Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best clutch set up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Tech Adept

Default Best clutch set up?

I have the current stock MBX6T clutch set up and it needs replacing, what is the best way to replace it. Should I keep it stock, replace with carbon shoes to prolong bearing life? Or just buy a new clutch set up.

Open to all suggestions
Old 07-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I think

The best clutch of any brand is the Mugen setup. I would not use carbon shoes though. Get the Mugen Hard Alluminum Shoes and 1.0 springs. The stock shoes are really nice, but the hard ones last a bit longer and have smooth edges, and don't be afraid to replace the flywheel if it looks crappy, and use the tiny shims under the shoes to keep everything free and smooth.

One trick I've found to prolong bearing life is to take the clutch nut off, and grind the part that rides against the inner bearing really flat and smooth. Not much, just enough to give the shim that rides against it a slightly flatter spot.

I use a dremel cutting disk on low, but don't cut it, just put the face of the nut against the flat part of the disk and roate it once or twice...keeping it flat and even...

the added benefit is that you will have more room to shim the clutch bell perfectly in line with the clutch and the spur gear too......and use a cone washer on the end of the crank to hold everything on....
Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Inertia
I have the current stock MBX6T clutch set up and it needs replacing, what is the best way to replace it. Should I keep it stock, replace with carbon shoes to prolong bearing life? Or just buy a new clutch set up.

Open to all suggestions
alot of the guys I know and myself are using either a werks or ascendancy clutch easy to maintain and long lasting shoes easily the longest lasting out of any other clutch that I have used. there are carbon options and different springs availabe. check them out.
cheers
Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've used the Xray, Associated, and Ascendancy clutch. Xray is very similar to the Mugen. It's a great clutch and has a good feel to it. It does wear faster and wears the clutch bell too.
I have now switched all of my motors to the Ascendancy clutch and love it. It's much easier to maintain, bearings are lasting longer, it's easier to adjust, and has more spring and shoe options. It also doesn't wear the grooves into the clutch bell and they last longer as a result.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Ascendancy all the way.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

I've been a big fan of M2C 4 shoe for some time now. Set up right, they will last 3-4 gallons, even with my mod engines. For the first time in years, I will be trying a different clutch setup, and I'm quite excited about it.

I bought a couple of Buku adjustable clutches with the new Kevlar composite shoes from Clockwork Racing Engines..in fact, they just arrived today, I haven't mounted them yet, but I will be doing that right away. I snapped a couple of pics:

I'm sure most of you know that the engagement point is adjustable on the fly, by simply turning a grub screw in the flywheel that preloads each spring independently. I'm very excited to see this in action, now I'll be able to tune for the track conditions as they change throughout the race day, by simply turning a screw, instead of removing my engine and clutch shoes to change my springs. Kickass idea if you ask me!

Last edited by NitroFreakManHo; 07-06-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

How is the bearing life with the buku? It is the same problem as the standard 3 shoe. On shoe engages before the other putting more stress on one side of the bearing causing premature failure. It is a great idea for sure. Yes it is adjustable but unless they all engage at the same time it is a problem.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by janderson78
How is the bearing life with the buku? It is the same problem as the standard 3 shoe. On shoe engages before the other putting more stress on one side of the bearing causing premature failure. It is a great idea for sure. Yes it is adjustable but unless they all engage at the same time it is a problem.
Not sure yet my friend, as I haven't tried them out yet, I just got them today..but you can bet that I'll find out I understand what your saying about the uneven load on the bearings..so far, I haven't heard this to be an issue from the guys running them. I'm sure the bearings won't last as long as a 4 shoe, but bearings are only 99 cents, adjustability is priceless IMO.