R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I have to agree with R/C Lidz entire post. I have Had great luck with DE skids amd think they are great. And let's see a rear pack of skids $7.99 for three, that's $2.66 a rear skid. That's a whole lot cheaper then a $90 chassis you would have to buy every season on that track.

As for your DE skids sucks comment. That's wrongly worded. They suck on your track. They do what they are intended and take the abuse and not the chassis. Your track happens to be so rough and sandpaper abuses the heck of of the plastic skids. So quit bickering and buy some alm rear skids and be done with it.

There is nothing wrong with DE skids you are just expecting to much from a simple peice of plastic.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqNitro View Post

Furthermore,

You Said: " To bash a company on a public forum is useles and only makes you look bad"

My response: It is not bashing if it is true! Based on facts, and the pics that I have just posted, it just is what it is my friend!

You Said: "So please, put up some pics or do your own research to see what other choices are out there"

My Response: You now have your pics! And my "own" research is exactly what im doing here!

For the life of me, i'll never understand why, on a forum, a simple question cannot just receive a simple answer! It always has to turn into a trial! Let me know if there are any more pics that you would like me to post!
I'm with you on this. The product did not meet YOUR expectations and therefor YOU think it suck... It's as simple as that. You did not say that it "sucks" for everyone....

tech5 does of course not think they suck, he is sponsored by them OR uses them enough to put them in his sig. Of course he will tell you you are wrong, and I guess he will continue.

You say you have a rough track but that ain't so bad, take a look at the track I run at.... THAT'S like driving on rough concrete...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
I have to agree with R/C Lidz entire post. I have Had great luck with DE skids amd think they are great. And let's see a rear pack of skids $7.99 for three, that's $2.66 a rear skid. That's a whole lot cheaper then a $90 chassis you would have to buy every season on that track.

As for your DE skids sucks comment. That's wrongly worded. They suck on your track. They do what they are intended and take the abuse and not the chassis. Your track happens to be so rough and sandpaper abuses the heck of of the plastic skids. So quit bickering and buy some alm rear skids and be done with it.

There is nothing wrong with DE skids you are just expecting to much from a simple peice of plastic.
Fine and dandy but its not just the rears! And the front DE's are still $7.95 EVERYTIME I RACE! I have a better idea, im going to buy T-Bone Racing skids and be done with it! That type of warranty shows me a lot of confidence on behalf of the company.. And you can bet that after my first race with them, which is next weekend, that I am going to post up some comparison pics of the two different brands! I have a feeling that the T-Bone Racing skids are going to deliver much more than excuses for me!

Losi 8T 2.0, ClockWorkRacing O.S. 25XZ, S&W fuel.....
abqNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimpen717 View Post
I'm with you on this. The product did not meet YOUR expectations and therefor YOU think it suck... It's as simple as that. You did not say that it "sucks" for everyone....

tech5 does of course not think they suck, he is sponsored by them OR uses them enough to put them in his sig. Of course he will tell you you are wrong, and I guess he will continue.

You say you have a rough track but that ain't so bad, take a look at the track I run at.... THAT'S like driving on rough concrete...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
WOW! Thats actually a really cool track!

Old 07-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Quote:
Fine and dandy but its not just the rears! And the front DE's are still $7.95 EVERYTIME I RACE! I have a better idea, im going to buy T-Bone Racing skids and be done with it! That type of warranty shows me a lot of confidence on behalf of the company.. And you can bet that after my first race with them, which is next weekend, that I am going to post up some comparison pics of the two different brands! I have a feeling that the T-Bone Racing skids are going to deliver much more than excuses for me!
I wonder if those DE fans still gonna say that "their product" is better after those pictures come up???
Of will they just find another excuse to tell you that you are wrong in some way?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Just make sure you get the nylon skids from T-Bone. As stated in their warranty policy, only the Delrin skids for SCT's are covered under the warranty.

Based on how it reads, the nylon skids would be covered, but nylon is a much softer material than the Delrin, and will likely have similar wear characteristics as the DE skids. If you're OK with submitting a warranty claim after each race, then it's all good.

The debate regarding whether or not DE products suck in general could go on and on. The bottom line is that, even while they may be functioning as designed, they do not meet the expectations that you have, and you are the customer. In that sense, the product has failed. What works for some, may not work for others, but the product would still be suitable for the average customer. You just may be what is considered an "exceptional use" customer.

As an alternative, it may be worthwhile to think about aluminum skids, but you may also want to consider making your own, so that you can choose a more appropriate material.

You can buy UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic from places such as mcmaster-carr.com (here's a link to the sheet stock page). The UHMW plastic is very slippery, but still very wear resistant, and may work better for your particular track conditions.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

If the T-bones work better for you great. It's not like I never want you to find a fix for your problem. I am just saying for the standard guy on a standard clay track DE's are great. Your track isn't quite standard.

I hope the T-Bones work and you find a fix to your problem.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:

+ YouTube Video

It looks exactly like concrete....what is that, crush & run, or just plain gravel? I bet you chew through chassis and tires like they're made of jello!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

For me personally, I use the DE Racing Bumper in the Front, and then I use the TBone skid for the rear, as the DE Racing ones in the rear suck and get hung up. The TBone rear stays very flush to the chassis.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
If you are gonna quote a text you better quote the whole text: Delrin skids are not covered under our warranty with one exception; our short course rear skids that have an upkick. They just except the ones for Short Course vehicles that have an upkick.

Another question, all those guards make the screws just a tad shorter. Do anyone know where I can get longer screws for the Losi 8T 2.0.
I live in Sweden (Europe) and it's not easy to fins the imperial system screws here. If I could just find longer ones I could cut them to right length if too long.
Please read it again. It says Delrin skids *are not covered* except for the short course ones (with an uptick!). This thread is for the 8T 2.0 which is decidedly not a short course truck.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #41
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Just make sure you get the nylon skids from T-Bone. As stated in their warranty policy, only the Delrin skids for SCT's are covered under the warranty.

Based on how it reads, the nylon skids would be covered, but nylon is a much softer material than the Delrin, and will likely have similar wear characteristics as the DE skids. If you're OK with submitting a warranty claim after each race, then it's all good.

The debate regarding whether or not DE products suck in general could go on and on. The bottom line is that, even while they may be functioning as designed, they do not meet the expectations that you have, and you are the customer. In that sense, the product has failed. What works for some, may not work for others, but the product would still be suitable for the average customer. You just may be what is considered an "exceptional use" customer.

As an alternative, it may be worthwhile to think about aluminum skids, but you may also want to consider making your own, so that you can choose a more appropriate material.

You can buy UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic from places such as mcmaster-carr.com (here's a link to the sheet stock page). The UHMW plastic is very slippery, but still very wear resistant, and may work better for your particular track conditions.
I like that phrase, "exceptional use customer" Thats great man! It sure would be nice if someone made some skids out of polymer... Several manufacturers of rifle magazines are now using polymer and the stuff is damn near indestructable! There are even videos of soldiers out in the middle east parking their Hum V's on top of said polymer magazines to show the durability of them.. I wouldn't mind straight aluminum, but im kinda uneasy about metal to metal on impact.... Polymer wrapped aluminum would be really cool because you would have the strength and durability of the aluminum, but, you would also have the shock absorbtion from the polymer on landing too...

Bulgarians actually started making AK-47 magazines like that.With a polymer body, but the part that went up into the magwell of the rifle was actually steel wrapped in the polymer.. Those Bulgarian mags are considered the best AK mags ever made by many enthusiasts...

Old 07-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #42
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthird View Post
Please read it again. It says Delrin skids *are not covered* except for the short course ones (with an uptick!). This thread is for the 8T 2.0 which is decidedly not a short course truck.
Here is a direct link to the 8t skids.. In the description is clearly states that they ARE covered with the lifetime warranty.. http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-A-M/L...JA01-p390.html

Old 07-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #43
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

abqNitro,

Nylon and Delrin are polymer There are many different polymers.

The one used for rifle mags may be stiff and strong but abrasion resistance is a different story. Like carbon fibre is stiff, but grinds away very fast. Kevlar and Spectra laminates however have mega abrasion resistance.

Anyway back on topic, if anyone hates their skids, DE or otherwise, why not make your own? Isn't that the fun part of the hobby?
Cut out some 1.5 - 2.0mm aluminium (old road sign is perfect) and drill 4 holes, countersink and fit.

I used to make 1 layer of thin Kevlar moulded to fit electric onrad as they ground away plastic chassis pretty quick and they outlasted the cars. Looked pretty crap with the Kevlar all fluffed up from road wear, but they took a long long time to wear thru

Last edited by Mark _australia; 07-04-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Mark _australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Quote:
Here is a direct link to the 8t skids.. In the description is clearly states that they ARE covered with the lifetime warranty.. http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-A-M/L...JA01-p390.html
Yep, those are the nylon ones....they are indeed covered under warranty. Like I said though, they're proably gonna wear as fast or faster than the DE skids.

Honestly, the metal to metal impact isn't going to be a major issue. For folks who don't run skids at all, there's nothing to absorb the impact except the chassis itself. The slight cushion, if it can even be called that, from a plastic skid is negligible at best.

Try some different materials out, delrin, aluminum, UHMW, 12 year old sharp cheddar cheese , and see which ones work best for your conditions.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #45
Tech Elite

IM not sure what all the girlies are crying about. DE is made to wear so your chassis dosent. Period.

So the product sucks because it does what its suppose to......

This is Funny.... I needed a good laugh this morning.