Wiki Posts
Search

Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)

Okay, so one of the guys at work was talking about using Tungsten Disulfide on his kid's Pinewood Derby car axles. Apparently, when this stuff dries on metal surfaces, it leaves a microscopic film on the metal that has one of the lowest coefficients of friction of any material known to man. That got the wheels turning...literally and figuratively!!!

Has anyone heard of this or used it in R/C applications? I was thinking bearings, ring/pinion gears, CVD's, etc. Heck, maybe even engine sleeves and pistons!!! Any metal to metal contact surface. Lower friction = lower heat and wear...

I've seen it as a spray or a talcum-like powder that you add to a lubricant to get desired effects, but it's fairly expensive.

Has anyone tried this in RC applications, and what were your results?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I haven't seen it, but there's some things you should consider and research before using it.

How long will it last before breaking down?
How is it affected by heat, dirt, nitro?
Does it act as a lubricant or strictly to reduce friction?
Does it bond on only certain materieals?
How stong is the bond? Will it wash off easily and need to be reapplied after every run?

That's just a few things that come to mind. I would be interested in seeing some, but I'm guessing it's similar to teflon and will break down easily.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Yeah, those were some of the same questions I had. From the short bit of research i've done, it appears that it will adhere to just about anything with the proper preparation. It is also completely inert, so it won't chemically attack metals, etc. Not much to read about using it in fuel/oil mixtures, but seems to be used pretty extensively in critical industrial applications with lubrication systems only.

Might have to do some more reading. Not sure about wear, etc. Is one coating enough, or do you have to do it all the time?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I believe that this is the same product used in micro blue bearings. They make bearings for 1:1 racing and karts etc. A friend of mine just ordered this after doing a lot of research. It's an amazing product but requires proper application to receive full benefits. The downside to me for rc use is that it is broken down by water. Apparently is very tolerant of chemicals but water is absorbed by the chemical which softens it and will allow it to flake off. I've heard that there are people coating full size engine components and the only problem is that they don't make as much heat and therefore as much power without changes to the cooling systems. If that were true it could work well in our engines.