R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to tq_racing Send a message via Skype™ to tq_racing

brother tried the limiter and it still did. think i might buy some new shocks and try from there
tq_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, the way I see it the screw is being pulled out or the piston is rotating and backing the screw out.

Good Luck.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #18
Tech Adept

I also havent heard of this problem or experienced it either.
Finger is pointing to over extending the shock shaft and pressure is on piston and screw.This wont last long like this loctite or not.Build the shocks again reset droop to say 94.5(just try shorter amount) do a test run.It its fine then its over drooping the shocks in your current set up.
You may also be over tighting the screw due to current shock blow out and maybe stripping them now.I also use red locktite that comes with kit.Dab in the shaft and on screw after piston is on tighten and let set over night but have also used rite away.
How are you measuring your droop?
Good luck
Dado
wiggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tq_racing View Post
brother tried the limiter and it still did. think i might buy some new shocks and try from there
Put the screw all the way through the shock piston and then put some new red Locktight on the threads. Wipe it off and use a rag to clean it. Re-apply red Locktight. Make sure to wipe off any excess and just leave a film on the threads. If you get liquid in the female shock-shaft threads, the screw will hydro-lock and feel like it is tight. Locktight is anaerobic and will not set unless threads are completely seated. It sounds like this is your problem.

Once you have this correct, tighten the screw with a good quality .050 Allen tip driver. You need a quality tool like MIP or Hudy, not a cheap L-key Allen wrench.

After you have the shock re-built and mounted, check and make sure the droop screw is limiting the A-arm travel and not the shock. Itís possible that your arms are warped and causing the shocks to limit your travel.

I canít think of any other reason your shocks would be coming apart.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
Tech Adept

well i guess for all the guys out there like mike.....
Dont fill female part of shock shaft full of locktite lol
Hey how have you been?It has been a while.
j/k for mike
Dado
wiggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Thought I would chime in since I am the OP brother. The droop is set to allow about 3/16" of the shaft to be in the shock before the piston hits the bottom, I have tried putting fuel tubbing in to help as well. Bought new shafts and screws, lock tighted them in and let site for 36 hours before filling with oil.

At this point I am pricing out a different brand of shocks to replace the losi with, at this point I have tried everything, even switched pistons thinking that might be the issue.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlejohn Dsgn View Post
Thought I would chime in since I am the OP brother. The droop is set to allow about 3/16" of the shaft to be in the shock before the piston hits the bottom, I have tried putting fuel tubbing in to help as well. Bought new shafts and screws, lock tighted them in and let site for 36 hours before filling with oil.

At this point I am pricing out a different brand of shocks to replace the losi with, at this point I have tried everything, even switched pistons thinking that might be the issue.
i had this same problem when i ran a 2.0B. ruined my bladders everytime. however... one i loctighted them and stoped cartwheeling on the track i never had the problem again.
Driving the best quality cars in the market.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808gx7r View Post
i had this same problem when i ran a 2.0B. ruined my bladders everytime. however... one i loctighted them and stoped cartwheeling on the track i never had the problem again.
Yup tried the locktight, even tried the no cartwheeling thing (to some sucess too ) never had my bladders ruined though.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
8T
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808gx7r View Post
We've been running Losi 8's and 8T's since they came out. Never had this problem, nor seen it happen! Do as others have mentioned and use red loctite after cleaning the screws and shafts with contact or brake cleaner. Do not put anything on the shaft between the piston and the shock body. There should be no type of limiter in there. Set the droop like mentioned above and you should have no problems. Also, ask someone with a Losi at your local track to have a look see, they may be able to help!
8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Quote:
Yup tried the locktight, even tried the no cartwheeling thing (to some sucess too ) never had my bladders ruined though.
if you have new shock rods and screws the only way they should come out is if they are continously hitting the bottom of the shock body... does the losi shocks run a shim under the piston??? when i run without one on my mp9 they come loose. with its fine.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8T View Post
We've been running Losi 8's and 8T's since they came out. Never had this problem, nor seen it happen! Do as others have mentioned and use red loctite after cleaning the screws and shafts with contact or brake cleaner. Do not put anything on the shaft between the piston and the shock body. There should be no type of limiter in there. Set the droop like mentioned above and you should have no problems. Also, ask someone with a Losi at your local track to have a look see, they may be able to help!

We have done as others mentioned with the locktight after cleaning with break cleaner and letting dry over night, also have tried with and without limiting with fuel tubbing. Droop has been set and reset by multipule people at the track who have tried to help us with this issue to no avail.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Quote:
We have done as others mentioned with the locktight after cleaning with break cleaner and letting dry over night, also have tried with and without limiting with fuel tubbing. Droop has been set and reset by multipule people at the track who have tried to help us with this issue to no avail.
seriously here. if its becoming a pain.. slab a bunch of lictight down there (make sure it is not moist (so cleaned properly)) then put it together, torq the screw tight and let it sit for 24 hours.

if that comes out... YOU are doing something wrong somewhere

p.s if your using the wrong screws... then that could be your issue.(remembering losis arnt metric)
Old 07-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #28
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:

What's the droop .how are you setting the droop .

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #29
Tech Master

I am using the scews that came with the new shafts, so I am assuming Losi would package the correct screw with the shaft.. Also I am putting a decent (not to much not to little) amount of locktight on them when screwing them in, getting them tight but not over tight to strip them out.

I do not have a droop quage to give an exact number, I put my chassis up on a block, and my arms are about level with the chassis with no shocks installed, fully extend the shocks next to the buggy and I have a good amount of extra down travel left in the shock, eye to eye is longer then monting point to mounting point.

What I do not understand is I have gottne new shafts, new screws, new pistons. Had several other people look things over (since this has happened at least half a dozen times already) and no one can figure it out. If its an uncommen issue then I guess my only option is to switch over to a different brand of shocks.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Quote:
I am using the scews that came with the new shafts, so I am assuming Losi would package the correct screw with the shaft.. Also I am putting a decent (not to much not to little) amount of locktight on them when screwing them in, getting them tight but not over tight to strip them out.

I do not have a droop quage to give an exact number, I put my chassis up on a block, and my arms are about level with the chassis with no shocks installed, fully extend the shocks next to the buggy and I have a good amount of extra down travel left in the shock, eye to eye is longer then monting point to mounting point.

What I do not understand is I have gottne new shafts, new screws, new pistons. Had several other people look things over (since this has happened at least half a dozen times already) and no one can figure it out. If its an uncommen issue then I guess my only option is to switch over to a different brand of shocks.
last thing to try is new shock bodies... as yours could have warped putting pressure on piston then when u land hard it puts xtreme pressure on the piston(pushing it up forces it to strip or start to unwind)