R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Entry level 1/8 buggy advice needed... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/529834-entry-level-1-8-buggy-advice-needed.html)

rentachik 07-05-2011 11:23 AM

Entry level 1/8 buggy advice needed...

My brother and I are getting back into RC cars after a 7 year hiatus. We both had Nitro TC3s, he also had a Nitro XXX-t... I think. After recently discovering a local township park with a outdoor dirt RC track:D we had our intrests peaked.

We are looking for an 1/8 scale buggy, nitro, RTR, and inexpensive. (But not cheap)

We are looking to backyard bash, hit up the track for some practice/goof off sessions, nothing serious. Might, but doubtfull, race it.

Using a little google foo... we came up with a Losi 810, Ofna Hyper 7 RTR, and Team Associated RC8 RS RTR.

I'm really liking the Losi. Seems to be very well balanced, easy to get parts since most of the parts are off a 10T, mid priced ($400), decent radio... Can't really find a bad thing about it. Maybe a small tank, but you can mod a larger one in there. The 3.4 engine looks like a pretty hot one too.

So... of the three mentioned above, what are you opinions?

Also, would a buggy make a good RC to back yard bash? Not to say I'm wreckless, but I've spilled an RC car or two. Do they hold up to a pretty good beating, or should I go with a monster truck?

Thanks in advance,
Brad

TAMAK 07-05-2011 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by rentachik (Post 9348209)
My brother and I are getting back into RC cars after a 7 year hiatus. We both had Nitro TC3s, he also had a Nitro XXX-t... I think. After recently discovering a local township park with a outdoor dirt RC track:D we had our intrests peaked.

We are looking for an 1/8 scale buggy, nitro, RTR, and inexpensive. (But not cheap)

We are looking to backyard bash, hit up the track for some practice/goof off sessions, nothing serious. Might, but doubtfull, race it.

Using a little google foo... we came up with a Losi 810, Ofna Hyper 7 RTR, and Team Associated RC8 RS RTR.

I'm really liking the Losi. Seems to be very well balanced, easy to get parts since most of the parts are off a 10T, mid priced ($400), decent radio... Can't really find a bad thing about it. Maybe a small tank, but you can mod a larger one in there. The 3.4 engine looks like a pretty hot one too.

So... of the three mentioned above, what are you opinions?

Also, would a buggy make a good RC to back yard bash? Not to say I'm wreckless, but I've spilled an RC car or two. Do they hold up to a pretty good beating, or should I go with a monster truck?

Thanks in advance,
Brad

Just bought the 810. Changed to a 125cc tank right away, Savox 1258tg servo and also a hump pack. See my video in the thread below this one for the 810 . I really like it, maybe some new tires but so far its great, very happy.

sdtech58 07-05-2011 06:49 PM

I would go with whatever your LHS has parts for. Any of the ones you listed would be fine. You will probably want to upgrade the steering servo at some point on any RTR, but you wouldn't have to immediately if you are just bashing. If you plan to race, then you will need a better servo right away.

Buggy durability is good, but the right MT is much better. After owning buggies and driving a few Savages, I would probably say that I would go with the Savage for a pure basher. Just my opinion.

BradS 07-05-2011 07:00 PM

I started with an RC8RS. The rolling chassis was fine, I wouldn't recommend the electronics or engine it came with. The engine was a pain and gas hog. Still don't understand why they put a .28 on a buggy. I think it would maybe run for 4 mins. The losi 8 2.0 RTR looks like a pretty good setup, it's a little higher priced but has everything you would need to very competitive on the track.

oceanhighz 07-05-2011 07:09 PM

Personally for bashing around the backyard, I'd get a savage X SS. I have owned both buggies and that savage and the savage was more fun to bash. Plenty fast, could jump pretty much anything and I never broke anything. They are also fun to run on the track, as I did that as well. If I had to pick a buggy though, the Hyper 7 TQ would be the one I would get. The price is great and its a platform you can still get plenty of parts for. Price wise, for what you'd be using it for, it'd be hard to beat.

nitroexpress 07-05-2011 07:57 PM

Monster trucks are fun to watch on a track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ifZ3...layer_embedded

Frank L 07-05-2011 09:23 PM

You can't gor wrong with Losi. I drove an 8 for a couple years and they are great cars. They are tough as nails, easy to setup and because there are so many of them out there parts and support iarecalways easy to find. If your budget is for the 810 then go that route but if theres a little more in the budget the pop for the 8 rtr. Run it until the servos go, replace them and then run it for awhile. You can't go wrong with Losi as your intro into 1/8 buggy

hogmansp 07-05-2011 09:39 PM

+1 on the losi rtr

John. 07-05-2011 09:49 PM

I agree with Frank. Spend the extra and go for the Losi 8 2.0 RTR. It's well worth it.

Just add the following and you will be ready to try some racing as well.

2 * 4000mAh 7.2V stick packs for starter box
Fuel bottle
Glow driver
Charger

Although you will probably have to change the throttle/brake servo sooner rather than latter. Just get a metal geared servo. Doesn't have to be high voltage or super speed fancy (to keep costs down), as long as it's strong.

You can always add options to the buggy if needed later.

ironzgti35 07-06-2011 12:43 PM

Of those 3, I can only speak of the Hyper 7. I picked up the hyper 7 TQ Sport Black RTR from Tower for about $265. That .28 motor is a blast to bash with. i've never raced but this thing handles the bmx track I take it to without a problem. All i did was swap a hitec steering servo when the stock went (my fault). For the price I don't think there is a better deal and you can drop a receiver in if you want to get rid of the stock 2.4 remote.