but again, you've got the big gyros at all four corners. On high speed straights, maybe that nose does help. But the cynic in me says that any benefit is bogus marketing hype; at least with a buggy. There's a shock tower out front, so there's no clean air passig over the body.

Long story longer, for me, the body is never a consideration when doing any sort of set-up for a track.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniracer23 View Post
Yes for sure. Main reason I say this is the wing. Try to take the wing off your buggy/truggy and see the difference. I've never tired a lot of testing with many wing positions, but if taking the wing off makes a difference, moving the wing would surely have to make a difference even if its a subtle one.

As for the body. I've never done direct comparison by running two bodies on the same day, but I've changed bodies and noticed a difference in general. With a cab forward body, I've seem to get a little more steering, and a lot cooler engine temps. The only cab forward body I've ran is the DirtRC body for my D8, but bits still in the development stage.
I'm definitely agreeing that no wing makes a difference, but do you think that difference is really aero - or just weight removed from a very far rearward and high point? Probably a combination of both somewhat.

I've been wondering what effects different wings would have
Old 07-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Aerodynamics plays a very big role in all RC classes, some more than others.
Running without a wing is an extreme but an extreme that most drivers would notice. Different bodystyles or wingpositions requires a more skilled driver thats more intune with his car.
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

thats mainly for very experienced racers, i've been racing for 4 years and can't tell the difference of having no body on at all. the wing yes, adjustments of the wing are huge but i have not tried like a losi wing to see if it helps any.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_blaze14 View Post
adjustments of the wing are huge but i have not tried like a losi wing to see if it helps any.
There are other wings which give more downforce than the Losi wing. Tessman and others use the Losi because they want less downforce and they feel the two vertical tabs on the wing add straight line stability. The JQ and Serpent wings have similiar vertical tabs. If more downforce and stability is desired, the Serpent wing does it all. But I doubt many will be able to notice the difference.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=Pulse_;9421219]Thanks, that makes sense. I was looking at the new HB body that Hara is using and the rear seems to be dedicated to downforce. It's very different from what I've seen until

I run the Hot Bodies Trick body on my D8. Then when I moved to the J.Q. I cut them to fit it. Doing so moved it even more forward then on the D8. It seemed to plant "The Car" better.
Attached Thumbnails
Aerodynamics and off road racing?-015.jpg   Aerodynamics and off road racing?-016.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Tech Champion

[QUOTE=wankelhead;9421468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
Thanks, that makes sense. I was looking at the new HB body that Hara is using and the rear seems to be dedicated to downforce. It's very different from what I've seen until

I run the Hot Bodies Trick body on my D8. Then when I moved to the J.Q. I cut them to fit it. Doing so moved it even more forward then on the D8. It seemed to plant "The Car" better.
I saw your car on the JQ thread. There is not much choice of bodies for THE car so I was interested. I hate the Proline bulldog square look, I prefer the curves so that will definitely be an option added to my standard JQ body
Old 07-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Glad I could help.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The weight of the wings affects the cars coming through the corners. The shape of the wing and bodies only have importance mostly at the ends of straights and when the vehicle is in the air. If your track is big and open it matters a bit more than short and small bullring type tracks but skilled drivers will feel small differences no matter what track.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

it makes a difference but its not like 500 pounds of downforce it helps while jumping and cornering for sure u may not see the difference but drive a short course truck then drive a buggy and a truggy they r very subtle differences but not a major

Hotbodies cyclone moore speed-futaba servo-novak GTB-orion 17.5 BL-mazda6 body
AF1king_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
Tech Rookie

i agree i took the spoiler off of my ofna buggy it was only a small difference,(jumping mainly) well see how it handles as i turn it into a core truck............ i might create a thread on this
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote