R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default What is the ultimate way to exhaust nitro fumes indoor.

Like the title says. Doing some research. I basically want it to work well enough that you dont have to wear a mask. If it helps any, there is already installed industrial ventilation, which can moved need be. Some may say that would be enough, but most that know anything about nitro fumes, know it just sits there and lingers, unless the vents are low enough (20 foot ceilings), then I guess the thread is useless since I got the answer already installed.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Tech Adept

i would look into an air exchange system. i know their pricey but it always kept the air quality good in one of the welding shops i worked in.
markkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Run electric only.
l3asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
Like the title says. Doing some research. I basically want it to work well enough that you dont have to wear a mask. If it helps any, there is already installed industrial ventilation, which can moved need be. Some may say that would be enough, but most that know anything about nitro fumes, know it just sits there and lingers, unless the vents are low enough (20 foot ceilings), then I guess the thread is useless since I got the answer already installed.
2 winters ago we ran in-door nitro with good success. We used 3 - 36" chicken house fans pulling and 1-2 36" fans pushing fresh air in mounted on the opposite end of the pulling fans. When it got really cold we turned the pushers off. To keep people from passing out from nitro fumes we also seperated the Pit area from the racing area using 6mil plastic. It kept heat in and cold/fumes out.. We raced from Nov - April with no one complaining about fumes.

We also made it very clear that no Nitro cars were to be started in the Pit area.. I wish I had pics of it, because I know it would make more sense if you could see it..

Hope this helps and good luck..
Old 06-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyM View Post
2 winters ago we ran in-door nitro with good success. We used 3 - 36" chicken house fans pulling and 1-2 36" fans pushing fresh air in mounted on the opposite end of the pulling fans. When it got really cold we turned the pushers off. To keep people from passing out from nitro fumes we also seperated the Pit area from the racing area using 6mil plastic. It kept heat in and cold/fumes out.. We raced from Nov - April with no one complaining about fumes.

We also made it very clear that no Nitro cars were to be started in the Pit area.. I wish I had pics of it, because I know it would make more sense if you could see it..

Hope this helps and good luck..
So you created a suction from one end of the building to the other, right?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
So you created a suction from one end of the building to the other, right?
Essentially I guess you coudl say that.. It wasn't sealed, so I wouldn't call it a suction, but it moved the air through, and lept visibility up, and fumes down.

The track was built in an old Horse Barn, which was very drafty, what we did was open the to end doors, and built the fans one on top of the other. The fans were simply slid against the door jam, and then the sliding door was slid against the fans.. We did this on each end, and it worked well.. It might not work liek this for every application, but something could be made up..

If the building your looking at / have already has ventilation built in I suggest using that. If the vents don't have fans find a way to mount a fan on them to push the inside air out.. You won't need fans moving air from outside to in, but they can be handy..
Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you are having issues with bringing temps up in the building, you could get the large heaters (250,000 to 350,000 btu's) used in construction that are OSHA approved (they have t-stats and overheat protection). THey can run off of 1000 gallon propane or natural gas line. These heaters use a large fan to blow the heat from the burner into the air. I'm not sure how much they cost to purchase as we rent them for the cold season (about $250 a month) when we get into finishes in the condo buildings I build.
If you were to use these, put the butt end of the heater at the overhead door and close the door to the top of the heater. it will pull in fresh air and you may not even have to use fans at the opposite end to suck out either. When running they dont soot or put out any additional fumes.
beidle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jesse Robbers

If using fans the fresh air needs to be drawn into the track area from one side and sucked out through a door in the opposite side of the building, making a cross wind of sorts. Air scrubber machines, not sure if that's the correct term, would be the best option for air quality, but the size and definitely the price is not realistic for r/c budgets.
Sponsored by: O.S. Speed, KO Propo, Sidewinder, Tekin, Thunder Power, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Fioroni, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, Competition Heat, Dialed Inc., LiveRC.com, DE Racing, CIG2O, ANDROID Nitro Runtime Calculator App
Jesse Robbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We race at an indoor track and they have 4 warehouse fans. All four suck air out. Nitro smell is not really an issue. they look like something on this page.

http://www.pattersonfan.com/VentilationFans.html
l3asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what if ya got creative and put vents under the track at various spots then used ceiling fans to circulate the air and the warmer air down in the winter months just my 2 cents
welderllj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by welderllj View Post
what if ya got creative and put vents under the track at various spots then used ceiling fans to circulate the air and the warmer air down in the winter months just my 2 cents
Rc Pro ProDucts Team Driver www.rcproproducts.com
Hobby Pro USA Team Driver www.vp-pro-usa.com
thenova70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenova70ss View Post
use some grates and pipe to some big blowers kind of like a cold air return like on your furnace, nitro kind of lingers around the ground ....just a thought and the fans would keep the air moving down towards the vents
welderllj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Trugsta

Open windows and osolating fans (the fans that move from left to right) is all ive ever needed the bigger the fan the better and your eyes wont water and you can only just smell the fumes faintly..
A huge thanks to.
www.motorsaver.com (the absolute best filters and savers on the plannet).
Trugsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by welderllj View Post
That was thought of, maybe running lines inside the big O pipe.