Community
Wiki Posts
Search

losi 1/8 shock problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I had the same problem and what I did was to get a 2-56 set screw and put in the shock shaft first then you have to cut down the piston screw a little and drill out the hole in the piston that the screw go's in so the piston rotates on the shaft when the screw is bottomed out on the set screw ,use the set screw to adjust the piston so it rotates on the shaft ! result is the piston will spin on the shaft with out backing the screw out of the piston ..
Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Originally Posted by rc racer 103
I had the same problem and what I did was to get a 2-56 set screw and put in the shock shaft first then you have to cut down the piston screw a little and drill out the hole in the piston that the screw go's in so the piston rotates on the shaft when the screw is bottomed out on the set screw ,use the set screw to adjust the piston so it rotates on the shaft ! result is the piston will spin on the shaft with out backing the screw out of the piston ..
Thats a good idea, I will give that a shot
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

No disrespect but buy some calipers and check your droop
As per manual states
Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (97%+)

Originally Posted by dwkenn1
No disrespect but buy some calipers and check your droop
As per manual states
have them since we are engineers. have set them to the set up sheet. when at work i dont have my car with me to measure
Old 07-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

I do not understand what a number is going to tell me about my droop, I can say without an issue that my droop is set to limit my down travel before my shock bottoms out, I dont need a number to tell me this. Currently my arms are set to the point that they do not even sit level with the chassis they slop up, so I have negative droop trying to keep the shocks from pulling apart. so too much droop is not the issue.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Littlejohn Dsgn
I do not understand what a number is going to tell me about my droop, I can say without an issue that my droop is set to limit my down travel before my shock bottoms out, I dont need a number to tell me this. Currently my arms are set to the point that they do not even sit level with the chassis they slop up, so I have negative droop trying to keep the shocks from pulling apart. so too much droop is not the issue.
only a couple things can cause your screw to come out.

1. bad threads screw/shaft ... you took care of this with a new shaft and screw

2. wrong shaft.... what is this for, buggy or truggy, 1.0 2.0 front, rear ????

3. no loctite on the screw ... you say you took care of this with applying locite

4. too much droop ... you dont know your measurement, you CANT say 100% this is not your issue. buy or borrow calibers or a ruler with MM listed.

it only can be one of these things, your either not tightening the screw enough, wrong shaft, not putting loctite on or filling up the shock to soon or to much droop. What are your shock location also?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

imo droop has nothing to do with the shock piston screw coming loose ! It's the vibration from the engine and drive train that makes them come loose! with my method the piston screw bottoms out on the set screw and the piston will spin freely . myself and a few others that I have shown have been doing this mod for years and have never had one loosen up yet ! you don't even need lock tight ! (just saying )
Old 07-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Only once have I had a piston come loose on me, and it was simply because I forgot the locktite when rebuilding the shock.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

If using the same brand of thread-lock for all failures, have you considered changing brand? Maybe to one from Locktite or Permatex? And then alt least for this application, preferably one of the permanent types.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc racer 103
imo droop has nothing to do with the shock piston screw coming loose ! It's the vibration from the engine and drive train that makes them come loose! with my method the piston screw bottoms out on the set screw and the piston will spin freely . myself and a few others that I have shown have been doing this mod for years and have never had one loosen up yet ! you don't even need lock tight ! (just saying )
so over extending a shock has nothing to do with a screw coming out of the shaft in most cases the shock end will come out before the piston screw but i can happen. Im just trying to cover all his bases
Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

I saw someone else mention it before, and I may not be sharp enough to see that you already said you do it this way BUT...

Do you send that little screw thru the shock piston first, then apply the thread lock, then screw it into the shock shaft? I had this happen once when I was putting the loctite on the screw then screwing it thru the piston and the shaft at the same time. This left all loctite in the plastic piston and none in the threads of the screw. After putting the piston on the screw first I have never had this happen again.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Very good point Chris, I have done it that way since ever, only the one issue I already mentioned.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Tech Adept

Default Shocks

Jason....I have an extra set of shocks for a losi that I have run and never had that problem at all... I will give them to you at the next race to run and this way can see if its your setup or those shocks that you have now.....If they pull out or bend it doesnt matter since I dont run losi any more.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (97%+)

Originally Posted by totld1
Jason....I have an extra set of shocks for a losi that I have run and never had that problem at all... I will give them to you at the next race to run and this way can see if its your setup or those shocks that you have now.....If they pull out or bend it doesnt matter since I dont run losi any more.
Cool thanks bob.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by losi_racer
so over extending a shock has nothing to do with a screw coming out of the shaft in most cases the shock end will come out before the piston screw but i can happen. Im just trying to cover all his bases
IMO no on over extending as you say ,,, The screw that holds the piston is a 2-56 very fine thread , it's not pulling out of the shock shaft its backing out due to vibration un threading it self if you will ,, if the piston spins freely then it wont grab the screw and back it out ..

A bad engine bearing that buzz's when you rev it up will cause this as well ,,
just for kicks try this put a un-lock nut and a washer on say the top shock mount ,leave it loose ,start up your engine and watch what happens to the nut when you rev up to 30k rpms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.