R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New (to me at least) nitro buggy inbound

A friend of mine is sending me his old OFNA Ultra GT buggy. He used it for racing about 12 years ago before getting out of the hobby. It will need some TLC to get back into running condition but he feels that that will mostly be disassembling, cleaning and re-lubing. It has an OS 21RZ-B that will also need the same TLC.

Is anyone familiar with this particular model? I found what I think is the correct manual on the OFNA website to aid in taking it apart and putting it back together. Assuming I'm able to get it up and running are there any quirks I should know about?

This is my first nitro car but not my first nitro engine. I've dealt with nitro for airplanes for years so I'm familiar with the basics of nitro engine operation and care. I've been wanting to get a nitro car eventually but this literally came out of the blue!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Attached Thumbnails
New (to me at least) nitro buggy inbound-4668651-img_0673.jpg  
Tarasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Trugsta

Youve gotta be the same Tarasdad from the RCZ forums.?.
The best place to look would be at the ofna forums and take a scroll through the archives.
for info on the chassie.
also the offroad engine forum here would be a good spot to start looking for info on the engine..
I wish I could help more But the only Ofna product ive owned was a hyper 8port race engine and that was near ten years ago...
A huge thanks to.
www.motorsaver.com (the absolute best filters and savers on the plannet).
Trugsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Yep

I had one of those, it was my 3rd buggy. There were different versions obviously, that style of car had several models and lasted forever. I ran the dog snot out of mine. I would get some clutch shoes, and springs, new tires, and bearings. that car had all the same bearings for thediffs and axles so pretty cool. Mine had a red plastic spur gear, so do be careful setting the gear mesh, it never broke on me but things happen...

and make sure to check the front caster blocks and thread lock the screw that hold the parts together on the front whee it turns inside the wheels. The screws are a weird size and losing one is not the end of the world but is irritating...

I honestly don't remember breaking anything when I owned that buggy...but probably did. It was a long time ago...

Oh yeah get rid of that steering servo arm, and get a good one of those alluminum if you can

Put new diff fluid in the diffs, when I had mine we just used thick grease...

and if they leak you may try that....Fill up the center and use medium in the front and slightly less in the rear....

Check the tank really well it was kinda fragile, especially the lid....Be careful with that...

that's all i can remember right now......
Old 07-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for! I figure if nothing else this will make great teaching tool. If I can get it running, great, if not I'm not out a dime. Already found a couple of places where I can get parts for it if I really want to get it going. Heck, if nothing else I may end up with a good basher!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default cool

Ur welcome buddy....Good luck.....
Old 07-03-2011, 05:19 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We had them here as a Hong Nor Ultra GT. My first buggy about 10yrs ago.

Thought I'd mention it as when you are searching for info or parts you may want to search for Hong Nor Ultra GT also ...... as finding stuff may be hard now.

Speaking of the diff's and using light grease, we actually mixed grease and auto motor oil really well to thin it out a bit but still not so thin that it leaked.
Mark _australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

I'm not going to invest too much into this car, new tires/wheels, filter elements, glow plug - but only if I can get it running. Heck, I can get a brand new RTR for $250-$350, doesn't make sense to put too much into this one. If I can get it running with minimal cash outlay great, if not it'll still be something fun to tinker with.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wow, this thing brings back memories!! This was the same model as my first 1/8 scale buggy. Thing is tough as nails!! Only thing I ever broke was a front a arm. Ran it wide open into a big oak tree, and snapped the a arm. Used to take it to the local motorcross track and beat the ever living day lights out of it. Thing was a tank!!
RodneyPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to rc_in_mexico Send a message via Yahoo to rc_in_mexico

If you don't want to spend too much you could try to get a bunch of used parts. I'll send you a medium glow plug if you need one, I'm sure a bunch of guys here have spare parts theyd sell dirt cheap or donate for your car.
rc_in_mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Trugsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasdad View Post
I'm not going to invest too much into this car, new tires/wheels, filter elements, glow plug - but only if I can get it running. Heck, I can get a brand new RTR for $250-$350, doesn't make sense to put too much into this one. If I can get it running with minimal cash outlay great, if not it'll still be something fun to tinker with.
If you want a Great Value filter be sure to check out www.motorsaver.com
I use a few different kinds for different RC's Mostly with the outersaver. they last easy 3xlonger than normal filters so you dont have to worry about changing them as often especially with the outersaver wich the mesh is so fine its actually water proof great for peice of mind and confidence..
A huge thanks to.
www.motorsaver.com (the absolute best filters and savers on the plannet).
Trugsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

I'm going to wait until I have it and can give it a good going over before I worry about parts. Need to see if it's even worth spending money on first. The most I'd want to put into it initially is maybe $75. If it's in really good condition that may change. I know the OS 21RZ-B is going to be the big question mark since it's a discontinued model, and OS is bad about not keeping parts in stock for older engines. Still, if the chassis is in good enough shape I may even pop for a new (inexpensive!) engine.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:31 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

Finally got the buggy a couple of days ago. Came pretty dirty and oily, okay by me because it gave me an excuse to tear it down and check it out. Found a few parts that need to be replaced (bearings, one gear box, drive caps, tires/wheels) but nothing I didn't expect, really. However, I now have more questions about what I actually have in hand than answers! I really, really do not know for certain exactly which model I have. I've attached a couple of photos that might help identify it.

Overall the buggy is in really good shape for its age. Best thing is the engine turns over freely and has great compression, something I'd worried about as replacing it is out of the question from a money standpoint. Right now the "must replace" list is axle bearings, C hubs, gear box, wheels and tires. The fuel tank is in great shape, just needs a new seal for the cap. The shocks need a rebuild and new springs, although I may replace them entirely if I can find a good deal on a set that will fit.

Even if I never get it running I've had a blast tearing it down and cleaning it up. Learned a lot about how this type of car is built, as well as certain limitations of my RC tool box. I'm out nothing (so far) so it's all a plus as far as I'm concerned.
Attached Thumbnails
New (to me at least) nitro buggy inbound-buggy-1.jpg   New (to me at least) nitro buggy inbound-buggy-2.jpg   New (to me at least) nitro buggy inbound-buggy-3.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

Hello Gents,

I need to revive my old HONG NOR ultra GT. Last time i looked at it was 10 years ago with the knowledge that it had missing parts and a shot center differential. I still have the manual but the kit is in pieces ... more like 90% complete.

This kit has sentimental value for me, it was gifted to me by my father...and I would like to repair it to mint condition no matter the cost and let it sit knowing its functional and happy again.

Can anyone give me suggestion as to where I can find parts? I tried looking in to the Hong Nor Enterprise website and found no luck. I did send them an email so hopefully I get a response from them.

I did make my way to the OFNA website because to my memory the kit came in an "OFNA" box...and yet the manual says HONG NOR.... I was younger at the time and did not pay much attention to packaging.

I would be content with matching parts from a similar more recent model to retro-fit...but I am in desperate need to get her ripping again...

Thank you all, I hope ....

Regards

Tsukai
tengarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Default Hong Nor Ultra GT

Hello Gents,

I need to revive my old HONG NOR ultra GT. Last time i looked at it was 10 years ago with the knowledge that it had missing parts and a shot center differential. I still have the manual but the kit is in pieces ... more like 90% complete.

This kit has sentimental value for me, it was gifted to me by my father...and I would like to repair it to mint condition no matter the cost and let it sit knowing its functional and happy again.

Can anyone give me suggestion as to where I can find parts? I tried looking in to the Hong Nor Enterprise website and found no luck. I did send them an email so hopefully I get a response from them.

I did make my way to the OFNA website because to my memory the kit came in an "OFNA" box...and yet the manual says HONG NOR.... I was younger at the time and did not pay much attention to packaging.

I would be content with matching parts from a similar more recent model to retro-fit...but I am in desperate need to get her ripping again...

Thank you all, I hope ....

Regards

Tsukai
tengarang is offline   Reply With Quote