R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Default RC8B, Intech, Serpent, or Agama Buggy??

Sorry for asking such a newbish question, but I've read myelf in a daze.., and would kind of like to hear from anybody who has had experience with two or more of the buggies listed..

I'm in the market for a new buggy I think. I'm looking especially at the Intech, Serpent, and Agama. Or maybe just sticking with Associated since I already have parts, and parts are everywhere and cheap. The Intech and RC8B would be cheapest. I'm not a really serious racer. I would like something though that I could race with a couple times over the next year or two if time, work, weather, etc.. permit. I'd mostly be running it for fun on local offroad tracks, and using it to break in engines. When I read about all these new buggies, it sounds like people are constantly having to search for a good set-up, having to fabricate this or that mod or upgrade, taking parts from other brands, etc etc.. What I want is a good solid buggy that will be tough, user-friendly, and get the job done without a bunch of fiddling necessary.. I had an RC8 before and loved it. Never really messed with the setup, just ran it, and liked it like that..

The RC8B is attractive simply because I already have a bunch of Associated parts, and parts are readily and cheaply available. I think though I would feel like I'd spent money on last year's news.

The Intech and Agama intrigue me the most. Both are relatively cheap-ish, and seem to get rave reviews. The Intech is €70 cheaper - a good bit...

Not sure what to think about the Serpent. If I were to hear things like "it's bullet-proof and easy to set-up", I might be persuaded. I like hearing things like "you'll rarely need spare parts for it", which I think I have heard here and there about the Serpent.. Serpent btw seems to have better parts support than the Agama or Intech(unless I can really take X-ray parts for the Intech... Not sure on that..) Important for me is being able to get stuff from ebay.. Faster, and more reliable than having to mail around to shops and see what they have in stock, etc..

Anyway, any input appreciated.. Thanks.
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Id probably get a Mugen MBX6 if I were in your shoes to be perfectly honest.
I have an RC8B thats for sale now and Ive run it for 2 seasons. Not really the best car out there to be honest, its old in the design and its alot heavier than most of the newer cars. Its fairly durable though but yea, I dont know, there are better cars.

Have no experience with the Intech or Agama, I do have experience with the Serpent though as that is my current car.
Its not the cheapest car to run. You dont need parts from other manufacturers but you do "need" a few optional parts for it to run well. Yes you can run it out of the box but I wouldnt really recommend it. Its also not a car you simply put together and then go out racing. It takes time and patience to get the most of, like most Serpent cars.

If I wanted a steady, easy to drive car that simply works, I would as I said get a Mugen MBX6. Theres a ton of those at my local track and they are really good solid cars that simply works. Im not really a fan as I think theyre kinda boring but thats my personal oppinion
Theres also the MP9, but its extremely expensive, but if your budget allows it then go ahead.

So yea there you have my view on it. Im sure some people might not agree but thats life.
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I run the Agama and its an awesome buggy! Very durable. Out of the box I was as fast with it as i was with my previous car that I ran for 2 years! Its very stable and customer support is top notch
Josh Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I have an RC8B i just put the suspension upgrade from the world's and the car drives way better it's alittle heavier then most cars but very durable
chevydc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

we run the Serpents...we run them nearly box stock and they are kicking my Mugens ass around the track........We have upgraded to a quick change motor mount and rreplaced the plastic break away nuts...other then that our cars are box stock and absolutely dialed.....
Old 07-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Actually, I would love the new Mugen MBX6 EU, but it costs about €550.. That's just way too much when the Intech costs €330... I think what I probably need is just a good, used RC8B roller.. With the RC8T, SC8, and RC8 series, the Asso is just convincing with the parts availability..
The Intech at that price though makes me want to stray. The Agama I'd really like based on what I hear, but at the Intech's price.. There are just so many good buggies out there these days it seems..

When I see close-ups of the Intech, it DOES look good I must say..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydc44 View Post
I have an RC8B i just put the suspension upgrade from the world's and the car drives way better it's alittle heavier then most cars but very durable
heavyer and wider is working out better at the moment for everyone
both AE and kyosho are spot on, both wide and heavyer and they are winning... maified. cav and jared tebo, cody are always at the top at thier races now being the most consistant drivers.

i found the lighter cars arnt great through the bumps and are spot on in cornors and jumps if you stay on line if not on line then they become harder to drive.

the heavyer/wider cars can be pushed harder, if you watch some of the latest videos when the heavyer cars start pushing hard in cornors etc they are still very stable, more then the lighter cars.

at this stage of devlopment in 1/8 buggy i would only drive either kyosho or AE
just my .02c
Driving the best quality cars in the market.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I picked up a used hara edition d8, and I swear my old heavier d8 is faster. I'll play with set up a little more, but may end up selling it and keeping my old one.
Muggified LST- Teal head 427, RD logic pipe, JR servos, panther tires
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
we run the Serpents...we run them nearly box stock and they are kicking my Mugens ass around the track........We have upgraded to a quick change motor mount and rreplaced the plastic break away nuts...other then that our cars are box stock and absolutely dialed.....
Same here....mine is stock and I was instantly turning faster laps with it then my MBX6 or my Losi 2.0. Car is bomb proof, just swap the factory bearings as you go with Avid or TKO...and its money.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I recently built an agama with a little help from a buddy but the car went together easily without any modding. It reminds me of a Losi with Mugen suspension. I threw springs, pistons, alum bearing holders and an extended engine mount. Took it to the track and and I was instantly at home with it. I did have some help from jaz240 on setup. It it drives great.

I also recently started rolling a serpent. I threw a ton of alum stuff into it and it drves great. Both cars are easy to drive IMO and respond to setup changes. At a recent series race i decided to run 1 qual with each And my times were within 1 sec. So as far as I'm concerned they are the same. I choose to drive The serpent I think mainly because I dropped so much extra $$ into it. I don't think it was needed at all but an alum center diff mount is just too cool for me to pass up

I don't think you can go wrong with either car. All cars break if you smack them hard enough but these 2 are pretty solid. I think traction is up a little in the serpent but the agama jumps better than any car on the market. Either way you will be happy between agama and serpent.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808gx7r View Post
both AE and kyosho are spot on, both wide and heavyer and they are winning... maified. cav and jared tebo, cody are always at the top at thier races now being the most consistant drivers.

i found the lighter cars arnt great through the bumps and are spot on in cornors and jumps if you stay on line if not on line then they become harder to drive.

the heavyer/wider cars can be pushed harder, if you watch some of the latest videos when the heavyer cars start pushing hard in cornors etc they are still very stable, more then the lighter cars.

just my .02c
I dont really agree with that. It might be a setup thing but my Serpent is way better at our bumpy track compared to my old RC8B.

As for Tebo, Maifield and the lot. I doubt it matters what car they run theyd win anyways. Its 90% the driver and 10% the car basicly.
Kyosho and Team Associated just happens to be large companies with alot of money to spend on teamdrivers.
Look at Serpent for example, they have Easton but hes fairly busy testing new parts more than he is trying to win races.
What Im saying is, dont buy cars after which cars win races.
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I wouldnt buy the Rc8. To me they are old heavy and not worth the time or money. The mugen is nice but they snap A arms left and right and are very pricey. I have had both of these cars. I have heard that the Agama needs a new set up every week and is not consistent. I would go with the Serpent if I were you, if those are what you are looking at. I drive HB and love it but always wanted to try the Serpent.
Hitec
Pro-line
Fatam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

very untrue bout the agama. I havent changed my setup for 2 months now and have raced on insanely rough tracks to super smooth tracks with the same setup. For the money the agama is a awesome buggy
Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

it took me a long time to find a place to call home with my racing and when serpent offered i said i give it a try. and with that i will say i found my home some where the car suite me well.
i love racing truggy by far my fav class and find a car you can switch back and 4th from between quals is amzing i love the fact you can push it jumps oh and it got traction for days
Old 07-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808gx7r View Post

just my .02c

+1 especially on buggy i think heavyer whould be better its way more stable you can drive it harder and is better on a rough track and easier to drive.

i dont have the rc8b but i think im going to sell my eight 1.0 and buy one since i have a rc8te .

now people will say its just the driver on the two guys you metion but i think some of it is dued to the car also.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote